User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: Canon 75-300

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Canon 75-300

Hi all, my name is Tom. I’m a professional photographer based in Sydney. I’ve had a Canon EF75-300 for years now. I don’t use it much for stills but I find I do increasingly for video. However, I notice sharpness (or lack of it) can be a problem – even in the f8-11 range – and with any kind of wind or movement camera shake can be disastrous.
    The lens doesn’t have image stabilizer. Has anyone used the image stabilizer version for video? Does it make a big difference?
    The other option is the L range 70-300. I’m hesitant because of the bulk and weight. Can anyone comment on this lens vs the EF version?

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven’t used either of those lenses, but I think that you’ll find that the EF70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM would be a better lens than both of those "75" to 300 lenses. I have used the EF70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM and it is ‘good value for money’ in my view.

The EF 70 to 300 L IS has excellent IQ. I have used this lens in a shop – and it was a very nice lens and IMO quite deserving of the accolade that it has received. I didn’t find it “heavy”, but I did find it well balanced and very hand-holdable on my 5D Series Camera with a battery grip.

I think that you need to hold the lens on your camera and have a play, if you have not yet done so.

Image Srtabilization is worthwhile for video if one is hand holding. But using a tripod or a monopod is much better for video in my experience.

Commenting about buying a lens ONLY for Video, I think that if you can use 0ne - a Tripod and Video Head would be better investment than paying more money for IS in a lens.
    But on the other hand, having IS available in a lens makes it a very flexible tool for both Stills and also Video and this is an important consideration, because if you buy a 70 to 300 L IS or even a less expensive zoom in that compass, I doubt that you will “only” use it for video . . .?

WW

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What did you end up choosing?