User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  16
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help needed & questions to ask ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    https://www.itvsn.com.au/include/oec...category=52066

They have this 1 D5200 with 2 kit lens and some other stuff.. Just a thought but.

It can be paid over 5 months..

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by OzzyDevil; 20-05-2014 at 7:13pm.
    Using Tapatalk

Ausphotography Veteran
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks ...... but looking for more of an upgrade from my D5100

Cheers Cargo

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok np

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Fishy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just a thought??????? If fungus can get in so can a cure? If you are writing off the camera/lens then why not try a humidifier with chlorine water? It maybe worth a try? Just a thought.....cheers Brian
    Cheers Brian.

Canon 7D Kit lenses EFS 18-55 IS EFS 55-250 IS EF28-90 Canon EF 2xll Extender Sigma DG150-500 OS Speedlight 420EX. 580EX

Ausphotography Veteran
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Brian,
    That sounds like something worth looking into .... It seems to make sense !!!
    I'm not writing my gear off yet, as I'm unable to come up with the funds I need & I have decided that I would rather wait a while and get what I really want ..... not settle for just anything. My camera & lenses are still taking good photos and just require a bit more in the PP department.

Cheers Cargo

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't use chlorine, as the acidity could attack and damage both the coatings and/or the cements used to bond the lens elements.

ps. I don't know this .. just postulating a possible scenario. Without expert advice I wouldn't risk it.
    Last edited by arthurking83; 01-06-2014 at 11:48am.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Ausphotography Veteran
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Arthur
    Your advice is always good .... Just grasping at straws I guess
    Cargo

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK .. disinfectant may be OK to help clean and kill fungal spores!

Strangely enough this is one situation where being a smoker can be an advantange!

Here's a bit of info found on the Zeiss site

Fungus according to ZEISS

I can't say that chlorine vapour (as proposed in the previous reply) will not damage your lens, it seems that by using the term disinfectant, which chlorine is .. Zeiss are saying that chlorine on some cotton can be used to clean out and kill fungus inside your lens.

yet at the top of the page, they say that the metabolic byproducts of the fungi(ie. acids compounds) can damage lenses! :

Now back to the question of camera replacement and cost and type.
    Have a look at some of the Aussie retailers online.

I can't remember what lenses you have, but it's definitely time to replace any affected lens with a new one at least.

I'd say maybe an all in one kit type zoom like the 18-140VR to start with, to keep price to as low point as you can for now. Do you want/need any longer focal length?

If so then change the lens to types more suitable .. like an 18-105 + 55-300 or something.
    It never hurts to have a small amount of overlap.

Personally, if I were to be starting with a new camera and a cheap set of lenses, I'd be looking for:

D7100 + Sigma 10-20 f/4-5.6(or 8-16mm f/4-5.6) + 18-105VR(or 18-140VR) + 70-200/4(or alternatively a 300mm f/4).

I don't know what the total cost would be on all that .. something like $2-3K all up, but I'd be looking to do this over a time frame rather than all at once anyhow.

Alternatively if a D7100 is too much(both in terms of features you don't need, and price) a D5300 would be ideal.
    I've seen D5300 + 18-105VR kits for about $1100 from local retailers. add a few more bits and it doesn't seem too hard on the wallet.(unless you're like me and totally broke!)

D750 Shines
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cage View Post
    I have a Wonderful Dry Box ( yes, that's it's name) and it works well. Comes with a dehumidify unit which you re-charge by plugging into a power point.
    +1
    I have this dry box and its fantastic yet really inexpensive,a great investment were humidity reign supreme

cheers
    Last edited by WhoDo; 01-06-2014 at 6:18pm. Reason: Fixed quote tags

Nikon D750,D500,Z6,Coolpix P7700
    Nikkor 300mm f/4E PF ED VR, Nikkor 16-35mm f/4 VR, Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8, Tokina 100mm f/2.8, Tamron 60mm f/2 , Tamron SP 24-70mm f2.8 VC Di, Nikon Z 24-70mm f/4
    FTZ adapator
    Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art

