Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  12

Thread: Received the D810 today.

Who let the rabble in?
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Received the D810 today.

Just received my D810 today but haven't had much of a chance to put it through it's paces as far as AF speed and accuracy etc is concerned - these are the main attributes I was looking for as an update. I am hoping to get out tomorrow and really put it through it's paces. However, a few things I am very impressed with are the shutter quietness and vibration, it is amazingly quiet and almost no vibration. I liken it to my friend's Canon 5D MKIII which I have always commented to him is very very quiet and have to apologise for scaring away birds when we are shooting together with the clunk, clunk, clunk of my previous D800E. I am exaggerating a little, I don't think I have actually scared birds off, some birds would look at me when I let the shutter fly but never actually fly away, maybe that's a good way to get eye contact? Anyway, there was a marked difference between the D800E and the Canon 5D MKIII as far as shutter noise (and probably vibration as well), but now that is a thing of the past, the D810 is very, very quiet and almost no vibration. Very impressed!

The new VF seems a tad brighter, and the display writing in the VF is white rather than yellow if that is an issue for you - it doesn't bother me.

The grip is a tad deeper, but not all that much different, probably better for big hands, but mine are not big, just average I guess and I don't find it better or worse than the D800/E. The rubber inserts have a slightly different pattern that gives a slightly more positive feel, again neither here nor there as far as differences are concerned with the D800/E.

One thing that is omitted is a flash hotshoe cover. Not a big deal I know, but really, has penny pinching come to this? If you don't want one, then take it off, but I do like to have one and I had to steal it off my old D800E.

As I said, I hope to put it through it's paces tomorrow and have a better report as to how the AF fares as far as speed and accuracy is concerned. As it stands, the quietness and lack of vibration is a really big plus, very, very happy on that front.

Ausphotography Regular basketballfreak6's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    congrats on the new camera! looking forward to a proper comparison against your old D800E, particular AF and high ISO performance

Photoholic
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Lance ,
    Surely for that amount of money it would come with the Hotshoe cover or am I missing something , I'd be contacting whoever you bought it from and saying ...Really !!!! I think you forgot to pack something with my new baby ...
    Looking forward to seeing some images
    Does a one legged duck swim in an eliptic circle

Still in the Circle of Confusion Cage's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations on the new toy Lance.

You raise a very valid point with the shutter quietness. I was out yesterday and shooting from about 3m, and even with the shutter in 'Quiet' mode it was still loud enough to spook some birds.

I guess it is something I will have to live with as I've only recently got my D800 and I'm many, many moons away from my next upgrade.
    Cheers
    Kev

Nikon D810: D600 (Astro Modded): D7200 and 'stuff', lots of 'stuff'

Who let the rabble in?
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Goatch View Post
    Hi Lance ,
    Surely for that amount of money it would come with the Hotshoe cover or am I missing something , I'd be contacting whoever you bought it from and saying ...Really !!!! I think you forgot to pack something with my new baby ...
    Looking forward to seeing some images
    Thanks, Goatch.

The manual indicates that there is no hotshoe cover included.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Cage View Post
    Congratulations on the new toy Lance.
    Thanks, Kev!

You raise a very valid point with the shutter quietness. I was out yesterday and shooting from about 3m, and even with the shutter in 'Quiet' mode it was still loud enough to spook some birds.

I guess it is something I will have to live with as I've only recently got my D800 and I'm many, many moons away from my next upgrade.
    I went out to day taking photos with my friend who has the Canon 5D MKIII. It seems as though he was always using quiet mode when we shot together and so I thought that his 5D MKIII was normally that quiet, but it appears not! So, I showed him how quiet the new shutter is on the D810 and we compared them both in normal mode on both cameras, the D810 is much quieter than the 5D MKIII!! In quiet mode on both cameras it is still a slight win to the D810.

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, the Nikon shutter noise level is one thing that has had many people a little envious of Canon bodies for quite some time and going by your estimations Lance it must be a HUGE improvement.

The flash port covers ---- I tossed the ones from the D800 bodies into a fruit bowl soon after getting the cameras and recently grabbed one to fit onto a Fuji body. That means there are only 5 spare ones kicking around here now. But I totally see what you mean about it being a rather penny pinching exercise to omit them from a higher end body.
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations Lance. Happy shooting Peter.
    HAPPY SHOOTING, PETER.
    Constructive Critique of my images is always appreciated!

Bodies: D810 and D7100. Lenses: 300mm f/4, Nikkor 600mm f/4G ED VR. Tripod: Gitzo GT5541LS tripod. Wimberley WH-200 Gimbal Head 2 with Quick Release Base. Teleconverter: Nikon TC-14E ll.

Who let the rabble in?
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by petersimages View Post
    Congratulations Lance. Happy shooting Peter.
    Thanks, mate!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hanging to see some shots .
    Nikon D810 : D90 : Slik 330dx
    SB700 : Kenko extension tubes :
    2 lens kit : Nikon 18-55VR : Nikon 55-200VR :
    Tamron 17-50 F2.8 : Tamron F2.8 24-70 : Tamron 150-600 :
    Nikon 50 F1.8 : Nikon 80-200 F2.8 : Sigma 150 F2.8 Macro :

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looking forward to seeing some of your excellent work & your thoughts on the camera
    Cheers

MajorPanic

Who let the rabble in?
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MajorPanic View Post
    Looking forward to seeing some of your excellent work & your thoughts on the camera
    Thank you for your nice comments, MajorPanic. I notice you've already seen my first D810 photos thread. Here's another lot from Mogo Zoo:

http://www.ausphotography.net.au/for...es-to-Mogo-Zoo