User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  1

Thread: On site printing

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On site printing

Does anybody here have experience in setting up an onsite printing site at sporting events?If you have what programs did you use and how many printers did you use?Thanks Russ

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bitrusty View Post
    Does anybody here have experience in setting up an onsite printing site at sporting events?
    Yes we have. And also at many Social Events such: as School Formals and Awards Nights.

Quote Originally Posted by bitrusty View Post
    If you have what programs did you use and how many printers did you use?
    Canon Imaging, Photoshop and LIghtroom. Lightroom mainly - but that was never a big consideration as we captured JPEG to turn around SOOC, so the Post Production is in the camera's preset profile. We used EOS 5D's or 50D's mainly.

One or two printers used, but always had two on site.

I don’t think this is an easy job.

Hopefully these following comments will assist you, perhaps avoid you making a mistake, as I note that you’re allocated “beginner” status and you have posted this question in the “The Business of Photography” forum - which indicates that this is a paying job.

Also please understand that you have provided exceptionally scant details of the endeavour which you are considering: it is exceptionally difficult to give any targeted advice without an adequately informative question being provided.

As an overview for your consideration:

We typically captured JPEG SOOC and either physically ran the cards after a session of shots to the printing table – OR - direct upload to the printing table where the customer service sales person prints from the JPEG file.

A sporting gig can (broadly) fall into one of two categories:

a) A “team match” (like football) then the ‘action shots’ need to be ready for VIEWING well before the prospects go home otherwise you will not get any sales on site:

b) An “events sport” (like swimming) then the swimmers will typically swim more than one event and there is ample time to manage ‘action shots’ and also the ‘medals’ presentations’ in an adequate turn-around time (except for the last few events of the day).

For an ‘intended shot’ (for example medals’ presentation) we would most usually take the order and money prior to the shot at the same service desk: the client (maybe with a token) then has the posed shot taken and then walks over to collect the print.

I think that the main issue you need to consider with on site printing at Sporting Events is, if you are NOT working on a prepaid system - you must work out how you are going to provide the VIEWING for the clients to choose the photographs that they will buy.

You should buy or rent a commercial dye sub printer (or two). We’ve mainly used Kodak - Kodak don't make them anymore – and paper is in short supply for them. But there are other sub dye printers on the market. I am not up to date with the renting/hiring possibilities

Probably the slickest we have done was at School Function (think couple’s and four person portraiture – so same would be akin to the medals’ ceremony at a sporting gig): allowing about 30~60 seconds for each sale to be completed and then a subsequent 30 seconds for each image to be captured and another 45~60 seconds for the printing of each image: that was with a team of three on the desk and me and also a second Photographer shooting.

You need public liability property and third party personal injury insurance: our company carries $20,000,000 coverage in this regard.

WW

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks William,
    I mainly cover motorsport events so competitors are around all day and usually all weekend.Im thinking about 2 printers one for 12x8 and another for 18x12s.These seem to be the sizes that sell best.Still undecided on how to view images to customers im thinking a few screens to view and order on instead of printing small images to normal paper which i have seen done.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you use screens to view, then take into consideration where you will be located --- watch out for glare on the screens if you are located outside.

Good luck with it.

WW