User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: SSD samsung 840 pro 512

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SSD samsung 840 pro 512

Some advice please.. I'm looking at a laptop Asus g75vx model laptop which only comes with a 1tb and no SSD.. The 1tb is will have an IS on it and drivers and stuff..

Anyway my question is can you clone the the 1tb to the ssd and OS or is if better to do a fresh install ? I know the Samsung has a program call magician software but I am not sure.. Any help would be great

Paul

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I would do a fresh install. Often the drive letter the OS is on is encoding into some of the OS files. Thus if you clone it, it may not work properly. There are also issues that arise when cloning to a different sized drive, that can also happen. You might find it actually works, but then in a couple of months, when you have it all setup and running nicely, you will come across something that just will not work.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah I am thinking that too.. I have never used an ssd at all but watching you tube vids and stuff I am looking at getting one.. Just another question what is the benefit or running 2 of them ? I know I don't need 2 at this stage but if I buy a second 1 ?

Paul

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think the Samsung software will aloow you to clone a larger drive to a smaller drive .. even if the larger drive only has a small amount of data onto it.

So the process to do it is a bit convoluted.

You need to partition the original larger hard drive into at least 2 sections.
    1. should be the original portion of the hard drive with the OS and all the other stuff which is the same size as the drive that the Magician software will clone too.
    2. will be the other section.

So you would calculate what size new partition you require, to keep the original part of the HDD(ie. C: drive) to 512Gb

So you end up with a PC with two partitions ... C: drive with the original data on it, and Dor any other letter) drive that will be blank.

BUT!!! ..... note that it's very rare for a laptop to come to you with a 1Tb drive and all of that 1Tb available to you to use.
    There will be a small partition already made by the vendor(in this case ASUS) that will have a recovery partition. The size varies and only you will know it once you find it.
    Problem is that the manufacturer will make it invisible to the user.

Most likely you will have lost approximately 4 .. maybe a bit more gigabytes to this hidden partition.

if you have good software to partition the drive, this partitioning software will see the hidden partition .. and you have to make sure you factor this into the equation.

ps. the samsung software isn't very good. It just straight copies the drive as is.
    What can happen is that if you make the C drive 511Gb, what the Magician software will do is create a 511 Gb partion of the original C drive and then create another 1Gb partition of free space.
    it really is quite dumb!
    But it's easy to use other than these annoyances.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thx mate for that.. I didn't really wanted the 1tb just on its own I wanted a SSD with it but that cost extra so I did abit of research and found the Samsung evo pro 512 a good drive to use.. I checked B&H website out and the reviews were very good.. I was just going to use the 1tb just for a backup I know the laptop has 2 hard drive bays so thats good for starters..

Paul

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd also recommend doing a fresh install. If you just clone the drive, some of the SSD's features won't be used by windows. TRIM is one of these features that allows the SSD to maintain high performance as it can clear junk data from the drive, though you can enable it if you clone the drive
    D7000
    18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G VR, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR, 50mm f/1.8D, SB-700

SX230 HS

Edit OK...Please provide details
    Link to my photos

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok thx for all your help