Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  22
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Photo Contentinal You Are The best

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Photo Contentinal You Are The best

Having problems with the rear wheel on the Olympus E-M1 that I bought 12 weeks ago.

I rang Olympus and they told me to post it to them or take it back to where I bought it, due to the cost of postal Insurance I took it back to where I bought it.
    Was very lucky to get a great Sales Person named Carley who went out of her way to help me, trying out the camera on three lenses in the store on all different settings.
    When shooting Manual it was jumping up to three f/- stops at a time for her too, and when on Auto the WB used to change also, and it would not zoom in for viewing the shot images.

Carley went looking for the Boss as she felt 12-16 weeks ( Turn around for Olympus repairs) was way to long for me to be without this camera even though she knew I had heaps of Canon Gear..
    Asking me if I minding waiting even if it was a while that ok I said, that's a great shop to wait in so many Interesting products there, Carley also showed me lenses for that camera.
    Finally the Boss came and I seen him give her the nod, and Carley came back and told me I am getting a brand new camera..

That's what I like about shopping at a real store, where they not only have a record of everything you have bought in the Store, but also go out of their way to help you.
    It may be a little dearer but that's the way I will always go with my big purchases, of course I buy on line, lens hoods, Memory Cards, Batteries, the little cheaper items.

So a Big Thank You Photo Continental here in Brisbane and especially Carley for all your help yesterday for exchanging my camera in need of repairs for this New Camera.

I shoot with Olympus Cameras.. Sometimes Canon and My iPhone SE 2020

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome to see that great service still exists !!!
    I support my local camera store (there is only one in Orange lol), I was there last week buying a Vanguard Case to put all my gear in, and when I gave the owner Ric my EFT card I said, you would know my PIN by now lol to which he replied...I should !!

Kudos to your store for awesome service !!!!
    I choose to capture my images with bodies
    I share my love using Canon & Sigma
    ** SUE **

Loves The Wildlife.
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank You for looking and commenting Sue Yes isn't it good that great Service still exist
    And I believe in supporting my Local Camera and Computer Store who also give me good service and lots of Help.
    They all get to know you and that Helps at times like this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good To hear you got a good result Mary Anne,
    Now go and give the new camera a good workout to make sure it's not a dud too
    Cheers
    Regards

David

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mary Anne View Post
    H.....

That's what I like about shopping at a real store ......
    Ditto!

Same here and why I only selectively use online shopping.
    I'd love to use real stores for some of the periphery items I also get from time to time, but sometimes those are a bit too over priced to consider.

A few days back a thread rejigged my memory to acquire more battery capacity for my D800, and whilst in at Vanbar(I'd rate at least 9/10 for service for now) they're at least 3x the price, and more like 4x .. for aftermarket stuff.
    as an example, an aftermarket battery costs about $55, which I'd probably pay were it not for the fact that I could get two batteries for less than half that price elsewhere.
    If Vanbar had them for more like $30ea, I wouldn't hesitate for a second and I would have got them while I was there getting my other stuff.

I try to support these real shops where I can, and I was there a short while back getting my new grad filters. Bloody expensive stuff these 150mm versions, but I didn't mind paying the extra $30 a pop for them.

So in effect I'm the same when it comes to small cheapish tidbits too.
    If these real shops would just learn how the market works(in reality) I wouldn't bother ordering any of this kind of stuff online.
    Instead, they seem to be trying to make up for some profit margin shortfalls in hiking up consumable goods(batteries/filters/memory cards/etc are consumable goods) possibly to offset lower profits on higher priced goods

My theory is that it's the wrong tactic .. this is where they need competitive pricing to get customers back into their doors again on a regular basis.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Loves The Wildlife.
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by davsv1 View Post
    Good To hear you got a good result Mary Anne,
    Now go and give the new camera a good workout to make sure it's not a dud too
    Cheers
    Thank You David.. A lot of learning again I have taken a couple of pics on Auto they look good and about 20 on Manual not doing too good there yet.
    I need some quite time as I have to start off from scratch setting the time first and going through all those other things again, not today, though I will get there eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by arthurking83 View Post
    Ditto!

