Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  6

Thread: Going to buy a walk-around lens, 18-200 zoom or more

Former Username : Wetpixels
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Going to buy a walk-around lens, 18-200 zoom or more

I am aware of the limitations of a lens that attempts to do everything, but I going on a long holiday, and don't want to carry other lenses around, and I am happy with the compromises involved.

I am probably going to buy a Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC Macro OS HSM. I have read reviews that compare it to the Tamron equivalent, and Canon's own version, and they are more or less favourable for what I want. Only having the Canon kit lenses at the moment, I don't think I will be disappointed.

Just thought I'd mention it here before I pop down to the shops tomorrow
    80D, 600D, EFS 60mm Macro, Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM Lens - Contemporary, Sigma 18-250mm 1:3.5-6.3 DC Macro OS HSM lens, EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 IS STM lens, EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 IS II lens, EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II lens, Yongnuo YN500EX flash, Velbon Sherpa 5370D tripod, PH-157Q head, Klika W1003 monopod, AF Macro Extension tubes, LED Ringflash Software: Darktable, Gimp, DigiKam

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have used the Canon 18-200 for my last three trips and found it to be an excellent allround travel lens and I suppose the reach of the Sigma would be just as good. I have just upgraded to a 5D MK III and the 18-200 won't fit a bull frame camera, so I have been deliberating what lens I could buy with the same reach. I am going to South Africa next week and have purchased a 24-105 L series lens, but I know that won't really be suitable when I only want to take one lens with me (I am taking a 100-400 with me as well). In my opinion, the 18-200 or the 18-250 lens would be an ideal choice for a all rounder when you only want to carry one lens. If you want, you can look at my travel photos on Flickr at

https://www.flickr.com/photos/836460...7634591366214/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My 60D came with the 18-200 and it was my only lens for the first 18 months with the camera. I used it on a couple of overseas trips and it was an ideal, single lens for travel. Yes, the IQ could be better, but if you stay close to the aperture "sweet spot" and don't try telephoto in low light it should be all good. Regardless of which you go with, the Sigma, the Tamron or even the Canon, I reckon you'll find it will fit the bill nicely.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by crafty1tutu View Post
    I have used the Canon 18-200 for my last three trips and found it to be an excellent allround travel lens and I suppose the reach of the Sigma would be just as good. I have just upgraded to a 5D MK III and the 18-200 won't fit a bull frame camera, so I have been deliberating what lens I could buy with the same reach. I am going to South Africa next week and have purchased a 24-105 L series lens, but I know that won't really be suitable when I only want to take one lens with me (I am taking a 100-400 with me as well). In my opinion, the 18-200 or the 18-250 lens would be an ideal choice for a all rounder when you only want to carry one lens. If you want, you can look at my travel photos on Flickr at

https://www.flickr.com/photos/836460...7634591366214/
    Your photos are exact examples of what I want the lens for. In fact - many taken at some of the same places I will visit. Thanks for that.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Laosie View Post
    My 60D came with the 18-200 and it was my only lens for the first 18 months with the camera. I used it on a couple of overseas trips and it was an ideal, single lens for travel. Yes, the IQ could be better, but if you stay close to the aperture "sweet spot" and don't try telephoto in low light it should be all good. Regardless of which you go with, the Sigma, the Tamron or even the Canon, I reckon you'll find it will fit the bill nicely.
    Yes, the reviews mentioned the sweet spot and what happens outside of it. I figured I can live with the limitations described, especially as I only have the kit lenses at the moment.

I can get a fairly good deal locally, so I think I am off to the shops today
    Last edited by Dazz1; 23-07-2014 at 8:58am.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    =======================================================================================================

Update:

I have my new lens. Of course, I am impressed with it. Other than the obvious advantage of having 18-250mm all in one lens there are a few things that were nice surprises for me.

1. It feels like it is a lot better build quality than the Canon kit lenses.
    2. The auto-focus is super quiet (and fast too).
    3. It is actually a bit smaller (shorter) than the Canon 55-250 lens when retracted (and about the same when extended)

In the field, I really enjoyed being able to point it at anything, zoom to frame it and quickly get a good shot. Even macro shots are nice and easy ( it gets down to about 1:2.5 )

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats and I agree with the choice you made in the all round walking lens.

