Have always been challenged by night shots. Late last year wanted to take candids and people pics at a night (outside) and so purchases a Canon EF 50mm 1:1.8 - I know it's at low end of market but this was 1st additional lens to 550D kit lenses. Did not know much about the lens and as not had any practice I just used in Auto. While party was under blue fairy lights I was totally disappointed in shots - mainly due to clarity - some color issues. In early July (lens had not seen the light of day since Dec due to issues) I decided to try it again this time in a restaurant at night. Again I was disappointed in quality of shots. I am obviously doing a few few things wrong but at other times it seems to lack clarity when focus should have been right?

I used an Aperture of 2.

I would like to be able to have a shot of 2-3 people at a time but this most always may mean they are/may be at different distances from camera. To achieve this is it a simple matter of a higher app and therefore does this negate the benefit of buying the quick lens? I would also prefer no flash but that means more challenges.

Included 3 samples which seem to have reduced clarity due to resizes.

The 1st shot actually has the best overall look but still not as clear as I would have thought. The second does not have any area focused correctly and 1 focus point is on the male. The 3rd has the best focus of any shot which is the girl in front. The rest are out of the DOF.

Any help appreciated.

IMG_4664.JPGIMG_4680.JPGIMG_4671.JPG