Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mongo View Post
    Mongo would be OK with the idea if they still provide for a aperture ring to be able to command the new device. However, that is never going to happen - already we have the pain in the a**e "G" lenses which have taken away that element of immediate control. Mongo does not expect the new device to be any different in its application that those lenses. One further step forward but two backward in Mongo's opinion.

That is why Mongo only drives manual cars - in case you had not noticed, he likes to be in control - not the car. Even the DSG gearbox Mrs Mongo's new car has is still a glorified manual which is automatically driven but it still allows you real manual control if you want it. The equivalent of this car's capabilities would be the new aperture device which can be controlled by an aperture ring. So, you see, there is precedent for progress and still be enjoyable to use. However, none of the designers will be on the ball enough to understand that concept and unfortunately, they will do away with the aperture ring.
    how different is dialing an aperture in by turning a wheel on the lens as opposed to turning a wheel on the camera body? Not really any different to changing gears on the floor as opposed to changing gears on the column?
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I find myself always manually controlling my auto gearbox's gear selection based on what gear I want it to be in!
    an option to control the use of the clutch would also be nice in some instances too .. but I haven't had a manual car for nearly 5 years now.

Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    how different is dialing an aperture in by turning a wheel on the lens as opposed to turning a wheel on the camera body? Not really any different to changing gears on the floor as opposed to changing gears on the column?
    There is a slight nuance difference in controlling aperture on lens as opposed to via sub command wheel. I actually prefer the camera's command wheel anyhow, as it gives you more finely grained steps, and to do this via a mechanical control on the lens is not only much harder to achieve, but then will almost certainly create a durability issue.

As with Mongo, I like aperture control on lens too, but not for the purpose of controlling the lens when in normal use ... my reason is simply for those times when you want to use the lens in strange ways.
    ie. remotely off the camera(eg. bellows/extension tubes) or reversed on camera or another lens ... and other such mountings.
    You can't do this with G lenses unless an adapter of some type is available that could hold and control the aperture lever mechanism.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

A. P's Culinary Indiscriminant
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post

it really depends Rick. There are only 2 wheels on your camera and you may have assigned other functions to them which you could not to the aperture ring. So, when this is the case, it is best (and most familiar) to use the aperture ring for its purpose and allocate other necessary functions to the front and back wheels on your camera.
    Last edited by mongo; 14-07-2014 at 6:25pm.
    Nikon and Pentax user