This may sound strange coming from someone with a bit of experience under his belt, but stick with me if you will - I have not been paying attention to the photographic gear market for the last couple of years.

After decades of hauling around (the now digital) SLR and lenses, I've been more or less out of the scene for a couple of years. Life somehow got in the way, other timetakers, health issues, ya know, the works. Last month however, I decided to bring the 5DII and two heavy lenses (the 24-70 and 100-400) when going on a vacation in Sweden. The first day out I took the camera with me, but boy is that thing clumsy and heavy. Never realized how much that thing weighs.

To make a long story short, I left the camera in the car more than I took it with me. The wife has one of those compact- or bridge camera's she bought a couple of years ago. I used it too, but boy was that a disappointment! Lots of noise, ugly user interface, tiny sensor, cheap build quality. Yuck - I missed out on a lot of good photo-opportunities!

So, here's my question: how far did technology advance the last couple of years? Are the Fuji X-Pro 1 or the EX-2 for example as good as my 5DII? Am I going to be disappointed with Fuji's lenses availability for these? I see there's a couple of zooms that go from 10 all the way up to 200 mm, a nice set of primes and even some weather resistant lenses are in the works... but... is it too early?

I just mention the Fuji's since National Geographic mentioned them and there seems to be a reasonable set of lenses for it, but there could as well be other brands that offer similar solutions. I want a good size sensor, at least APS-C, preferably larger. A real viewfinder. Good glass. In short: I want my 5DII to weigh less than half it does and I want matching lenses.