Fishy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So it got me thinking so I used google https://au.answers.yahoo.com/questio...2194228AAnZkQt U/V light might be an answer? Just another thought, cheers Brian

- - - Updated - - -

So it got me thinking so I used google https://au.answers.yahoo.com/questio...2194228AAnZkQt U/V light might be an answer? Just another thought, cheers Brian

Ausphotography Veteran
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the all responses everyone

At the moment I'm just going to continue using my D5100 and kit lenses. What I really want is the D7100 and probably one good all round lens, after much research, reading reviews and investigation into costs from various retailers I'm confused as hell. But in saying that I know what I don't want, so I suppose that's something.

I'm leaning toward a good walkaround zoom and have looked at everything from Sigma Tamron and Nikon. In the ranges of 18-300 to 28-200/300 and 70-200, I believe these kind of lenses will suit my style. I use my 55-300 60% of the time & then my 18-55 for the rest & my macro didn't get as much use as I thought it would. I think I need to actually physically hold these in combination with the camera and feel the weight for starters, and hopefully that will eliminate some of the choices.

Arthur, one of the over riding reasons I would like the D7100 is that its weather proof ..... A big plus for me now !!!! At the moment my budget would only just cover the camera and a cheap lens ($1600 tops) let alone a new bag, dehumidifying cabinet, filters, & an SD card etc, and I need to get everything at once. I'm a bit leery of buying from of the retailers that sell grey imports .... I have not done much buying that way !!! There is an AP sponsor ..... Digital Camera Gear ..... That I like the look of, even if they are more expensive and I will possibly give them a call, they get only good reviews.

So that's my situation in a nutshell, So at the moment I'm happy to wait for a while .... Well not happy but have to !!!!

Cheers Cargo

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't agree that mould shouldn't occur within only three years. I have experienced mould to grow on lens surfaces within just a few months and the damage was not reversible. Mould can etch the surface of a lens element and is extremely difficult or impossible to remove. NEVER buy a lens with even slight signs of mould!

Ausphotography Regular Nick Cliff's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Led lights may help with the mould as they work to reverse yellowing in super takumar lenses and I clean second hand lenses outer lens surfaces with Hydrogen Peroxide as insurance before use,regards Nick.

Still in the Circle of Confusion Cage's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got an email today from Ryda.com where I got my camera from.

They have some ex Nikon refurbished lens and cameras with full warranty. Might be worth a look.

http://www.ryda.com.au/Reworked-Refu...ras-s/1540.htm

Cheers
    Last edited by Cage; 02-06-2014 at 11:06pm.
    Cheers
    Kev

Nikon D810: D600 (Astro Modded): D7200 and 'stuff', lots of 'stuff'

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LudwigVB View Post
    I don't agree that mould shouldn't occur within only three years. ....
    Yeah!

I should have retracted my comment about that.
    There is another thread about mould in a relatively new lens.

This is obviously a tropical or warmer climate issue(I live in Melb).
    Last edited by arthurking83; 03-06-2014 at 10:57pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi cargo...sorry to hear of your dramas. If you are still looking at a lens, I used my 18-200 on my d90 constantly til I bought the d600. It is a pretty good all rounder, not too heavy and covers most situations . Maybe one to look at..good luck
    D610 and D90 with a 16-35mm f/4,a 70-200mm f/4 ,a 300mm f/4 +TC11 convertor, 18-200mmDX and 85mm micro Dx.

Sally...CC always appreciated

My Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/salnel

Still in the Circle of Confusion Cage's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Cargo

A tool I have found useful in my lens selections is this link. http://www.photozone.de/

I'm not saying that they're the best or anything, but they do seem to do a pretty comprehensive evaluation of the gear they test. They sure as hell know a lot more of the techy stuff than I do.

Here are a couple of other test sites. http://www.lenstip.com/ and this mob who will also give you recommended lens for various camera models. http://www.dxomark.com/Lenses/Camera-Lens-Database

Good luck with your deliberations.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Kev
    I will have a look at them all ...... I need all the help I can get !!!
    Cheers Cargo

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12