User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Camera bag as carry on bag, options?

Ausphotography Regular Brian500au's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In my own experience all airlines treat carry on slightly different. At times I have been asked to weigh my carry on (and get it tagged) at check in, at other times (especially in Melbourne) when I have gone into passport control area. Other times it has never been checked - although one time they were checking size as we were boarding and those too big were asked to leave them to be checked in. This particularly happens on smaller connecting flights.

I have always slung a body and lens over my shoulder (and given the second body and lens to my wife if necessary). I have carried my laptop in either a second bag or once again just carried it through until I am at the gate. When I am inside the plane I put everything back in my carry on bag and stow it away. Now I only carry a lowepro 200 slingshot but it easily carries three lenses and a body.

Do not put anything valuable in your check on - apart from the chance of getting stolen your baggage could get lost. I speak from experience.
    www.kjbphotography.com.au

1DxII, EOS R, 200-400 f4L Ext, 100-400 f4.5-5.6L II, 70-200 F4IS, 24-70 F2.8 II, 16-35 F4IS

Member formerly known as : Lplates Glenda's Avatar
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Did they have any issues with that?"
    None whatsoever.
    Glenda

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can't offer any advice on what brand/style bag to think about getting but please consider the weight/size restrictions for ALL of the airlines that you will be using to get to/from your destination. Maybe also consider future trips as well?
    Enjoy Botswana!
    5D MkII Gripped | EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II | EF 24-70mm f/2.8L | EF 50mm f/1.4 USM | EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM | EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro | Extender 2x II | 580EX II & 430EX II Speedlites
    Wanted: The list is long.......so very long........(sighs)
    Oldies but still goodies: AE-1+Program | FD 28mm f/2.8 | FD 50mm f/1.4 | FD 70-210 f/4

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian500au View Post
    In my own experience all airlines treat carry on slightly different. At times I have been asked to weigh my carry on (and get it tagged) at check in, at other times (especially in Melbourne) when I have gone into passport control area. Other times it has never been checked - although one time they were checking size as we were boarding and those too big were asked to leave them to be checked in. This particularly happens on smaller connecting flights.

I have always slung a body and lens over my shoulder (and given the second body and lens to my wife if necessary). I have carried my laptop in either a second bag or once again just carried it through until I am at the gate. When I am inside the plane I put everything back in my carry on bag and stow it away. Now I only carry a lowepro 200 slingshot but it easily carries three lenses and a body.

Do not put anything valuable in your check on - apart from the chance of getting stolen your baggage could get lost. I speak from experience.
    Unfortunately there is just no way I can get around not putting some valuable gear, like tripod & head and other stuff in the checked bag. I think I'll keep a few batteries out now though and one charger. 4 batts and one charger will keep the 7d and 5d running for the trip if the checked bag goes missing.

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Morgo View Post
    Hello,

I was wondering what people here have used camera bag wise as a carry on bag when flying international?
    An upcoming trip has me wanting a good size camera bag that needs to fit the carry on bag requirements, Qantas, while still carrying a good amount of gear.
    Just thought I would post my solution.
    It contains a tripod, remote shutter release, 2 extra batteries, 6 SD cards, a netbook 'puter thingy, 4 pairs of shorts, 4 T shirts, "toiletries", a pair of sandals, battery chargers for the phone, camera and netbook as well as the requisite international plug adaptor, paperwork and other minor goodies.

Well within carry on size limits, weighs a tad under 9kg, cost $15.00, has survived 3 trips and is packed for another trip in 10 days time.

The camera fits in my pocket.
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Account Closed at member's request
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Morgo View Post
    Unfortunately there is just no way I can get around not putting some valuable gear, like tripod & head and other stuff in the checked bag. I think I'll keep a few batteries out now though and one charger. 4 batts and one charger will keep the 7d and 5d running for the trip if the checked bag goes missing.
    Tripod is fine. It's what baggage handlers can hide in their clothing or perceive as valuable. Most would consider electronic items valuable. You may not be allowed to check batteries depending on what they are.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We are going to South Africa in August and I am taking two cameras with me. One camera will have a 100-400 lens attached, but the other will probably have a 17-35 lens as some of the animals in Kruger on our last trip were so close to the road that the 100-400 couldn't get the whole animal in the frame. I have an old roll along bag that I will be taking and it will probably be a couple of kilos overweight for carry on with Qantas. Did you know that you can buy more weight from Qantas cheaper than what you would be charged at the airport? I was told this when I was speaking to someone at Qantas and also found it on their Frequent Flyer site. You can also pay for it with your Frequent Flyer points. I will probably ring them in a few weeks (after I weigh my bag with everything packed).

