User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  33
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22

Thread: [NSFW] and [Nudity] tags

  1. #1
    Member CapnBloodbeard's Avatar
    Join Date
    24 Apr 2008
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    332
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    [NSFW] and [Nudity] tags

    I find it a bit odd that we don't seem to have a requirement to clearly indicate if an image is NSFW or contains nudity; this is the only forum where this is a requirement.

    The reasons for using these are self-evident, and while some are considerate enough to use them anyway, not everybody shares that same concern for others. So, in the interests of allowing people to have some idea what they're bringing up when they click a link (and it's not just about being at work, it's also about choosing what to view if the computer is in a family environment), I think this should be a site rule.
    Last edited by CapnBloodbeard; 04-05-2014 at 2:36pm.

  2. #2
    Administrator ricktas's Avatar
    Join Date
    24 Jun 2007
    Location
    Hobart
    Posts
    15,128
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    We leave it up to the individual to decide. We have never had a rule re NSFW, and left it entirely up to the member to use, or not.

    My personal view and experience is that most employers (workplaces) have policies that restrict use of the web in the workplace for personal matters. Therefore if people are concerned about seeing something on the net whilst at work, they perhaps should not be on the net, for personal use, during work time. After all you can find topless women posing on what are considered News sites these days. But they do not have NSFW tags.
    Last edited by ricktas; 04-05-2014 at 3:00pm.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

    Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

    RICK
    My Photography

  3. #3
    Moderately Underexposed I @ M's Avatar
    Join Date
    04 May 2007
    Location
    Marlo, Far East Gippsland
    Posts
    4,864
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CapnBloodbeard View Post
    I find it a bit odd that we don't seem to have a requirement to clearly indicate if an image is NSFW or contains nudity; this is the only forum where this is a requirement.
    if you are saying that this is the only forum where it isn't required then I'm sorry but you are very very wrong.

    Quote Originally Posted by CapnBloodbeard View Post
    The reasons for using these are self-evident, and while some are considerate enough to use them anyway, not everybody shares that same concern for others.
    If you are so concerned about it then simply don't view any part of AP when you are worried about what others around you might think.

    Quote Originally Posted by CapnBloodbeard View Post
    So, in the interests of allowing people to have some idea what they're bringing up when they click a link (and it's not just about being at work, it's also about choosing what to view if the computer is in a family environment), I think this should be a site rule.
    You are obviously aware that there might be nudity on the site, as above, simply don't view the site at times when you are concerned about the sensibilities of others around you. As for family environments, if members of AP wish to view the range of portraiture on here yet they want to hide it from their families then I have to ask the question as to how stable and functional the family is to start with -----

    I suspect that term NSFW has American origins, they seem to have very puritanical and hypocritical attitudes towards such things.
    Perhaps you would be better off only viewing those forums.
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.



  4. #4
    Other side of the hill ... WhoDo's Avatar
    Join Date
    22 Jun 2010
    Location
    Lake Macquarie
    Posts
    4,880
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I posted the following in another thread in response to the OP's request for NSFW labelling. It seems my response wasn't accepted.
    The chances of finding an image that meets your NSFW criteria in the Formal and Posed forum are astronomical. My advice is simply don't open Formal and Posed at work. That leaves at least 99.9% of the forum available for viewing without causing anyone offence ... unless, of course, we are talking about your employer who SHOULD be concerned with such matters. JMHO of course.
    The fact of the matter is that you will NOT find nudity anywhere but the Formal and Posed forum, and even there you will NOT find nudity beyond the normally accepted public standard for this society. That is because we have young people who are also members here. IMHO, the solution is quite simple; do NOT view the Formal and Posed forum at work or where there are minor children who might ask awkward questions. Beyond that I'd suggest a review of the difference between artistic nudity and the more prurient kinds found on newsagent's shelves. My $AUD0.02c on the subject. As long as the balance of the discussion here remains on topic and does not degenerate into a heated discussion of morality in art or similar, I'll be interested in all opinions to the contrary.

    PS: I'm also reminded by a reliable source that winning competition entries featuring nudity have also appeared on the main page image rotator. Bit hard to avoid that with a NSFW heading, isn't it? Not that you would WANT to avoid it IF you have a healthy attitude to artistic nudity. Just sayin'
    Last edited by WhoDo; 04-05-2014 at 7:14pm. Reason: Added Postscript
    Waz
    Be who you are and say what you mean, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind - Dr. Seuss...
    D700 | D7000 | Nikkor AF-S 18-55 DX 1:3.5-5.6G | Nikkor AF-S 55-300 DX 1:4.5-5.6 G ED | Nikkor AF 50 f/1.8D | Optex OPM2930 tripod/monopod | Enthusiasm ...
    My Flickr images ...

