Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  15

Thread: Windows 7 password problem....AAAAAAGH

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Windows 7 password problem....AAAAAAGH

Ok can anyone help.............

I last used my desktop on Monday night .....stayed up late editing and designing photo books. When done, I shut down my system as normal and went to bed. Went down stairs tonight and turned on computer.............................SUDDENLY it is requesting a password!!!!!! I have never had a password........I do not have a password reset disk......there are no other users on my computer......how the %$#@ did a password suddenly appear and how can I get rid of it??????

Anyone have any clues? I looked online and all the answers were gloom and doom ie it can't be done!

I am still at a loss as to how the so called pass word got on there in the first place

Any and all help gratefully received............I have a ton of stuff to do and can't afford down time at the moment Baaaahhhhh!

Cheers Karen (ps I'm typing this on my laptop)

oh and I'm running windows 7
    Canon 5diii; Canon 7D; Canon 3.5 15-85mm IS USM; Canon 4-5.6 70-300mm IS USM; Canon 1.4 50mm , Canon Macro 100mm 2.8 L IS USM, Canon 35mm 1.4 L USM, Canon 24-105mm L IS USM, CPL and UV filters, manfrotto tripod and Lowepro backpack plus dreams for so much more!!

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Google Windows 7 password key cracker or similar. There are programs like Winkey that can do this for earlier versions of Windows (NT, XP, Vista, etc.). I'd be surprised if someone hadn't come up with a utility for Win7 by now.

Is it possible one of the family did it without you knowing? If not, then you may have been hacked. Sorry you're having trouble Karen. Wish I could be more help but time and distance are against that.
    Waz
    Be who you are and say what you mean, because those who matter don't mind don't matter and those who mind don't matter - Dr. Seuss...
    D700 x 2 | Nikkor AF 50 f/1.8D | Nikkor AF 85 f/1.8D | Optex OPM2930 tripod/monopod | Enthusiasm ...

Still in the Circle of Confusion Cage's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you go into the BIOS you may be able to disable the password.

I also run W7 and set it up without passwords, but every now and then it gives me a pop-up saying I don't have permission to perform this action. Go figure.
    Cheers
    Kev

Nikon D810: D600 (Astro Modded): D7200 and 'stuff', lots of 'stuff'

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    just try hitting enter, the password could well be 'nothing'
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Can you get to 'safe mode'? Start the computer and while it is doing its 'startup' hit F8, just keep tapping F8 as the computer starts up and see if it will let you into safe mode.

If it does, then you can enable GODMODE. To access godmode, right click on the desktop and create a new folder, name your folder "GodMode.{ED7BA470-8E54-465E-825C-99712043E01C}" (copy and paste this without the quotes). Hit enter.

This will see the folder renamed to godmode. Click on it and it will give you access to well... GODMODE. This lets you basically change anything and everything about the computer. Just scroll down to user accounts and adjust the settings you need.

Restart the computer and you should be good to go

Note that godmode allows you to change/delete advanced system settings so be careful with what you do, and you do so at your own risk.
    Last edited by ricktas; 14-05-2014 at 11:15pm.

Perpetually Bewildered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Karen do you have the original Win 7 install dvd or a repair dvd, or do you have access to another PC running Win 7 ?

I've reset the password on Win XP using the repair console but I don't know if the same process works on Win 7.

Cheers.
    Phil.

Some Nikon stuff. I shoot Mirrorless and Mirrorlessless.

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try this if you need to http://www.prime-expert.com/ebcd/
    regards, Kym Gallery Honest & Direct Constructive Critique Appreciated! ©
    Digital & film, Bits of glass covering 10mm to 500mm, and other stuff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can also try resetting the password through command prompt. Bit of googleing required though.
    Cheers, Troy

D800; AF-S 24-70mm f/2.8G; AF-S 50mm 1.8G; SB-910; || 120-300mm f/2.8 DG OS HSM 'S'; APO Teleconverter 2x DG || Phantom 2; H32D Gimbal; 5.8Ghz FPV LCD GS

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    just try hitting enter, the password could well be 'nothing'
    He He tried that

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillum View Post
    Karen do you have the original Win 7 install dvd or a repair dvd, or do you have access to another PC running Win 7 ?

I've reset the password on Win XP using the repair console but I don't know if the same process works on Win 7.

Cheers.

My Lap top runs windows 7 as well......I don't have the original installation disks for Windows 7 as the computers came with it already installed.

