User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  4

Thread: Lightroom and automated backup disaster

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightroom and automated backup disaster

I use Lightroom2 - (Haven't felt the need to upgrade and not the issue anyway)

I wanted to back up my whole hard drive so got a Toshiba 2TB which would hold the CD and external drive

Came with backup soft ware including cloud.
    Set it up to copy - excellent!

Blew my internet allowance oops

But the problem was that now Lightroom has added the "F drive" as the source of my photos and ofcourse as they are now back up extensions it can't read them! I have located copies elsewhere - and back up my master file, so all is not lost but what a pain!

Has anybody else had this happen with "automated back up". I think I will flick of the cloud. It looks great for the odd file of jpegs but throusands of RAW files at 10meg or more makes it expensvie slow and breaks the internet allowances.

Would like others advice on this aspect for work flow! Cheers Bernie
    Berni

""The most important piece of camera equipment you will ever own sits between your ears...."

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This trend to backup to the cloud!!

I can't see why people seem to 'want' it!
    As you already said, backup the odd image here and there if need be, but to back up raw images to the cloud? (I just don't get it).

What I find strange about this idea of backup to cloud is that (as an example):

Say you have two locations of your data sourced locally, one on the computer, and one externally(as everyone should have at the least) .. and lets say this data amounts to about 500Gb .. more like 1Tb for some.(I have over 1Tb of backed up images alone!)

If the worst case situation occurs, where both local data stores are corrupted/lost somehow, is it really a practical manner in which to restore all that data to your important device(in this case the computer).
    Ever tried to download 500G, or 1Tb of data.

If a third ultra safe storage requirement is needed, better options exist.
    My preference is for a third storage system. This could be remotely located(in case of disaster) or housed in a safe of some kind .. or even in your car or caravan if possible.

Maybe in 20years time, when Aussie connection speeds approach something close to world best standard(upload speeds are a joke!) .. maybe the cloud could be a solution.

Sorry have no solution for you on the topic of LR backing up, as I've never used it in this way.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The argument of cloud serves is that their facilities are much safer than a local hard drive. For business, total cost of ownership and on costs with manual back ups etc is less. But then that is what "they" say when "they" whoever they are - (I'm not paranoid and I am sure the CIA does not run a neural net over your data base looking for nasty plans) are selling something. It sounded great to have everying automated but in practice - take Arthur's advice

Big letter: IT DOES NOT WORK

Worse still - trying to do a "restore" - heed others advice. What ever you do it is not the back up that is the issue. The issue is Big letters: CAN YOU RESTORE! And you need to test this before going on your merry way. Thankfully I have separate copies.

If there are aspiring new photographers - even for "family snaps" I reckon this matter should be thought out before you start loading up your C drive.

Oh Well all good in hindsight... Thanks Arthur - your opinion has resolved what I need to do!

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bercy View Post
    I use Lightroom2 - (Haven't felt the need to upgrade and not the issue anyway)

I wanted to back up my whole hard drive so got a Toshiba 2TB which would hold the CD and external drive

Came with backup soft ware including cloud.
    Set it up to copy - excellent!

Blew my internet allowance oops

But the problem was that now Lightroom has added the "F drive" as the source of my photos and ofcourse as they are now back up extensions it can't read them! I have located copies elsewhere - and back up my master file, so all is not lost but what a pain!

Has anybody else had this happen with "automated back up". I think I will flick of the cloud. It looks great for the odd file of jpegs but throusands of RAW files at 10meg or more makes it expensvie slow and breaks the internet allowances.

Would like others advice on this aspect for work flow! Cheers Bernie
    I am not 100% certain about your problem but can you change the drive letter to get back to the drive that originally had the images, where I presume they remain untouched since you have only done a backup. Or can you import them again to the catalogue from the new drive F.
    The age of entitlement isn't over, it's just over there where you can't get to it.
    When several possibilities exist, the simplest solution is the best.
    "There are no rules" Bruce Barnbaum, The art of Photography
    Graham

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IMHO clouds are good for .... rain.
    Gear: Panasonic Lumix FZ200 / Huawei Mate 20 / LR 5, PSE 12, Da Vinci resolve

"I may be crazy, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong."

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Clearly, the issue here isn't cloud or any other kind of backup, it is Lightroom's brain-dead input-output and file handling.
    Tony

It's a poor sort of memory that only works backwards.

Account Closed at member's request
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can you not restore the files to their original location and then move them to the new location via the move function in lightroom? That way lightroom is aware of what's happened.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    My hard-drive died and the NSA would not give me access to their copy bastards
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It gets worse. I now have "recently imported" 2000+ images of ads, posters pictures of leaves and background and God knows what else. I did a quick scan to make sure I didn't get anything nasty! I don't think it is a hack, rather it is importing pictures from just about anything I have looked at! Starting to think dudes on the film section with carefully filed negatives may not be so silly. Rick - I you have had such an experience it bodes badly - and I am thinking non encrypted manual back up onto your own portable hard drive is the only way to go.