  5. #5
    Ausphotography Irregular Warbler's Avatar
    Join Date
    12 Jul 2012
    Location
    Rockyview
    Posts
    1,951
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Must be a real PITA taking the kids to the art gallery or museum for some. A visit to Europe might be out of the question with all those scandalous statues too. Just sayin.....

  6. #6
    It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Kym's Avatar
    Join Date
    15 Jun 2008
    Location
    Modbury, Adelaide
    Posts
    9,633
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The problem with tagging NSFW etc. is when someone forgets.
    Then all hell breaks loose as people say the forum got me into trouble at work.

    It is too hard to enforce, of dubious value, and the existing rules mean that only images like that you might find on news.com.au are shown anyway.
    regards, Kym Gallery Honest & Direct Constructive Critique Appreciated! ©
    Digital & film, Bits of glass covering 10mm to 500mm, and other stuff



  7. #7
    Ausphotography Addict geoffsta's Avatar
    Join Date
    07 May 2010
    Location
    Bruthen, East Gippsland
    Posts
    4,606
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think I have ever seen anything that would be regarded as pure nudity. Certainly nothing that could be regarded as what might appear to be porn. And nothing that you wouldn't see in a photo gallery. or on the street in Melbourne
    Yes you might see the odd boobie, or bare chested man. (Although outstar79 and Mick in their undies might excite some) But nothing an accidental click on a web browser might produce.
    Geoff
    Honesty is best policy.
    CC is always welcome
    Nikon D3000 ... Nikon D90... Nikon D700 Various lenses, Home studio equipment and all the associated stuff
    Flickr

  8. #8
    My friends call me Dave
    Join Date
    29 Nov 2008
    Location
    Traralgon
    Posts
    3,656
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geoffsta View Post
    I don't think I have ever seen anything that would be regarded as pure nudity. Certainly nothing that could be regarded as what might appear to be porn. And nothing that you wouldn't see in a photo gallery. or on the street in Melbourne
    Yes you might see the odd boobie, or bare chested man. (Although outstar79 and Mick in their undies might excite some) But nothing an accidental click on a web browser might produce.
    Your not wrong there Geoff, My 10yo has came across porn when down loading games

    I have never found Nudity on AP that has been offensive to me and would not refrain my young fella from a sneak peek at a Boob.

    I remember watching TV movies when I was kid that had exposed boobs. mum and dad made jokes of it when I tried to sneak a peek and whats it done to me! No harm
    Canon 7d efs 15-85mm, Sigma 150-500mm. Nicon coolpix 5400


  9. #9
    Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Join Date
    21 Nov 2010
    Location
    magical Mudgee
    Posts
    16,362
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G'day CapnBloodbeard. I actually think you should be more specific as to what the problem is.
    As Warbler alluded to, you will see genitalia in public around the world, but not here (against the AP rules).
    I have been wacked on the head by my better half as she walk past and saw me looking at one of Andrews photos. But that's another story for another time! and it had nothing to do with a potentially offensive photo.
    Last edited by Mark L; 05-05-2014 at 9:56pm.

  10. #10
    Today may be the day, Or not !
    Join Date
    31 Jul 2010
    Location
    Perth Northern Suburbs
    Posts
    3,694
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No disrespect here - just my thoughts, but -- How does the OP know what is "Suitable or Not" for a person viewing said image? The OP obvoiusly though it was worthy enough to post, or is looking to refine skill set and looking for CC. I strongly believe that's what AP was/is built on - happy to be proved wrong. (But that's my opinion and sticking with it)

    Next well need "viewer discretion is recommended" for everything. Personal taste aside, staying out of F & P Forum may be your best option..

    Have to agree with Kym - Andrew - Rick and Waz on this on.

    BTW - Keep the nudes coming.... Yeah Boy. No seriously... Art, love it...
    They call me "Blue" it's a red head thing.
    "My Flickr Site"
    Canon Bodies - 1DMk2N + 50D - Lenses - 17-35mm F2.8 L - 24-70mm F2.8 L - 70-200mm F2.8 L - 300mm F4 IS L - Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 - Sigma 10-20mm
    " I Never get tired of looking at our diverse country, even if its through the lens of someone else".
    CC is always appreciated.