For me, the advantages easily outweigh the disadvantages and the slight macro ability is a huge plus.
    David Tran
    Sony a55
    Sony DT 18-70mm f/3.5-5.6
    Now sits as an antique as it no longer focuses properly.

Wishlist: Sony RX10iv (or RX10v if it ever comes out)

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bitsnpieces View Post
    Congrats and I agree with the choice you made in the all round walking lens.

For me, the advantages easily outweigh the disadvantages and the slight macro ability is a huge plus.
    Thanks. Yes, having spent a little time playing with it now, I am very happy.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have had this lens for a number of years and found it to be a good all-round lens using it for many things including motor sport and football. It is a semi permanent attachment on my 400D back-up camera, the only problem I have with it is it stops working when the battery is still showing full charge but I feel this is due to the 7 year old batteries not the lens.
    Cheers
    Keith.
    Keith

Canon 400D Gripped, Canon 7D LCD Timer Gripped, Canon 70-200 f2.8L is ii. Canon 2X iii Extender, Canon 50mm 1.8, Sigma 150-500, Sigma 18-250, Sigma 17-50 F2.8, Sigma 10-20, Tamron 90mm Macro, Yonguno YN460 & 460ii Speedlights and a Hanimax TZ 1 Flash, Wireless Triggers ,LED Macro Ringlight, Extension Tubes, 3 tripods, 2 monopods, PS Elements 5 & 10, PSP9 and canon s/ware, various filters and other photographic paraphernalia all packed in a computrecker backpack. NEW:- Panasonic GX8, 45-150, 14mm F2.5. PSE 2018.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedway View Post
    I have had this lens for a number of years and found it to be a good all-round lens using it for many things including motor sport and football. It is a semi permanent attachment on my 400D back-up camera, the only problem I have with it is it stops working when the battery is still showing full charge but I feel this is due to the 7 year old batteries not the lens.
    Cheers
    Keith.
    Thanks. Does the lens stop working while the camera is still running and showing full charge? How odd!

I have experienced 2 of the downsides that the reviews warned me about. One of them being some softness around the edges at some zoom levels in a couple of photos I took, the other being the autofocus hunting in some combinations of low light, full zoom. However, there are so many positives, and no unexpected shortcomings, so far at least - still very happy.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wetpixels View Post
    Thanks. Does the lens stop working while the camera is still running and showing full charge? How odd!

I have experienced 2 of the downsides that the reviews warned me about. One of them being some softness around the edges at some zoom levels in a couple of photos I took, the other being the autofocus hunting in some combinations of low light, full zoom. However, there are so many positives, and no unexpected shortcomings, so far at least - still very happy.
    I have just had a play with the lens and when I switched the OS off it was able to take shots again so it looks like the old battery's cannot supply enough power to operate AF and OS at the same time unless fully charged, I tried another lens and the same thing happened. I have to remove and refit the batteries to unlock the camera, fitted a freshly charged set of batteries and everything works OK. Looks like a replacement set of batteries is on the shopping list.
    Cheers
    Keith.

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban dtmateojr's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is why I love my Stylus 1 with 28-300 constant f/2.8 lens It's a lens that you can't find anywhere else. Perfect for travel.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedway View Post
    I have just had a play with the lens and when I switched the OS off it was able to take shots again so it looks like the old battery's cannot supply enough power to operate AF and OS at the same time unless fully charged, I tried another lens and the same thing happened. I have to remove and refit the batteries to unlock the camera, fitted a freshly charged set of batteries and everything works OK. Looks like a replacement set of batteries is on the shopping list.
    Cheers
    Keith.
    Looks like, yep. I've always had good value from the 3rd party replacements, as sold on eBay and elsewhere btw.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dtmateojr View Post
    This is why I love my Stylus 1 with 28-300 constant f/2.8 lens It's a lens that you can't find anywhere else. Perfect for travel.
    Yep, only a few weeks t'go and I'll be using my lens everyday for a couple of months. Worth it just for this trip alone.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just a post to keep my account active while I am away for 8 weeks. Sitting in a b&b in Scotland at the moment. Couldn't be happier with my sigma lens. It gets used every day, it's the only one I brought with me, and makes those touristy snapshots a breeze, but retains the quality.