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by crafty1tutu View Post
    We are going to South Africa in August and I am taking two cameras with me. One camera will have a 100-400 lens attached, but the other will probably have a 17-35 lens as some of the animals in Kruger on our last trip were so close to the road that the 100-400 couldn't get the whole animal in the frame. I have an old roll along bag that I will be taking and it will probably be a couple of kilos overweight for carry on with Qantas. Did you know that you can buy more weight from Qantas cheaper than what you would be charged at the airport? I was told this when I was speaking to someone at Qantas and also found it on their Frequent Flyer site. You can also pay for it with your Frequent Flyer points. I will probably ring them in a few weeks (after I weigh my bag with everything packed).
    I'd double check this info. From what I have seen on the Qantas site its over $280 from memory for just 5kg, no mention that this is carry on and I highly suspect its checked bags only. It also does not mention if its return so would appear to be 1 way.
    So $560 for just 5kg is a bit steep IMO.

- - - Updated - - -
    http://www.qantas.com.au/travel/airl...gage-allowance
    Last edited by Morgo; 07-05-2014 at 7:35pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have used a Lowepro Fastpack 250 for many years and have never been questioned about it on either international or local flights. - Just asked to remove my MacBook Pro from the bag before sending it through the x-ray machines.
    Cheers

Larry
    _______________________________________________________________________________________________________
    Canon EOS 6D | EF 24-70mm 1:2.8 L II USM | EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM | EF 100-400 1:4.5-5.6 L IS | Speedlight 600EX-RT
    Olympus OM-D E-M1 | Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mk II | Olympus M.Zuiko DIGITAL 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO | Olympus M.Zuiko DIGITAL 12-100mm f/4 IS PRO | Olympus M.Zuiko DIGITAL 7-14mm f/2.8 PRO | Panasonic LUMIX G Leica DG Vario-Elmar 100-400mm F4.0-6.3 ASPH | Misc 4/3 lenses

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheers everyone, at this point I think I'm going to go with a Gura Gear Bataflae 32L.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have been looking at Fastpack 250 or even 350 of late. My flipside 15l is getting a bit small.
    Ouch, I just looked at B&H on the price of that Gura Gear. Lot of money for a bag.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been using a Fastpack 350 for about 4 years now and it’s a great travel pack. I used an indelible marker to black out the Lowpro logo so that it’s not instantly recognisable as a camera bag.

It suits my travel purposes due to its ability to take a full size laptop, DSLR camera and lenses/accessories, travel documents, a drink and still able to fit under the seat in front of me in an aircraft if the overheads are full.

At first I thought the tapered top portion of the pack only reduced the volume of the pack but it causes the pack to wedge in nicely in overheads or provide a foot rest on some older aircraft that have restricted under-seat capacity.
    Last edited by brownie; 09-05-2014 at 9:00pm.
    Nikon D90, 18-200VR II, Tokina 100mm Macro, Sigma 150-500, Nikkor 35mm, Giotto Rocket Air Blower

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I still haven't checked the weight of my bag, but I think I had better do so and see what Qantas says. I may have to wear my camera and lens around my neck LOL. I just checked the Qantas site and you have to buy excess baggage in 5 KG lots at a cost of $70 per 5 KG. Mine would only be 1 or 2 at the most, so I might put a couple of my lenses in my shootsac which I use as a handbag when travelling.
    Last edited by crafty1tutu; 10-05-2014 at 3:33pm.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by crafty1tutu View Post
    I still haven't checked the weight of my bag, but I think I had better do so and see what Qantas says. I may have to wear my camera and lens around my neck LOL. I just checked the Qantas site and you have to buy excess baggage in 5 KG lots at a cost of $70 per 5 KG. Mine would only be 1 or 2 at the most, so I might put a couple of my lenses in my shootsac which I use as a handbag when travelling.
    You need to look down a little further on the Qantas site, its $280 for 5kg when traveling to south Africa, which is likely to be paid both ways and probably only applies to checked bags. The $70 is only for a short trip like to New Zealand.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by billy4030 View Post
    Have been looking at Fastpack 250 or even 350 of late. My flipside 15l is getting a bit small.
    Ouch, I just looked at B&H on the price of that Gura Gear. Lot of money for a bag.
    Yeah its a little pricey but said to be very good, plus its light weight for the amount it allows.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for letting me know. We have solved the situation - my hubby wasn't going to take a carry on bag at first, but is now going to do so with some of my gear in it - problem solved. I also read the comment about carrying a camera and lens over your shoulder and I might do that as I like to take photos out of the plane when taking off and landing.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12