Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  5

Thread: 70D AF Problems?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

70D AF Problems?

Hi all,

Is this a problem any Australian 70D owners have experienced?
    http://photography-on-the.net/forum/....php?t=1354075

Reportedly it's only an issue with Large Aperture lenses, so it's not something I've had a problem with yet.
    While it's popped up on a number of overseas forums I haven't been able to find anything about it on the local forums.

Thanks,
    Mark
    Mark

Canon 70D w/Grip l Canon 60D w/Grip l EF 100-400 f4.5-5.6L IS USM l EF 70-200 f4L IS USM l EF-S 15-85 f3.5-5.6 IS USM l EF 100 f2.8 USM Macro l EF-S 18-55 f3.5-5.6 IS STM l EF 50 f1.8 II l Canon EF-S 10-22 f3.5-4.5 USM l 430 EX II Flash l Rode Stereo VideoMic l Manfrotto 055XPROB + 498RC2 Tripod l Benro MP-96 M8 Monopod l Lowepro Vertex 200 AW Backpack l Lowepro Pro Runner 300 AW Backpack l PS CS5 Extended l Lightroom 4.3

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You do realise that most cameras will have this issue with lenses at 1.8 etc. The sweet spot for best focus with MOST lenses is the f8-f14 range. Outside that pure optical physics come into play and no lens will be sharper at f1.8 as it will be at f8 if the images are put to pixel peeping.

Also unless you have your lens and camera calibrated to one another (professionally) then discrepancies in focus are bound to happen. Seems to me the people on POTN are seeking out a problem with their camera, that is not really the camera at all, but known limitations of physics and lens manufacturing. Also lenses have minimum focusing distance, if they get objects closer to the lens than that distance, they will not be in focus.

63 pages of chat that is probably about an lens optics issue that has no relevance to the 70D at all, but rather they need to learn more about the basics of lens design, optics, etc.
    Last edited by ricktas; 08-07-2014 at 8:50pm.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK Mark, it looks like you might have a legitimate issue here - though limited in its range so far to specific camera models and lenses - but,
    could you please present a precis of the problem and save us from having to trawl through umpteen pages of questionably presented posts on another
    forum.
    Am.
    CC, Image editing OK.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As I said in my original post it's not a problem that I have experienced, but one that I had read about on overseas forums and was left wondering if any Australian users had experienced this problem with their 70Ds.

This thread was directed at 70D owners who may have experienced the problem is outlined in the opening post on POTN.
    Unless you have a 70D with that particular problem, or you suspect that you may have that problem, I don't see that there's any need to "trawl" through anything.

If the moderators of this forum consider that it is not relevant, I am more than happy for it to be closed.

Mark

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by unistudent1962 View Post

If the moderators of this forum consider that it is not relevant, I am more than happy for it to be closed.

Mark
    Of course it is relevant, if only to keep those newer to photography, informed about lens design and that wide open apertures will generally not produce the sharpest results. I was just surmising that the 'problem' is not really one related to the camera body at all, but to a lack of understanding of lens optics and physics in general. After all I could start a thread that says the D800 has an issue cause my lenses are not as sharp at f1.8 as I had hoped. It is not the D800 that is the issue, it is wide open large aperture lenses.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 70D suffers from soft center point focusing other focus points seen to be okay ..

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    John, do you have a reference for this "soft center point focusing" at all? (Whatever that actually means)
    Phil.
    Equipment: Panasonic Lumix G9, GX9, Panasonic Leica 100-400 f/4.0-6.3, Panasonic 14-140 f3.5-5.6, Panasonic 7-14mm f4, Weifeng WF-717A tripod, Manfrotto 560B-1 Monopod, Huawei P30 Pro.
    Software: Corel PaintShop Pro 2020 + Corel Painter Essentials 4
    - Beauty and Design in Nature - do you see it?

flickr