Confession:

I'm a confirmed Android devotee and convert and worshipper.
(well, maybe not worshipper, but something less extreme but to a similar effect)

if you have the option to update to Android KitKat .. DON'T!!!!

That means version 4.4.something(like .2) .. which I have just done, without reading the fine print.

Forget this statement tho, if you don't care for or use an external media in your device tho.

The warning to not update is based around the point that with this update, the manufacturers of devices have all pressured Google to introduce a new security measure to not allow writing access to the external media device(usually a microSD card.

99% of my reasoning for liking Android was because of the ability to use external media as easily as you do on your PC.
The update to KitKat stops this.

You can still read the media card, but you can't write to it from the device.
What's even more annoying is that (at least in some instances) you can write to the external media card with the device connected to a PC, via the PC.
So I can find any files on the device(in my case phone) via the PC, and send them to the ext SD device .. but I can't do the same via the phone!!

First thing I thought after discovering this the other day was, what brainless dipsh ... t! thought of this idea.
of course the reasons are plain and simple. . the manufacturers want you to buy the device with the highest storage capacity, and this is the only way they can achieve this end!

Reason I hate this idea(which in reality isn't that much of a problem) is that I have my sync setup where I sync certain files from my Dropbox and or Onedrive to files on my ext SD card.
Which of course now can't be done. I have to set the sync files up on the phone's internal memory(which has heaps!) .. and i can manually transfer them to the ext SD card via the PC.

But that's a pain, and I have to remember to do the transfer too(which I'm almost certainly not going too remember).

IDIOTS!!

I think back to what John Laws used to say, "when you're onto a good thing .. stuff it up like a bunch of morons would!"
(well it went something like that .. maybe not his exact words, but close enough to it to describe Google, Sony, Samsung, HTC, and all other Android dependent manufacturers)

ps. Most updates are fairly new-ish I guess and soon enough a rooted ROM will probably be available for your device.
The problem is fixable if you can get root access to the device .. just waiting for one for mine now.

did I say .. IDIOTS! .... ?
(Oh! I did, but it's worth repeating again)