User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  5

Thread: Etiquette around ANZAC day dawn service photography?

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Etiquette around ANZAC day dawn service photography?

First, yes or no?

If yes obviously don't use flash so would boost iso, but how far?
    (No tripod)
    Gear: Panasonic Lumix FZ200 / Huawei Mate 20 / LR 5, PSE 12, Da Vinci resolve

"I may be crazy, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong."

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    NO flash, keep out of the way. Use tripod as long as you are away from where people could trip over it (use a longer lens to get in closer)

Be part of the service, spend some time showing respect, etc, not just taking photos.

As for how far to boost ISO, that is gear dependent. What ISO you can get to without compromising to much quality, depends on your gear. For example, I would go 800-1600 with the D800, but could go to 6400 with the D3. Bigger pixel sites on the D3 (12mp) compared to the D800 (38mp) means the D3 can allow more lenience. However the D800 certainly can hold its own, due to other tech improvements over the D3, and I have pushed the ISO up to 6400 on the D800 and been OK. without a lot of issues. But ISO peak is really dependent on your gear

Be mindful of other photographers, don't setup in front of someone else just cause you want 'that' angle. If you want the best spot, get there early.

After/before the service, if you want to take some portraits, close-up, just ask first. It is polite, not a rule. You could use flash here (again I tend to ask)
    Last edited by ricktas; 24-04-2014 at 9:55am.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheers. I always go to the Dawn service to pay my respects and reflect on sacrifice, not to photograph. Just thought a couple of pics might be good though.

I have a Lumix FZ200 so small sensor. I dont have a practical tripod to use so any images will have to be handheld.
    It is a zoom camera with f2.8 available across the range.

I guess I need to know a few things like what is the minimum shutter speed I'd need to eliminate (minimize) movement, tghat way I can work on apeture and ISO.

Manually set ISO or use shutter priorty or aperture priorty (and set to 2.8) be the better option?

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    human movement and shutter speed is relative to how fast/much the human is moving. There is no 'set your camera to these settings and you will be perfect', answer.

Have you used high ISO on your camera before? and how far could you go before the resultant noise over-rode the result?

This is where learning about your gear, before 'the big day' is something photographers everywhere should do. When I get a new camera, one of the first things I do is test its limitations with ISO etc. so that I know how far i can push it when I want to. It will be really hard for anyone, unless they own the same camera, and have done some limitation testing, to advise on settings for your circumstances tomorrow morning.

My best advise is to go out after dark tonight and start upping the ISO, in steps, take photos, use different shutter speeds and find the sweet spot for photos in darker light, that freeze movement as much as possible, but are not so high in the ISO range that the image degradation overpowers the image itself. get these shots on your computer and decide how high you are willing to take the ISO. then you have a starting point, from that you need to choose aperture and shutter speed for the results you want in that regard.
    Last edited by ricktas; 24-04-2014 at 12:31pm.

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ta. I suspect that given the small sensor pushing the ISO too high will lead to excessive graininess.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ive been in the catafalque parties before on dawn service back in the Army, hate it whenever theres a flash during the solemn ceremony from someone in the crowd, especially during readings.
    Commercial/Editorial/Wedding work - www.jackietranphoto.com
    Travel Photography - www.wanderingasianguy.com

Broncolor lights up my world.

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No flash, it is tacky.
    What Rick said sums it up.
    regards, Kym Gallery Honest & Direct Constructive Critique Appreciated! ©
    Digital & film, Bits of glass covering 10mm to 500mm, and other stuff

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love ANZAC parades! I go in every year for the march past because there are so many interesting faces marching along, and they all love to be stars for the day! It's the one day I feel comfortable taking photos of anyone and anything that moves - close ups of people - the lot, but not of course at the dawn service (mainly because I'm still asleep!)

"If you want to be a better photographer, stand in front of more interesting stuff.” — Jim Richardson

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by landyvlad View Post
    Ta. I suspect that given the small sensor pushing the ISO too high will lead to excessive graininess.
    That grain may add character to the right face/photo?

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK so I went to the Dawn Service and ended up leaving the camera in the car.

