Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How many photos do you take a year

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bcys1961 View Post

My question is: If you take this many photos , how do you get time to actually go back through them and look at them , do post processing etc... ?

The key is to rank/categorise/rate your images on initial preview.
    This can be done in such a varied manner and for many differing reasons. For example, a while back on a shoot out at Lake Eyre, the flies were so thick in the air, I had to mark so many otherwise good exposures as bad(ie. un rated) simply because of the flies on the lens, or hovering around the front of the lens.
    I had to bribe them to stay put in a specific area with a slice of ham(which some of them loved) .. just to get them out of the way of the lens!

So rating is a highly recommended strategy to perform on initial loading of images to the PC.
    if you do this try to work on a plan for rating based on a possible long term strategy.

Once an image is rated or ranked, you can then filter the images into a type of category.

Filter the images to view the good ones, or alternatively view only the bad, unranked images and then delete .. or keep or whatever.

I'm constantly going back to images I may have shot years ago due to a tweaking of the memory cells upon seeing something in an image I recently captured or whatever other reason.

Eg. on the last weekend I shot about 50 images .. and really have only looked at them briefly on initial downloading to the PC.
    Had a quick attempt at general editing on initial view, but my real priority was to rate them.
    I altered WB on a couple for now, but I'll probably still have to leave this set for a few more days yet.
    And the reality is that I only played with this one particular image in the set because I have been trialling some more software .... comparing my current editing programs with the trial one I'd downloaded.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    50 I can handle , and that's what I might shoot on a day out over the weekend . 5000 is a different matter altogether .
    The name is Brad ......

OMD EM-1, OMD EM-5MkII, m.Zuiko 12-40mm Pro f2.8, m.Zuiko 40-150mm f2.8 Pro , m.Zuiko 60mm f2.8 Macro, m.Zuiko 17mm f1.8 , Lee Filters

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I shudder to think as I regularly take 2-4000 over a weekend at motorsport events plus other sporting events Although this year has been very slow photographically as I have not had reliable transport since Christmas when I did a timing belt on my Ute while in Melbourne. That has now finally been remedied and I am off to Renmark and Loxton foe 2 days of Dirt Kart action.
    Cheers
    Keith.

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedway View Post
    ... as I regularly take 2-4000 over a weekend at motorsport events plus other sporting events ...

I'm with Brad.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How do I take so many shots? This weekend at the dirt Karts. Saturday night Renmark 100-200 Karts, 15 classes, 6-15 Karts per class, 4 heats and 1 final per class that's 75 races in total. then Sunday we go to Loxton and do it all over again. When there's this much action going on the shutter count climbs fast and these are just club days. The Australian Title to be held at Loxton in October will have over 400 Karts racing over 3 long days so 4000+ shots is easy to reach, sorting, Processing and posting to my website can take up to 3 weeks. In my spare time I take some landscapes, old buildings, cars and machinery, wildlife and birds which I process, select, print and frame the best of these for my Sunday Market stalls. Just as well I am retired as there is no time left for work.
    Cheers
    Keith.

Photo Bizarro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedway View Post
    How do I take so many shots? This weekend at the dirt Karts. Saturday night Renmark 100-200 Karts, 15 classes, 6-15 Karts per class, 4 heats and 1 final per class that's 75 races in total. then Sunday we go to Loxton and do it all over again. When there's this much action going on the shutter count climbs fast and these are just club days. The Australian Title to be held at Loxton in October will have over 400 Karts racing over 3 long days so 4000+ shots is easy to reach, sorting, Processing and posting to my website can take up to 3 weeks. In my spare time I take some landscapes, old buildings, cars and machinery, wildlife and birds which I process, select, print and frame the best of these for my Sunday Market stalls. Just as well I am retired as there is no time left for work.
    Cheers
    Keith.
    That's hectic. Do you get paid for that?
    My name is John.
    www.jrfraser.com

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't get paid, I just love doing it and I manage to cover costs selling a few prints.
    Cheers
    Keith.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nowhere near enough... with a young family, my photography has pretty much ground to a halt.
    I bought a Canon 7D in Jan/Feb of 2011, so roughly 3.5 years old and has a total shutter actuation count of 3,055.. depressingly abysmal really.
    Cheers,
    Scott
    ------------------------------
    Homepage : flickr : pBase

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I took around 40,000 photos in the last year.
    Lots of them for weddings, events, products, cars etc., but a few for myself too.

My 60D has around 55,000 actuations and my 5D3 has around 35,000!
    All my photos are taken with recycled pixels.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom, is knowing not to serve it in a fruit salad.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've clocked over the 9999 filename count on my camera maybe 4 or 5 times?

So would mean I do an average of probably 20,000 photos a year since owning the 5D3.

My previous 550D clocked that a few times, and in the hands of a friend has probably clocked it again!

Easy to do, really! I'm trigger happy haha.

Decided to "shave" my signature ;]
    Now mostly shoots with: Canon 5D MK3 & Canon 24-70 f/2.8/50mm f/1.8 (also have a 550D with a variety of lenses/goodies and a Sony Nex-5N)
    PP with: Lightroom only, Photoshop is merely a 9-5 work tool for me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So far this year 13,500 then shutter replaced (d600) now 6,050 fingers crossed
    Nikon D600 tamron 24-70 2.8 50 1.4 K5 Da70 Da 40

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wedgtail View Post
    So far this year 13,500 then shutter replaced (d600) now 6,050 fingers crossed
    What happened to your shutter after 13,500??

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12