  11. #11
    Ausphotography Addict geoffsta's Avatar
    Join Date
    07 May 2010
    Location
    Bruthen, East Gippsland
    Posts
    4,606
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Got my AP mag today. And low and behold there was a set of boobies in it. Straight away my thoughts came to this thread.
    Just thinking, every Sunday I go down to the newsagents/grocery shop to get the Sunday paper. The magazine rack faces toward me as I walk in.
    And in that rack there are countless number of mags with images on the cover that belittle woman in various degrees of suggestive nudity. And guess what...... There is no sign above the rack (I should say shelf) that says (NSFW) or (Cover your kids eyes)
    What is on here is generally only people who want to improve their photography, so eventually they can become good enough to sell their art.

  12. #12
    Ausphotography Regular Brian500au's Avatar
    Join Date
    03 May 2010
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    1,056
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually I am with the OP on this one. If I am posting a shot with what I would consider NSFW, then I find it no more work to mention this in the title out of respect for those who do have concern. I personally am not offended by nudity, but I can respect other peoples point of view opening something at awkward moments.

    Most work places I have worked do have policies covering internet content, and I like others have no problems viewing personal content at work. It seems a shame I have to be cautious to view AP content at work because some people feel it is not necessary to label something NSFW (as seems to be the norm on a lot of other photography forums).
    www.kjbphotography.com.au

    1Dx, 5DsR, 200-400 f4L Ext, 100-400 f4.5-5.6L II, 70-300 f4-5.6L IS, 70-200 f2.8L IS II, 24-70 f2.8L II, 16-35 f4 IS, 11-24 f4L, 85 f1.2L II, 500 f4L IS, 300 f2.8 IS, ∑50 f1.4 A


  13. #13
    It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Kym's Avatar
    Join Date
    15 Jun 2008
    Location
    Modbury, Adelaide
    Posts
    9,633
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian500au View Post
    Actually I am with the OP on this one.
    Not going to happen. It will cause more grief then benefit.
    See my post (and Rick's) http://www.ausphotography.net.au/for...=1#post1229860

  14. #14
    Ausphotography Regular MissionMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    28 Feb 2012
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    1,620
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Roosta View Post
    No disrespect here - just my thoughts, but -- How does the OP know what is "Suitable or Not" for a person viewing said image? The OP obvoiusly though it was worthy enough to post, or is looking to refine skill set and looking for CC. I strongly believe that's what AP was/is built on - happy to be proved wrong. (But that's my opinion and sticking with it)

    Next well need "viewer discretion is recommended" for everything. Personal taste aside, staying out of F & P Forum may be your best option..

    Have to agree with Kym - Andrew - Rick and Waz on this on.

    BTW - Keep the nudes coming.... Yeah Boy. No seriously... Art, love it...
    I think all the OP is saying is what is suitable for work. Most people would be comfortable seeing a set of boobs of they artistic, and let's be realistic here, if you wanted to see more you could find plenty of sites on the web to cater for any fetish you want.

    I guess for some people, you have the flexibility to look at the internet during lunch and the last thing you want at work is a set of boobs on your screen because others in the workplace may get offended by your actions no matter how innocent they are.

    In my case, it doesn't apply. I run my own company, but whilst it doesn't apply to me, I can understand why it would apply to others.

    I don't think it needs to be a hard and fast rule. I think the simple solution would be to send a PM to the relevant person and ask them to do it out of consideration for other members particularly where the topic is not one that may indicate what lies within.
    Fuji XT-2, Fuji VPB-XT2, Fujinon 16-55 f/2.8, Fujinon 50-140 f/2.8, Fujinon 23 f/2, Fujinon 35 f2, Fujinon 90 f/2, Yongnuo YN560 IV, Yongnuo YN560 TX, Benro C3580T
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/atholhill
    https://www.instagram.com/themissionman/


  15. #15
    It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Kym's Avatar
    Join Date
    15 Jun 2008
    Location
    Modbury, Adelaide
    Posts
    9,633
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MissionMan View Post
    I don't think it needs to be a hard and fast rule. I think the simple solution would be to send a PM to the relevant person and ask them to do it out of consideration for other members particularly where the topic is not one that may indicate what lies within.
    And again... If someone forgets or whatever then the site gets blamed for someone getting into trouble at work? We don't want or need that.
    Rick and us moderators have discussed this on several occasions, it's not going to happen (as a site rule or whatever).

