Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Traveling Overseas Lens 3 & 1/2 Months

Hey guys
    Been a while since I have posted on here. Hope everyone is doing well.

I am heading overseas for 3 & 1/2 months in 5 weeks and I am having to purchase a new lens before I go.

I did have a Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM but it broke on me back just before Christmas.
    I was going to get it fixed but $480 to do so didn't seem wise when it is about $900 to replace.
    A mate wanted to try and fix it himself (engineer) so he bought it from me for $250.

My dilemma is that I possibly might want to upgrade to a 5dmk3 (from my current 7D) sometime in the next 12 - 18 months.
    Do I buy another 17-55 or do I go to a 24-105L instead so I don't have to buy another lens when getting the 5D anyway.

The issue then is what is going to serve me best while I am away. I have been shooting with my 17-55 since I bought my cam in 2009.
    I love the 2.8 for low light and going to the 24-105L I won't be as wide and only at f/4. Will I miss not being so wide if I go that way and I think I will miss 2.8.

I have read some other forums today and they have suggested a 15-85 which is wider obviously than the 17-55 and more focal length. It also is as about as sharp as the 24-105L. (So they say)

I am kinda of torn. My brother has been traveling around Asia for the past 12 months and he took a 18-135 and he said it was fine for what he wanted. I have borrowed it and used it but not sure about it seeing as it isn't a set f stop.

Anyone able to give me some advice on what way would be best.
    Even if another lens/brand would suite better I am open to suggestions.

Cheers
    Michael
    Last edited by msenior; 15-06-2014 at 4:49pm.
    Canon EOS 7D | EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM | EF 50mm f/1.4 USM | Speedlite 580EX II