Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  9

Thread: dehumidifying cabinets

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

dehumidifying cabinets

anyone had experience with one of these
    It has recommended to me that I should seriously consider one as I live beside a large saltwater lake to store my gear

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi bobc,
    I haven't as yet, but after a disaster with humidity and my gear I will now be purchasing one.
    I have looked on line and there seems to quite a variety price ranging from $50 - 400, hopefully someone on here will be able to help.
    Also Google reviews on them they can be quite helpful
    Cheers Cargo

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cargo View Post
    Hi bobc,
    I haven't as yet, but after a disaster with humidity and my gear I will now be purchasing one.
    I have looked on line and there seems to quite a variety price ranging from $50 - 400, hopefully someone on here will be able to help.
    Also Google reviews on them they can be quite helpful
    Cheers Cargo
    thanks for quick reply
    you have probably confirmed my choice to go with one
    found one at photoequipmentstore.com.au that seems to be the goods
    will keep you posted

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheap option is Silica kitty litter. Place it in a tupperware box under a rack. Put your lenses etc on the rack and close. When the beads change colour put them on a shallow plate and microwave until they change back to original colour. Put back in tupperware and seal. Put lenses back in when all cooled down. Dont microwave beads from the cat litter tray, it will make your porridge taste a little funky
    Cheers Kieran

Tamron 90 macro, Sigma 70-200 f2.8, Tokina 11-16 f2.8, Cannon 50 f1.8, Cannon 18-55. Cannon 550D

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That sounds interesting Kieran .... Do you think it would work well in the tropics ?

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dont have any problems with my camera gear here in Brisbane.
    Its all sitting/laying on the bed in the spare room with good air circulation where I can get at it easy
    The only time some of it is packed away is if we go on Holidays. Guess I am lucky.

Read about that Cargo that would be heartbreaking for you. Any product that soaks up moisture is good
    I have things like that in the wardrobes to stop the mould growing on the leather shoes and handbags where there is not much circulation.
    Occasionally I leave the wardrobe doors open though that is an accident waiting to happen.

I shoot with Olympus Cameras.. Sometimes Canon and My iPhone SE 2020

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Keep my gear in an eski at home with one of those moisture absorbers for closetts.
    The wet season here is very high in humidity. Have had no trouble sofar with mould
    and stuff.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

I like feathers idea of keeping your gear in an eski , this has always been a worry for me when travelling north in the caravan which it can become quite humid after heavy rains. I will give it a try next time up north ,thanks!
    (Mexican)
    Last edited by wok; 22-05-2014 at 3:54pm. Reason: additional txt

Still in the Circle of Confusion Cage's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I took delivery of a Wonderful 23L Dry Cabinet yesterday. Unfortunately they didn't include the local power adapter.

It looks fairly well made and when my adapter arrives I'll post a review.

OK, I just found a spare adapter. I turned it on at 4.45pm with the humidity reading 72%. We'll see how long it takes to drop.
    Last edited by Cage; 22-05-2014 at 5:53pm.
    Cheers
    Kev

Nikon D810: D600 (Astro Modded): D7200 and 'stuff', lots of 'stuff'

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Look forward to reading that Kev

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wok View Post
    I like feathers idea of keeping your gear in an eski , this has always been a worry for me when travelling north in the caravan which it can become quite humid after heavy rains. I will give it a try next time up north ,thanks!
    (Mexican)
    Wok, if your going to use the eski outside the house, be careful not to let direct sunlight onto it. They can get pretty warm inside. Cheers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Damp absorbing stuff from the supermarket works well if your cupboard is relatively sealed, other wise if you live in a humid environment they don't last long. I leave one inside safes to keep things from moulding.

After not using some of my lenses for 1-2 months and sitting in a dark cupboard some mould started to grow on the rubber focus rings. I think the best solution is using the gear regularly as sunlight (UV) will kill/inhibit their growth.
    1DIII, 5DII, 15mm fish, 24mm ts-e, 35L,135L,200L,400L,mpe-65mm
    Film: eos 300, pentax 6x7

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, ninety minutes to come down to 42%.

The Manual says 40% - 55% optimum for cameras so I'll monitor the thermostat to get it to settle in between 45% and 50%. It looks like it takes around one hour to get back to your pre-set after you open the door.

I'm pretty pleased with it so far.

Here is a pic with it loaded with my D800, Nikon 300mm f4, Nikon 28mm f1.8, Nikon 50mm f1.8,Tamron 70-200 f2.8, Tamron 24-70 f2.8, Sigma 150mm f2.8, 2 T/C's and a flash.

I think it's good value for a lot of peace of mind.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks good Kev .... Fits a bit of gear in.
    Does it detect changes automatically bring the temp down ? Also if its not against site rules and if you dont mind ....How much was it ?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks good Kev .... Fits a bit of gear in.
    Does it detect changes automatically bring the temp down ? Also if its not against site rules and if you dont mind ....How much was it ?
    When the humidity rises in the cabinet, it senses it, and activates it's tiny heater to dry the air. You leave it on all the time.

This is the one I bought, It seems to be on special ATM. http://www.photo-shop-studio.com.au/...026c-in-stock/

Cheers

PS: I just checked it and it seems to have settled at 46% which I believe is spot on for lens and cameras.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Kev .... Looks plenty big enough for me and not a bad price either ....
    Definitely on the list

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That sounds interesting Kieran .... Do you think it would work well in the tropics ?
    Since the box is sealed, there will be little extra humidity due to your location. You would need to make sure that you properly sealed it each time and not leave it open after taking your gear out particularly on a 80% RH day. You will no doubt need to rejuvenate the silica gel more often than if you lived further south. I use this method in Melbourne every so often after a cold wet night out with my gear to make sure all the water is out of the internals

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I recently had a lens cleaned and I asked the guy about how to keep the fungi away. His answer is what mary Anne has already alluded to here, and that is to use the camera gear as often as possible. If you don't use it try and put it outside to air at least once a week. Just don't keep it in a cupboard or a camera bag.
    Neil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks feathers*, but I have a few spots in mind to store it that remain cool in the van. May need a new place for the beer, that could be the problem . Thanks again.