Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: Watermarks

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Watermarks

I am on another forum that will remain nameless, but over there watermarks are viewed as not the desirable on photo's.
    They or some say they spoil a photo. They could be right if it is a real big bugger right in the middle of a photo.

My opinion on them is why should we not watermark our photo's.
    Yes I know if someone wanted to take one of my shots the watermark placement would make it easy in most cases to remove.
    I try to place mine in the bottoms corners and out of the way.
    Really I see nothing wrong with them and from what I have seen here none are detracting from the image either.

Then I was thinking why are these people complaining about painters who sign each and every paining they do.
    There may be a slight difference for these to forms of art, but why is is okay for a painter and not for us photographers?
    So I leave you with that. For me I like to put my image up and will continue to do so.
    After all its mine and not the fella from around the corner.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think we can discuss watermarking without going into the whole arena of posting photos online in general.

I learned early on that the most valuable images are the ones for which you can offer exclusive rights. You cannot provide exclusive rights for an image that was posted to the internet. So that means I can only post images online that I don't think are good enough to ever sell. Doing that would associate my name with only my least desirable images. That doesn't seem like a good plan to me.

We never know in advance which photos will sell, but it will probably be our best images. So, if I can't post my best images, why would I want to post any? Watermarks become a moot point.

Aesthetically I don't like watermarks in any media, but I don't begrudge those who feel the need to use them.

Joe

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I agree ^. Posting photos online means they are easily accessible for 'borrowing', without permission. Watermarking also lets someone who sees your photo, somewhere, if they want a copy, print, etc, a chance to find you, they have your details.

I think watermarking is an individual choice and they do not bother me if they are there.

If people are so concerned about what others do online, that a simple watermark affects their online experience, then they need to get off the net for a while and come back to reality. Stopping people watermarking photos made a bucket list...never!
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just find this thing with the topic interesting. I know plenty who are of the mind they should not be there.
    I have seen the other side also. For me I don't mind them, but here is the but.
    But not if they totally over power a good image.
    On one of the things I get emails from to do with photography, they showed this really nice image.
    Though it was totally spoilt by the owner of it who decided to plaster this ugly watermark right in the middle of it.
    That is when I think they should rethink.

I have also heard some say they even real small ones interfere with an image.
    To me I can look past most, so I am one to say why not.
    If someone wanted on of mine it would be an easy clone out.
    So I don't put mine on for the thief side of it, as I think or I know there are way better photographers out there.
    And I would be proud if someone thought mine good enough to take.
    Really this is just another part of our hobby that what someone likes, there are as many who think the other way.