  16. #16
    Other side of the hill ... WhoDo's Avatar
    Join Date
    22 Jun 2010
    Location
    Lake Macquarie
    Posts
    4,880
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MissionMan View Post
    I think the simple solution would be to send a PM to the relevant person and ask them to do it out of consideration for other members particularly where the topic is not one that may indicate what lies within.
    I think the simpler solution is for people viewing at work to steer clear of the Formal and Posed forum. Why should posters of acceptable images be REQUIRED to flag them as "Not Suitable" in some way to please a few. Why shouldn't the few just set some simple rules for their own browsing habits at work and leave it at that? Next thing we'll have forum readers complaining about naked animals and wanting the "naughty bits" blurred out!

    Am I being too unreasonable in expecting someone to control their own circumstances rather than expecting me, and others like me, to control things for them? I understand what school teachers have to put up with when parents expect them to do the parenting for them. This doesn't seem all that different to me, but maybe I'm unusual these days. Who knows.
    Last edited by WhoDo; 07-05-2014 at 2:14pm.

  17. #17
    Ausphotography Regular MissionMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    28 Feb 2012
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    1,620
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhoDo View Post
    I think the simpler solution is for people viewing at work to steer clear of the Formal and Posed forum. Why should posters of acceptable images be REQUIRED to flag them as "Not Suitable" in some way to please a few. Why shouldn't the few just set some simple rules for their own browsing habits at work and leave it at that? Next thing we'll have forum readers complaining about naked animals and wanting the "naughty bits" blurred out!

    Am I being too unreasonable in expecting someone to control their own circumstances rather than expecting me, and others like me, to control things for them? I understand what school teachers have to put up with when parents expect them to do the parenting for them. This doesn't seem all that different to me, but maybe I'm unusual these days. Who knows.
    You are of course assuming that someone like a beginner expects to find nudity in the formal and posed area. I guarantee if you ask a couple of beginners, they will say that they wouldn't expect to find it.

    When I first arrived here, I was surprised to see it. I am not offended by it and I like knowing that we have these kinds of posts where people can look at the beauty of the human body without it being denigrated and I don't believe it needs to be censored, but I was surprised to see it. If I was surprised, it stands to reason that a lot of people may be surprised (and not offended).

    This is not about people expecting the mods to be parents. It's about consideration for those who may not know better. No one is saying that we should ban nudity, it's a simple message to warn someone who is about to access a post that the content they are about to view is not suitable for viewing at work (or on a shared machine like that in an internet cafe or any public location where other people may see you looking at it and be offended).

  18. #18
    Member JJM's Avatar
    Join Date
    10 Jan 2014
    Location
    Ipswich
    Posts
    348
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Perhaps something similar to what I have seen on other forums where the heading i.e. formal and posed has a small disclaimer stating that this area of the forum may contain NSFW images.

    Most other forums I am on enforce either the NSFW tag in the topic heads or have a dedicated area to the forum that sometimes even access is restricted to people over a certain age and applications to see the forum have to be submitted to the mods.

  19. #19
    Administrator ricktas's Avatar
    Join Date
    24 Jun 2007
    Location
    Hobart
    Posts
    15,128
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JJM View Post
    Perhaps something similar to what I have seen on other forums where the heading i.e. formal and posed has a small disclaimer stating that this area of the forum may contain NSFW images.

    Most other forums I am on enforce either the NSFW tag in the topic heads or have a dedicated area to the forum that sometimes even access is restricted to people over a certain age and applications to see the forum have to be submitted to the mods.
    We will not have a restricted forum. One of the main things I wanted for Ausphotography was that EVERY member was equal. No selective areas not available to all, no 'membership fees' for added benefits etc. Every member should be equal and have equal access to all areas of the site.

    However, your first suggestion of a summary under the formal and posed forum header stating that this forum may contain partial nudity could be considered.

  20. #20
    Administrator ricktas's Avatar
    Join Date
    24 Jun 2007
    Location
    Hobart
    Posts
    15,128
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    There is now a notice at the top of the Formal and Posed forum. If you are viewing that forum or a thread in it, the message will be displayed at the top of the screen (in RED). It is up to each member to decide if they should be looking at that forum in the workplace etc.
    Last edited by ricktas; 07-05-2014 at 7:17pm.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •