User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  1

Thread: New laptop - 15.6 or 17.3 (1080p)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New laptop - 15.6 or 17.3 (1080p)

I'm curious to hear from people who use Lightroom & PS for post work on a laptop.

I'm getting a new one but I'm unsure weather to go 15.6 or 17.3

The system is sorted, customized systems, they have the best display options with the 15.6 offering 95% of NTSC Gamut (about 100% of aRGB) and being a matte finish or the 17.3 with a glossy 90% NTSC (which works out to close too 100% aRGB). Colour wise most laptop screens are very limited in the gamut, everyone kept telling me to look at Mac Pro Books, yet compared to the screens mentioned they also lack in colour range, so I'm not spending 2x the price for a similar spec'd machine with less colour ability because of a logo on the back lol.

Both options are 1080 x 1920 so res is high enough, I'd imagine things will get small/tight at 15.6 in lightroom however?
    The 15.6 is this system here will be this exact spec but optioned with the higher gamut screen

17.3 is this system, same spec effectively, again though optioned up with the higher gamut screen

I do want a 17.3 for the size but superior screen + matte finish is tilting me towards the 15.6. Curious to hear other users thoughts.

I currently use a 15.6 with 1368 x 768 screen, don't use lightroom as the machine cannot handle it, just photoshop and ACR.

Commercial links removed. Please read site rules regarding new member restrictions.
    Last edited by I @ M; 10-07-2014 at 2:26pm.

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Both are the same for specs, except for screen size? Then how's your vision?
    If OK, go for the one with the preferred finish.

I recently HAD to get a 15-inch screen because they had none of the same specs in 13-inch
    Am.
    CC, Image editing OK.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, exact same specs, I did put a link but didn't realise shouldn't put commercial links, oops lol.

My vision is great (*unjinx*), that's a good point, 15.6 I think it is, the supplier/manufacturer just replied to an email (inquired as to the panel brand/model) and recommended the 15.6 95% for my required usage.

copy and paste from my 'cued' order . Spec wise it should make light work of LR & PS I think?

Display 15.6 FHD (1920 x 1080) LED Matte 95 Gamut $109.00
    Graphics Nvidia GeForce GTX 860M with 2GB GDDR5 VRAM $0.00
    Processor Intel Core i7-4710MQ Processor (6M Cache up to 3.50 GHz) $0.00
    Memory 16GB 1600MHZ Memory $99.00
    mSATA (Not Installed) $0.00
    Hard Drive Plextor 256GB M5 PRO XTREME SATA3 SSD $0.00
    Hard Drive 2 1TB 7200RPM HDD $156.00
    Hard Drive 3 (Not Installed) $0.00
    WiFi Intel 7260 Wireless Card $19.00
    Optical Blu-ray Reader / DVD +- R/RW DL $0.00
    Windows Windows 8.1 64BIT $99.00
    Total $1,881.00
    Last edited by SpoonyDan; 10-07-2014 at 3:17pm.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Figured I'd update this thread for anyone else maybe considering a laptop for post production. Calibrated the screen using a Spyder4Express (which did a poor job with their software mind you, huge green cast, ended up hacking about using 3rd party software, hmmmm).

In anycase it achieved pretty good gamut results, so am quite satisfied with the purchase. LR/PS performance is awesome too, how good is LR to use (avoided prior due to poor equipment haha)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know if this is practical for you or not, but have you considered hooking your laptop up to a monitor? That way you can have any size you like. One problem with a laptop is that you don’t have to change your angle of view much for things to look completely different on screen, I used to find that a bit of a pain really. Life is a whole lot easier with the monitor set up.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is a good idea, In time I'll likely get another display but currently use it in various locations so it's handy, I also hate being tied to a desk to much (reminds me of work haha). Your points about angles have merit to but it does depend on the panel in the laptop, my old one for example was shocking, slightest angle difference and the image changed, new one is many many times better, it takes a substantial angle difference (certainly not one would experience in general use) to shift things.

The main plus with a desktop screen (and I'd want 27inch + to make it worth it) would be the size and less hitting 'F" for full screen in Lightroom