- - - Updated - - -

My husband has decided to take the computer to work this morning and get the young tech head/wizard to look at it I have printed off your instructions Rick so we can have a go via the tech head
    All going well I'm hoping to have it back by tonight.

K

- - - Updated - - -

Update: Rick, My Husband tried your instructions this morning and got it into safe mode but once in safe mode it still required a password
    Last edited by ktoopi; 15-05-2014 at 7:44am.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hope you get it fixed soon Karen. I had a similar problem with Windows 8 asking for my Microsoft Account Password. Luckily I had one but in the end I managed to get onto my desktop page without using it - can't remember what I did to get there though. I think it was hitting the enter button.

I had trouble with Skype yesterday asking me to login using a Microsoft Account password which I didn't want to use and have never had to before. Googled the problem and found that If I downloaded the latest version I could sign in with my usual Skype password. My son is leaving for England today for two years so I was horrified to find that I could not access the program.

I don't know what it all means but it becomes very annoying when you can't access your files all of a sudden. I sure I have my computer set to ask me before it makes any changes with updates.
    CAMERA: Nikon D800, Nikon D7000
    LENSES: AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8, Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Macro, Sigma 10 - 20mm F/4 - 5.6, Sigma 150 - 500mm F/5 - 6.3 APO DG OS, Nikkor 18 - 200mm F/3.5 - 5.6 VRII,
    Sigma 70 - 200mm f/2.8 APO EX DG OS, Tamron SP 24 - 70mm f/2.8 Di VC USD, Sigma 85mm F/1.4 EX DG, Nikkor AF-S 16-35mm F/4 ED VR, Nikkor AF-S 200-500 f/5..6E ED VR
    MY WEBSITES: www.nawimages.com, http://nelliewajzerphotography.smugmug.com/, http://NellieWajzerPhotography.blogspot.com

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just to be sure:

You only have one user on the PC, and that is Karen I'm assuming.

The PC now and suddenly without any reason requests a password.

So it now takes you to the login screen .. is the username Karen(your account) or Administrator.

Even if you have only one user account created on the PC, there is always the Administrator account created as well, so your one user account will actually be two.
    if you had two user accounts, that would make it three on the PC .. and so on.

Has the Admin account suddenly become activated?
    This isn't easy to do, but I guess it's not impossible to do unwittingly.

If your user account(eg. Karen) has suddenly just changed and is now asking for a password, I'd be doing all manner of virus scans and port scans to see if you have been hacked into.

In fact, even without getting back into the PC .. I'd be more inclined to just do a reinstall all over again ..... just to be 101% sure that a trojan hasn't been activated!

Of course your data has already been backed up to an external repository of some kind, hasn't it!

good luck with it too tho.
    Last edited by arthurking83; 15-05-2014 at 10:05am.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Perpetually Bewildered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd be pretty confident the 'tech head' will get it sorted...

Quote Originally Posted by ktoopi View Post
    My Lap top runs windows 7 as well.....
    (Just for the sake of 'completeness'...) You can create a Win 7 repair disk on your laptop which can then be used to start up your desktop so you have access to the file system. I don't know how this works on Win 7 but was fairly primitive on XP (basic command-line), but does allow activities like registry restores by manually copying registry files, etc. A quick google turned up these instructions which looks simpler than fiddling about with registry files.

Good luck...

Cheers.

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm pretty sure that the creation of a repair disk isn't required.

Most laptop vendors have a small area allocated in the HDD where a repair disk will be placed.
    There should be an option at bootup to boot into this repair area to get the process going.

On a default Win7 installation, you won't see the separate partition, as Windows explorer is set to not display system files and folders.
    The drive is most likely allocated to D: drive(which you won't see).
    Change the settings in Windows to display system files and folders and D: drive should come up as a new drive in your Computer directory.

The manual is the best place to see how to boot into recovery mode tho.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure what he did yet .......but the good news is the young engineer who works for my husband who is also a computer tech head, has sorted the problem and my computer is fixed!!! YAY Just waiting eagerly for hubby to get home from work and set it all back up for me

Thanks for all your replies everyone
    Woop Woop

- - - Updated - - -

I just found out they used the link that Kym suggested and an office copy of Windows 7 to reboot......so thanks Kym for the link
    Last edited by WhoDo; 15-05-2014 at 11:00pm. Reason: Removed multiple posts