Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  10

Thread: New DSLR? Help!

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban Matthew21's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New DSLR? Help!

Hi guys! I am using Nikon D90 12.3MP, DSLR camera with AF-S 18-105mm VR Lens and planning to buy a new one? Budget is not an issue! So suggest me some

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    suggestion 1. nothing! keep what you got .. maybe spend a bit on a new lens or two and a holiday to somewhere nice.

(longwinded reply):
    Why do you feel you need a new DSLR? What is it about the D90 that you can't seem to get a grip of, or capture in a photo?(serious question too.. not mucking about)
    Reason for the questions are plentifold .. If you can't identify a solid reason for wanting a new camera, then the new camera may be a wasted effort(money time etc) and you may get disillusioned with the acquisition!

I'm the first person to admit that a new camera can make all the difference in some situations, where most folks reckon a new lens could/would.

If budget wasn't a concern, there's no question about what to get .. D4s all the way!....
    But what will it get 'ya once you have it.

So, do you want to get better landscapes? portraits? abstract? closeups of interesting animals? ... etc.
    What is it about the D90 that doesn't work any more.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, in situs like this it helps to avoid those 10s of replies that may not answer your Q.
    Tell us something of yourself in terms of photography, some possible reasons for getting another camera
    (besides the fact you've not heard of tonight's Budget). What other motives drive you?
    Am.
    CC, Image editing OK.

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ameerat42 View Post
    Well, in situs like this it helps to avoid those 10s of replies that may not answer your Q.
    Tell us something of yourself in terms of photography, some possible reasons for getting another camera
    (besides the fact you've not heard of tonight's Budget). What other motives drive you?
    Am.
    landscape photography is somewhat i love so advice me accordingly that

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the advice m8
    And i just need to switch. I was doing Portrait photography with my D90 but now i need camera for capturing landscapes

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ameerat42 View Post
    Am.
    I was using D90 for portrait photography which was my project. Now i want to switch as i so want to capture landscapes Thank you so much for the advice m8. Cheers
    Last edited by Matthew21; 14-05-2014 at 4:33pm.

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Keep the D90 and buy a Sigma 10-20mm Ultra Wide lens for the Nikon F mount. Then you will get wonderful landscapes. There is nothing wrong with the D90 for that or any other genre except perhaps professional images for printing on bill boards, etc. Even so ... nothing wrong with the body IMHO.
    Waz
    Be who you are and say what you mean, because those who matter don't mind don't matter and those who mind don't matter - Dr. Seuss...
    D700 x 2 | Nikkor AF 50 f/1.8D | Nikkor AF 85 f/1.8D | Optex OPM2930 tripod/monopod | Enthusiasm ...

Still in the Circle of Confusion Cage's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jeez, I know a lot of people weren't too happy with the Feral Budget, but I think Brisbane moving to the ACT is a bit an overreaction.

M8, if this is not a gee-up, do as Who Do suggests, and buy the Sigma 10-20mm lens. You don't change cameras for different shooting situations, you change your lens.
    Last edited by Cage; 14-05-2014 at 10:58pm.
    Cheers
    Kev

Nikon D810: D600 (Astro Modded): D7200 and 'stuff', lots of 'stuff'

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    HUH, you want a new camera cause you now shoot landscapes? First up you have chosen beginner as your experience level. Forget about buying a new camera and learn how to use A camera. Learn how to take photos with what you have. Upgrading as a beginner is a complete waste of money.

Your D90 can produce superb results when the photographer knows what they are doing. Buying a new camera is not going to get you better photos.

If you think you need a new camera cause you used to take portraits and now want to take landscapes, then you have no idea how cameras work and thus you need to learn more about photography. Sorry to sound harsh but you are looking at this the completely wrong way round. A D90 can take portraits, landscapes, macro, sport, pets, night, photography and more.

Forget about getting a new camera and learn how to use the one you have.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cage View Post
    Jeez, I know a lot of people weren't too happy with the Feral Budget, but I think Brisbane moving to the ACT is a bit an overreaction.

Good pickup. A quick check and guess where our thread starter is from. INDIA: http://www.ip-adress.com/ip_tracer/182.71.214.170

Banned!
    Last edited by ricktas; 14-05-2014 at 11:18pm.

Still in the Circle of Confusion Cage's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    Good pickup. A quick check and guess where our thread starter is from. INDIA: http://www.ip-adress.com/ip_tracer/182.71.214.170

Banned!
    Why am I not surprised.

The thread had "TROLL" written all over it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Who knows, his concern may have been very legitimate and wanted to be more Australian to fit into the crowd here.
    David Tran
    Sony a55
    Sony DT 18-70mm f/3.5-5.6
    Now sits as an antique as it no longer focuses properly.

Wishlist: Sony RX10iv (or RX10v if it ever comes out)

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bitsnpieces View Post
    Who knows, his concern may have been very legitimate and wanted to be more Australian to fit into the crowd here.
    India and Nigeria are our main spammer sources, We have blocked Russia and China at the Root IP level cause fairly much everyone joining from those two were spammers. We have over 200 people (sometimes automated bots) try to join the site every day that are known spammers. We are part of a global anti-spam initiative so all new registrations are checked against a database of known spammers.

Below is a copy of the log from early this morning, you can see from the times that we get them all the time and they repeatedly try to join to get round our anti-spam measures.

A lot of work goes into ensuring AP remains SPAM free. Most of the other Aussie photo forums use the same techniques we do to stop spammers.
    Attached Images Attached Images

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bitsnpieces View Post
    So why not state that they were in India?

Many AP members from overseas list their location as ... Singapore, Tokyo, Philippines, New Zealand ... Hobart even!

The point is, why be surreptitious about it when there was no need too. (in a word .. spammer!)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you Rick - can understand that there are many spammers out there. Was just a random thought I had lol

Quote Originally Posted by arthurking83 View Post
    So why not state that they were in India?

Many AP members from overseas list their location as ... Singapore, Tokyo, Philippines, New Zealand ... Hobart even!

The point is, why be surreptitious about it when there was no need too. (in a word .. spammer!)
    True he could have just put India, but as previously mentioned, probably wanted to be more Aussie so tried to fit in. :P

Oh well, spammer caught either way.