User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: Going back to photography as a hobby?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Going back to photography as a hobby?

I'm seriously considering getting rid of all my DSLR gear and studio gear and stopping trying to make it into a second job and just enjoy my m43 kit as a hobby... Since I semi-decided this last night I feel pressure off my shoulders to get clients to make all my expensive gear worthwhile...

It's almost hard to believe the amount of gear of I've built up over the last few years. I think the gear-lust and then guilt and self-inflicted pressure to make money from my gear has taken the fun out of it.

I have had a couple of paying jobs and have a family portrait session in a month for a friend and a high school prom at the end of the year, but I don't feel its enough to justify all the gear. (I can pass those jobs to friends who are full-time photographers...)

Anyone else been through this same experience?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, just trying to understand the situation more; is the pressure really just trying to make the most of the equipment by getting clients to work with, success, etc?

Or is it something else? If anything, maybe try watching this seminar if you haven't already:
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/explora/...raphy-business

It talks about successful business, but I don't focus on the money side of success, for me, it's the joy of taking photos. I would love for photography to be my primary job, but that'll take time. But in making money at the moment or not, I simply enjoy taking photos, and want to improve on my skills.

So in answering your question, going back to photography as a hobby?

I've had those thoughts when considering my current situation, and I'm right now, it seems that photographer can only be a hobby at the moment. I still have a goal to become a full time photographer one day. So I am currently looking for clients, talking to friends, family, etc, and hopefully that can start helping me make money from those extra jobs, and eventually going full time.

So my view is, even if it becomes a hobby, make money from it either way.

Just my rant and 2 cents lol
    David Tran
    Sony a55
    Sony DT 18-70mm f/3.5-5.6
    Now sits as an antique as it no longer focuses properly.

Wishlist: Sony RX10iv (or RX10v if it ever comes out)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think all you need to do is accept that it is what it is, ENJOY it, use the gear, have fun, if you happen to pick up a few $ along the way then all good, if you don't well thats still all good, as long as you are enjoying it, there are far worse vices than owning a bit of gear.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've often heard it said that the easiest way to make money from photography is to sell your equipment!

Seriously, though. Starting your own business is a difficult road to travel at any time, and choosing photography in an age where everyone is a "photographer" is a trickier road than many others. In the days when the skills and equipment were limited to a few, there was perhaps a better chance, but in today's climate it would be hard to make a living from photography. Far better, in my view, to hone the skills as an enthusiast whilst relying on a paying job to pay the bills is a better way to go. If you then find that word of mouth and low key advertising allows you to get paid work, then great - but you'll probably have a less stressful life if you don't aim to make it your main income earner.

I've seen friends who are really good photographers trying to earn money, and they seldom manage it. Enjoy the hobby, develop the skills, but don't expect it to support you in the short term, let someone else pay you a salary and cope with the stress.
    Last edited by bobt; 24-05-2014 at 3:37pm.

"If you want to be a better photographer, stand in front of more interesting stuff.” — Jim Richardson