Thread: Thoughts on older lenses to save money

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thoughts on older lenses to save money

So I'm getting back into photography again, I upgraded my 400D to a second-hand 50D which I love. I kept my thrifty fifty but sold the rest off as it was kit lenses from a few years ago and the body. I found (and already bought) a (new) discontinued sigma 18-200mm f3.5-6.3 as a general purpose and in the future I have my eyes on getting a nice wide angle and I would love to get a second-hand 70-200 f4L lens if one come up on "that auction site" for my budget.

My question is what is everyone's thoughts on buying cheaper older, second-hand and/or discontinued lenses. Will they compete? I am doing this as I have three kids and other expenses so I can't just drop a thousand on my hobby. I can push to three hundred or slightly more every so often but even then the choices are limited. I found a place in Sydney which has lenses for much cheaper and the reviews from four or five years ago are good but can they be viewed as relevant to today's standards? I know the L lens is not included in this except for it being second hand.

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have used a range of non-DSLR lenses and found them all to work well.
    But I have a Sigma camera, not Canon. I have heard some reports about issues with
    the angle of the light striking the sensor, but nothing I can explain. The above is predicated on my
    having had good lenses.

It would be a matter of trying them out before you decide to buy.
    Am.
    CC, Image editing OK.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought a second-hand Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro lens from B&H many years ago, and it looked as-new. I've bought a few things from them now, and they've always been easy to deal with. Great site to purchase from, product descriptions are extensive and accurate, and delivery is quick even when using the cheapest option. This was my only second-hand purchase from anywhere, but if I'm in the market again for another lens any time soon, I would consider buying second-hand again, especially if I can buy from them or an equally reputable dealer.

Personally, I'd still be wary of buying off eBay unless either I could inspect the item first, or it was from a seller attached to an actual bricks-and-mortar or reputable store.
    Nick T.

Canon EOS 60D; Canon 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM; Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM; Canon "Nifty Fifty" 50mm F/1.8 II; Canon 100mm f/2.8 IS USM Macro; 2x Sigma EF-530DG Super flashes; Manfrotto 190XProB + 804CR2

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have always bought second hand and never had a problem with the lenses bought.
    Odille

“Can't keep my eyes from the circling sky”

My Blog | Canon 1DsMkII | 60D | Tokina 20-35mm f/2.8 AF AT-X PRO | EF50mm f/1.8| Sigma 150-500mm F5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM | Fujifilm X-T1 & X-M1 | Fujinon XC 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OIS | Fujinon XC 50-230mm F3.5-5.6 OIS | Fujinon XF 18-55mm F2.8-4R LM OIS | tripods, flashes, filters etc ||

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most of my lenses have been bought secondhand off Ebay and I have never had a problem with them or the people I have dealt with. The main thing is to check their rating to make sure they don't have any negative ratings.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Buying old gear is fine but make sure you do your home work before committing money.

One of my favourite lenses was made in 1946 and most of my lenses date to the 70's-80's or earlier. Modern coatings are generally better than older coatings. There are no optical issues at all with older lenses except zooms (with some exceptions of course) where modern technology has shown dramatic improvements.

Ironically, I've often found the best way to SAVE money is to buy the good (expensive) one in the first place, even if it means saving for it. Buying lots of mediocre stuff and constantly upgrading or changing, working your way up, often costs more than buying the expensive one in the first place.
    Last edited by jjphoto; 18-06-2014 at 7:48pm.