So in effect I'm the same when it comes to small cheapish tidbits too.
    If these real shops would just learn how the market works(in reality) I wouldn't bother ordering any of this kind of stuff online.
    Instead, they seem to be trying to make up for some profit margin shortfalls in hiking up consumable goods(batteries/filters/memory cards/etc are consumable goods) possibly to offset lower profits on higher priced goods

My theory is that it's the wrong tactic .. this is where they need competitive pricing to get customers back into their doors again on a regular basis.
    Arthur I totally agree with you, their batteries and Memory cards should not be double and more the price you can get on line, any wonder we shop elsewhere for those.
    Maybe it will sink in one day
    Last edited by Mary Anne; 01-05-2014 at 5:07pm.

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Good story.
    Wish I had a choice. hardly normal are the only place that have any photography gear here. They refuse to be competitive 'cause there's no one to compete with. They're probably not making much money from cameras compared to the vast array of other stuff they sell, so why not give me a good deal?
    We have bought other things from them at a bit of a premium. Same as you, like the comfort of going straight back to them if something goes wrong.
    Recently bought a grill/convection/microwave oven from them by comparing a deal we could get 170km's away. $360 instead of $899 R.R.P. (not that anyone ever pays that).
    So why not give me a good deal on photography gear?

Loves The Wildlife.
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Mark.. I felt it was my lucky day.
    Sorry to read you don't have a choice, or get a good deal in the photography part of that Store I have not been in one of his Stores for years.
    Have you asked for a better deal, sometimes it works, they may match a price from an on line store, you never know your luck.

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Always good to know where you can get good service.
    Odille

“Can't keep my eyes from the circling sky”

My Blog | Canon 1DsMkII | 60D | Tokina 20-35mm f/2.8 AF AT-X PRO | EF50mm f/1.8| Sigma 150-500mm F5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM | Fujifilm X-T1 & X-M1 | Fujinon XC 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OIS | Fujinon XC 50-230mm F3.5-5.6 OIS | Fujinon XF 18-55mm F2.8-4R LM OIS | tripods, flashes, filters etc ||

Loves The Wildlife.
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank Odille, Yes you cant beat the brick and mortar shops for Service.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some of them anyway......

PC is a great store UNLESS you want to have a look but not buy anything - it's almost not possible
    Gear: Panasonic Lumix FZ200 / Huawei Mate 20 / LR 5, PSE 12, Da Vinci resolve

"I may be crazy, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong."

Member formerly known as : Lplates Glenda's Avatar
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is where living in a city has it all over living in a regional area. I always prefer to buy locally but unfortunately here our local camera store leaves a LOT to be desired and the only other alternatives are the chains like Harvey Norman and Dick Smith. Doubt it will improve either as cost/convenience of online shopping makes it increasingly difficult for the smaller owner operated stores to compete.
    Glenda

Loves The Wildlife.
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know what you mean Lplates, and it does not help where there is no competition.
    And when stores like Harvey Norman and Dick Smith charge twice the price for small things like Batteries & Memory Cards its any wonder people buy on line.
    Postage is cheaper than time and the cost of petrol these days.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I went there in Thursday night to pickup a camera bag. The one I wanted wasn't in stock but I must agree with the service and friendliness of the staff being top notch.
    Using Tapatalk

Loves The Wildlife.
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its good to hear this, they certainly are a great Store.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great to read such a positive story, Mary Anne.

I too have a favourite camera shop, although it is almost 3 hours away from where I live (there is nothing locally). I always get great service from them, they know what gear I have and what skill level I am at. I know I can rely on their advice when I have questions, or if I am looking at something new (partly because a family friend works there). Should the worst happen, they also provide great support. More of them know me now than when I first started going in there and they always give me as much time as I need - they know I'm a genuine customer and am not wasting their time. As far as I'm concerned, that is something well worth having, something I would never get without the personal contact.

Loves The Wildlife.
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And Thank You for taking the time to let us know about your experiences with your favourite Camera Shop, nothing better than personal contact.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have to agree with Mary Anne,I have always received excellent service from PC and it`s staff,they will always go out of their way to meet your needs,that`s why I always go back there.
    Last edited by kevinj; 13-05-2014 at 5:45am.
    Kev.
    C+C and Edits Welcome,just tell me what you did.
    Canon 50D,EF-S17-85mm,EF100mm F2.8 Macro,MT-24EX Flash.
    Sigma 150-500mm f5.6-6.3 DG.
    Photoshop Elements 7

Loves The Wildlife.
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank You Kevin.. They are indeed a great store and will certainly keep getting my custom.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Warning: Members with < 50 posts and 30 days membership cannot comment on commercial situations

Refer to the site rules
    Last edited by Kym; 14-05-2014 at 1:13pm.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast