User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: Sigma 120-400

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sigma 120-400

Am seriously considering purchasing the new Sigma 120-400 mainly for birding. Does anyone have one ? Would love to hear any feedback. No reviews out yet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am currently have one.

The image stabilization is 1 stop better than Canon's L equivalence. I personally feel in many way it handles better than the Canon's 100-400mm L. It has a high quality matty black finish and very nice to handle. Handling the zoom by turning the front zoom ring (vs pump action of the L). I personally feel it is a little soft on the long end, but 350/360 and below has been great for me. It's much easier to handle than the 150-500 IS due to lighter weight.

Color wise the 100-400L is slightly richer than both the 120-400 OS and 150-500 OS but only if you pixel peeping. IMO the 120-400 OS has the best image clarity compare to both the L and 150-500OS.

When buying a new one, try to find a shop that can provide you AT LEAST 3 to test with your camera body, Sigma for Canon mount has been notorious on front/back focus. If buy second hand, make sure to get one that has been tuned. Buying new in Australia thru proper dealer allows you the send the lens back to C R Kennedy (Sigma wholesale) to adjust it till it match your camera body, hack they will even price match to grey import (except ebay). I personally WOULD NOT recommend to buy grey import if you are using Canon mount due to above reason.

I bought mine in Australia, tuned by C R Kennedy and it have perfect focus in both of my 500D and 1D. If you are anywhere near Brisbane you are welcome to give it a trial.
    Last edited by andylo; 01-02-2011 at 1:06am.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks andylo. I will see if C R KENNEDY can match DWI price $810 del'.

Cheers, Paul

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If not give me a yell.... as I need some fund for a 50mm f/1.2

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

This is quite an old thread but I know that I looked at everything I could find in order to make my own decision so hopefully this may help someone trying to decide about this lens.

I have just bought the Sigma 120-400mm and I must admit that I was quite concerned by all the talk about "good copy, bad copy". I bought in Sydney and insisted that they guarantee a no questions asked swap if I was unhappy with the performance. They were not thrilled but agreed for the sake of a sale. I have only taken it out once and I have to say that I am thrilled with the results so far. I have never used a telephoto this long or this heavy before and I am sure that things will get better as I get to know the lens but at this point I am very happy. I would recommend it to anyone who is considering it. It may be about to be discontinued or upgraded - I'm not sure - but it was hard to find one and the price has dropped several hundred dollars.

I shoot Canon and the 100-400 L is very nearly $1200 more. It was a no-brainer as I am not a professional photographer trying to make my living from photography - there was no way that I could justify the price difference. From everything that I have read it seems that the Canon is sharper, better, lighter etc and I am in no position to argue with that - BUT it is still more than twice the price.

I haven't worked out how to upload photo samples yet (new) so I am hoping that this link will show up properly https://www.flickr.com/photos/ozsnapz/13599002205/ .

If that isn't sharp enough then I can't offer any more advice! Good luck with your choice.

PROGRESS - I have been able to upload an image but the resizing doesn't really give much of an opportunity to have a close look - the linked image is full size and should give a much better idea.

.IMG_4570e.jpg

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Regards
    John
    Nikon D750, Sigma 105mm OS Macro, Tokina 16-28 F2.8, Sigma 24-105 Art, Sigma 150-600C,
    Benro Tripod and Monopod with Arca plates