Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DSLR for between $1K-1.5K?

Hi all,
    I’ve been lurking for a while and have decided to take a plunge and get a proper DSLR. I’ve currently got a Panasonic DMC-GX1 which is OK but after having just returned from overseas, I’m not quite happy with the image quality.
    While I enjoy the camera’s compact size, the images just aren’t up to scratch.

What I’m hoping for is:
    Price between $1000-1500
    Something ideal for landscape photos. Mostly nature but some cities, buildings and machines (cars, trains, aircraft…etc).
    I’d prefer a single lens as I don’t need to zoom in often and prefer not to have to constantly change the lens. So I'd be lookin for a lens and camera for ~<$1500

I look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Moderately Super
    Marlo, a small coastal town in the far east of
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi PaulST, welcome to AP.

Your question is a question that is often asked. How about you post some of your photos from the Panasonic in the relevant forums so we know what sort of images you have taken. That way whoever then advises you might have a better idea as to what might suit you, or an idea perhaps as to how to help you master your Panasonic before buying something new.
    Nikon F65, D50, D200, D700

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I would say any of the entry level DSLR from the major companies coupled with their 18-200mm lens would be a good starting combination within your budget. Brand choice is just that, like Holden and Ford, it is really just personal preference. All brands produce great entry level kits and you cannot really buy the wrong brand.

Now, I also agree with Am ^^. Buying a more expensive and bigger camera does not mean better photos. Most good photography is about 80% photographer and 20% gear. So if you feel your photos are not up to scratch, it could be that the photographer just needs to learn more, and how to make the camera take the photos you want. So please, post some from your Panasonic, tell us why you feel they are not up to scratch and perhaps we can get your issues resolved without the need to buy new gear at this time.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the replies.
    As suggested, I started a new thread asking advice as to how to improve my GX1's image quality here: http://www.ausphotography.net.au/for...18#post1246818

No worries Rick. Nothing personal. I'm happy to learn. I think I'm OK taking photos but it's just the quality of the image that seems a little off. I've attached one of my recent photos to the thread I've linked to above.

Thanks!