Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  2

Thread: printing info sought

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

printing info sought

a friend of mine wants a print of 1 of my recent images
    the question for me is, that since i will be sending the image on a flash drive how do edit the image so that the colours reproduce correctly?
    my understanding is that colours become more saturated/darker when printed.
    i assume that the surface the image is printed on will affect the accuracy of colour rendering
    should i send her an image that is slightly brighter. she will be getting it printed commercially, so i also assume screen and printer are calibrated correctly.
    cc and enjoy

Photography is painting with light

K1, Pentax 18-250mm zoom, Pentax 100mm macro, Sigma 50-500mm, Pentax 28-105mm
    Velbon Sherpa tripod Photoshop CS6

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When you edit the photo on your 'puter and have the final jpeg ready to print it should end up looking the same as on your screen ---- IF -----

1. Your 'puter and monitor are calibrated to match the settings that the commercial printing business use. Check with the printer to see what they require.

2. Your brightness levels are set properly, that is probably the hardest part to know when getting prints done as calibrators mostly work on getting colours correct and don't take viewing light levels into account as well as they could.

3. You use a reputable commercial print establishment, Hardly Normal and places like Rabbit photo are not what I would call reputable.

Why are you sending it on a flash drive? Despite the medium that it is sent on the file should remain the same.

I would suggest that you directly upload it over the 'net to a place such as RGB digital and have them deliver it direct to your friend.
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Go the Rabbitohs
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks for your info Andrew.
    i had not thought about getting done the way you suggested. problems are i don't know what she wants to print it on, or how large she wants it.
    cheers

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudman View Post
    ... problems are i don't know what she wants to print it on, or how large she wants it.
    So ask her.
    Then you can adjust the photo. Whether you do it as Andrew suggested (preferred option for quality result) or give her the file to do herself at least you'll have a better idea.