Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  3

Thread: Reactivating acsess to AP?

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Reactivating acsess to AP?

Does making a brief post to someone in Introductions reinstate your access to AP?
    Over a period of time I've noticed that some not particularly active members make a bland welcome comment. I presume it's because it gives access to AP again?
    Yep, I could go and look at the rules, but I'm a bit lazy and someone else will know the answer.
    "Enjoy what you can do rather than being frustrated at what you can't." bobt
    Canon 80D, 60D, Canon 28-105, Sigma 150-600S.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark L View Post
    Does making a brief post to someone in Introductions reinstate your access to AP?
    Over a period of time I've noticed that some not particularly active members make a bland welcome comment. I presume it's because it gives access to AP again?
    Yep, I could go and look at the rules, but I'm a bit lazy and someone else will know the answer.
    Yes it does Mark! We see them too. Sometimes I send them a personal message asking them to show us some photos and join in more. But if they do not take that hint on-board, then our inactive schedule soon works to their disadvantage. The inactive cycle is a reducing one. Each time they go inactive, it triggers a cycle that is smaller the next time they go inactive. Something like this 90 days, go inactive, post, go inactive after 60 days, post, go inactive after 30 days, post, go inactive after 15 days, post, go inactive after 7 days.. right down to a 24 hour inactive cycle. If someone due to no fault of their own, goes inactive (sickness etc) for an extended time, one post re-activates them and 6 months of being active again, gives them back a full 90 day cycle.

So those that just want the benefits the site offers, the knowledge pool, the competitions, the new to photography books etc without actually giving something back to the site, soon find their access is no longer viable. Ausphotography is primarily a forum, which by definition is a place to interact, have your say, listen to others, learn, impart your knowledge to others, vote, and more. So we reward those who do this, by giving them full access to the site. I am well aware that we have been the topic of discussion on other forums, negatively, about this, but then some of these other forums never offer up prizes, none of them have a New To Photography book, and some do not even run competitions for their members at all. My thoughts are that our prizes should always go to those who are active contributors on AP.

So if people do not want to join in, ultimately they are the ones that we will not really miss when they no longer post their two word comments to re-activate. Ultimately we cannot force them to contribute. But we can stop them USING the site and information the members have posted.
    Last edited by ricktas; 25-07-2014 at 7:59am.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography