Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: 7D vs 70D

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

7D vs 70D

Hi all together,
    I will go tommorrow to HN to hopefully get me a new camera, but I can not decide between the 7D and the 70D. In the moment my mainfocus is on macro photography but I would like to do also more motorsports and wildlife, including birds. Well the way i understand it is that the 7D has a better, faster AF, on the other hand the 70D has a flip out screen which I could imagine would be very usefull for macro!
    While I do not spend often a lot of money for a camera, the last 3 cameras where all second hand ones and each of them had their faults but on the other hand I never paid more then 250$, it is time know to spoil myself with a new one and therefore I like to get the right one because this camera will have to serve me at least about 5 to 10 years!
    Cheers Klaus!
    I am happy about any CC to the pictures I show. These pictures can be P.P. and in the same thread showed again!
    Thank you Klaus!

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why HN?? There are better price options elsewhere
    regards, Kym Gallery Honest & Direct Constructive Critique Appreciated! ©
    Digital & film, Bits of glass covering 10mm to 500mm, and other stuff

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is right Kym,
    but I have not the cash in the moment, and HN has tomorrow a 60 months 0% sale on! And thats is what they get me with!
    Otherwise I will not have the money for quiet a while for a new cam. The other thing is my 40 D has quiet a lot of hot pixels and I really would like to do more knight photography!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well...
    if you want to spoil yourself with something new, I would not be buying a 5 year old camera..
    7D was released in 2009 and it is showing its age.
    If i only had a choice between the Canon 7 and 70D, I'd go for the 70.
    “Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst" – Henri Cartier-Bresson
    **Commercial Link Removed by Admin**

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i agree the 7D is getting old BUT twix mentioned that birds, motorsports and wildlife, and in my opinion the 7D ticks all the right boxes and then some. As for macro, both capable cameras with the right LENS. yes i do have the 7D and i love it, so a little bias? maybe, but bang for buck...... 7D is my choice.
    long live

http://www.birdphotographyworkshops.com.au

Canon R7, and a lot of other bits and bobs

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, Candidtown you alright with the point that the 7D has the older tecnilogy, and I looked up yesterday a few comparisons could still not decid which one I will take.
    But then again like Paul mentined, as soon I can afford I like to get me a good lens for wildlife/motorsport, and I think there is where the 7D shines, apparently the 7d has a bigger buffer when it writes onto the CF card, which will be better for ms and wl.
    I dont know, I will see which one they have in store and might then do there my final decision !
    Thanks guys!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My son's been looking for a body and I've been put off the 70D by reports of AF problems.
    http://photography-on-the.net/forum/....php?t=1354075
    Last edited by unistudent1962; 24-05-2014 at 9:03am.
    Mark

Canon 70D w/Grip l Canon 60D w/Grip l EF 100-400 f4.5-5.6L IS USM l EF 70-200 f4L IS USM l EF-S 15-85 f3.5-5.6 IS USM l EF 100 f2.8 USM Macro l EF-S 18-55 f3.5-5.6 IS STM l EF 50 f1.8 II l Canon EF-S 10-22 f3.5-4.5 USM l 430 EX II Flash l Rode Stereo VideoMic l Manfrotto 055XPROB + 498RC2 Tripod l Benro MP-96 M8 Monopod l Lowepro Vertex 200 AW Backpack l Lowepro Pro Runner 300 AW Backpack l PS CS5 Extended l Lightroom 4.3

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by twix View Post
    Hi all together,
    I will go tommorrow to HN to hopefully get me a new camera, but I can not decide between the 7D and the 70D. In the moment my mainfocus is on macro photography but I would like to do also more motorsports and wildlife, including birds. Well the way i understand it is that the 7D has a better, faster AF, on the other hand the 70D has a flip out screen which I could imagine would be very usefull for macro!
    While I do not spend often a lot of money for a camera, the last 3 cameras where all second hand ones and each of them had their faults but on the other hand I never paid more then 250$, it is time know to spoil myself with a new one and therefore I like to get the right one because this camera will have to serve me at least about 5 to 10 years!
    Cheers Klaus!