Plenty of other people taking photos though with everything from dSLR's to mobile phones, And all using flash.
    And as if that isn't insensitive enough what's with

- coming to the service on your bicycle,wearing lycra, and not even bothering to get off it but just lean against a post;
    - bringing dogs to the service - heaps of those
    - talking during the service
    - playing on mobile phones / constant texting.

So many people seem to think that going there is what's important, rather than paying respect to the dead and the fortunate returned.

/ rant over.

Enjoy your ANZAC Day and a big thanks to any current and former servicemen and women here on the forum.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark L View Post
    That grain may add character to the right face/photo?
    We need to remember that noise and grain aren't the same and don't look the same. But you're better off getting a noisy shot than a blurry one - at least you can remove noise (though if you play around with adding film grain, I wonder if that helps improve the look of a high ISO shot? Never tried it)

Mirrorless cameras are great for this sort of thing, IMO. Silence is golden.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by landyvlad View Post
    OK so I went to the Dawn Service and ended up leaving the camera in the car.

Plenty of other people taking photos though with everything from dSLR's to mobile phones, And all using flash.
    And as if that isn't insensitive enough what's with

- coming to the service on your bicycle,wearing lycra, and not even bothering to get off it but just lean against a post;
    - bringing dogs to the service - heaps of those
    - talking during the service
    - playing on mobile phones / constant texting.

So many people seem to think that going there is what's important, rather than paying respect to the dead and the fortunate returned.

/ rant over.

Enjoy your ANZAC Day and a big thanks to any current and former servicemen and women here on the forum.
    I don't think riding a push bike in lycra is a big deal in anyway, but siting and leaning against a post, well that is a little rude.
    Bringing dogs isn't a bad thing, especially if you think about the fact that everyone remembers the fallen and returned servicemen/women, but dogs are also employed and used on the front line, so why shouldn't they be allowed to attend a service? One of the Army units here in Brisbane, has a dog as there mascot.
    Talking during the service, well that just deserves a punch in the face and so does playing on your phone.

I served 12 years for my country, and to have people come to a dawn service and sit/stand there and listen and pay respect is great, I couldn't care less what they are wearing (within reason of course). I myself and many other ex-serving members, always wear a suit and look respectable. By no means am I trying to cause an argument with you "landyvlad" just pointing out that people who served have different views on what most civilian people do, and I am no different. I personally feel that if you don't attend a Dawn Service or a march in your local town on ANZAC Day, then you don't deserve the public holiday, but that is a different point all together.

Anyway, I do hope the majority of you got out there today and supported all those that have been involved in defending our great country, and listened to the old diggers stories if they were willing to tell them.

LEST WE FORGET
    70D, 6D, 50mm, 85mm and 17-40mm. Lee Filters and Manfrotto Tripod
    Website
    Flickr

The Commander
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agree with the need for respect at a service. I shot at the morning service today in our little town of Lowood. Had the flash on but didn't use it. Put the camera down on a empty chair during the ode, pray, names of the fallen etc parts of the ceremony where done.
    It meant some key component shots were missed such as the honor guard salute etc but as an old ex-serviceman I feel quite strongly about such things.

Regardless, I still got some shots to cover the gist of the ceremony and the RSL President was keen to get them so he could send them to the local newspaper etc.

Last yr at the dawn service I was astounded the number pf photograpers there taking flash shots in the dim morning light during the reading of the ode etc - I found it very disrespectful.

Having said that, these events are important and will form part of history so should be recorded I think but a line needs to be drawn as to where the shot is appropriate or isn't appropriate.
    Last edited by mikew09; 25-04-2014 at 8:47pm.
    Please be honest with your Critique of my images. I may not always agree, but I will not be offended - CC assists my learning and is always appreciate

https://mikeathome.smugmug.com/

Canon 5D3 - Gripped, EF 70-200 L IS 2.8 MkII, , 24-105 L 4 IS MkI, 580 EX II Speedlite, 2x 430 Ex II Speedlite

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thaks mate, yeah it was more about the not being bothered to get off the bike...

I think there are as many different views on these things as there are diggers, thanks for your take.

I agree about the holiday being a privilege and not a right as well.

Punch in the face? You could call it therapy !