maybe hang back a little while - some rumors about are that the 7d mark 11 is about to finally be released ( about $2K+) by canon so there will be some very good deals about on the original 7d when they sell all old stocks out and good 2 nd hand ones will come on the market ( like mine ) which has had very liitle recent use

very few advatages in a 70 d over the 7d as maybe 1/2 stop better iso at most - has had some af problems although the center point seem ok - pros would be the touch screen etc but who cares really if it doesnt af well - 7 d is a fine camera for wildlife, birds, sports, motor sport etc only shortcoming is its pretty complicated to learn to use well and its high iso performance over 800 / 1600 could be better IMHO !!
    cheers rob
    Last edited by patrol50; 24-05-2014 at 11:37am.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by unistudent1962 View Post
    My son's been looking for a body and I've been put off the 70D by reports of AF problems.
    http://photography-on-the.net/forum/....php?t=1354075
    Well,
    its to late know, just bought it! I will soon fine out if I have a problem or not. My battery is charging and I will try later! And if I have to then I have to learn how to micro adjust my leses to the camera I guess!
    Cheers!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by twix View Post
    Well,
    its to late know, just bought it! I will soon fine out if I have a problem or not. My battery is charging and I will try later! And if I have to then I have to learn how to micro adjust my leses to the camera I guess!
    Cheers!
    good luck then hope it works out well for you was it a 7 d you bought ? - appears the 70 d has had some alleged problems in europe re af- ing with fast lenses and very narrow dof 's- - cant really comment on that as dont have that kind of gear set up
    Last edited by patrol50; 24-05-2014 at 4:31pm.

Ausphotography Regular wideangle's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you go the 7D you won't have any regrets from this camera, its great for all kinds of photography, great auto focus and the live view on the back of the screen is more than useful with shooting marco photography. It may be getting an older camera, but its how you use the camera that makes the photos, not just new gear. What did you end up getting?
    please ask before PP my images

"Life is what happens to you while your busy making other plans"

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like I wrote in an earlier post wideangle and Patrol50 I bought the 70D now. And so far I can say I have no problems with the 90mm F2.8 Tammi, but it always gives me an err.1 ( bad connection between camera and lens) with the 17 -50 f2.8 Tammi. Then i take the lens of and put it back on and it is fine. Offcourse it is anoying. Appart of that I am pretty happy with the camera. The AF as far as I can see it works well. Still I might take the camera and go over to HN and see if I still can swap over to the 7D! Will see what they say!
    If they don`t well then I have to live with it! And hopefully Cannon brings a firmware update which sorts the prob.
    Cheers Klaus!

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Came just back from HN, they took the 70D back and get me a 7D from their Bondi Junction shop, should be here latest at thursday!
    Cheers!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi
    I have just invested in a 70D with a prime (50 1.8 II which is proving to be a great lens. I would like to have suggestions on what is my next purchase. I am most interested in pet / animal photos and would like something that I can use to get close. I have used Sigma glass on an old Minolta and so I am not married to Canon but budget is limited to around $500. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi HughD,
    I have only the 75 - 300 lens which is not very good, I look into sport and wildlife as well, and I think my next bigger investment will be a 70 - 200F4 or if I can spend a little bit more maybe the 70 - 200 F2.8 in both cases the non IS version.I also thought obn Tamron or Sigma because they are cheaper but you get always different opinions about IQ and AF.

Hugh,
    try the search function for more info, or even better start your owen thraed about your question. I do not think that many people look into this thread anymore, thats why I think you would get more info if you start a thread about what you look for and you will get more likely more info!

And welcome in the forum!
    Cheers Klaus!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Klaus
    Thanks for the feedback. I will start a new thread as you suggest.
    Cheers
    Hugh

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Was me an p[leasure !
    Enjoy your photography !
    Cheers Klaus!