User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  3

Thread: WHO uses COMPACT Travel Zoom cameras

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

WHO uses COMPACT Travel Zoom cameras

The forums seem pretty short on talk and ownership of this type of camera. I am referring not to simple point and shoot gear, but higher end units which have manual alternatives, and reasonable definition, shoot RAW etc. On this topic I think the last thread was about 3 years ago. I am wondering how many members use such, even as a travel or second camera. Perhaps we do not mention them because of a cringe factor. I have seen images from my son's entry level big brand name DSLR ( 3yrs ago)with entry level lenses. We were both disappointed. My CTZ produces better images than it with more convenience. I am looking to research The top end performers in this CTZ category for my next camera. I believe that it is time for other CTZ owners to join me and "come out".

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've recently started using a Sony RX100M2 and am more than happy with the results. It has resolution fairly close to a Canon 5D2 but with virtually no weight and tiny package that fits in a shirt pocket. It's not a replacement for a high end DSLR but it's quite close, IMHO.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    just got the Fuji X-E1 and 18-55 kit zoom. So far very impressed with it overall despite many ideosynchesies...but the iso performance...fantastic. Off to Spain and Portuhal this Friday so looking forward to travelling light for a change. Not quite pocketable however....
    Graeme
    "May the good Lord look down and smile upon your face"......Norman Gunston___________________________________________________
    Nikon: D7000, D80, 12-24 f4, 17-55 f2.8, 18-135, 70-300VR, 35f2, SB 400, SB 600, TC-201 2x converter. Tamron: 90 macro 2.8 Kenko ext. tubes. Photoshop CS2.

Ausphotography Addict
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In reply to this thread, I have just noticed the forum Mirrorless & Non DSLR. Maybe this will provide a wealth of information. A quick look says that I will need a catalog of models to assimilate the Info, to do my research. Thanks AP.

Ausphotography Regular richardb's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bought a Canon M mirrorless cam last Dec. Not bad, rather tiny, no easy grip, but give good pictures.
    Interesting detail is the price: 50% discount and €50 cash back.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought the Sony RX100 M1 and I'm relatively happy with it. In low light it's a bit noisier than I expected because it had rave reviews everywhere but the photos are definitely workable in Photoshop. In good conditions though it's great.

I love the size and weight but it would never replace my Sony Nex 6 - or whatever camera I have with an interchangeable lens.
    Carole

Canon 550D|Canon 15-85mm|Canon 70-300mm|Canon 100mm f2.8 macro|50mm f1.8 II|
    Sony NEX 6|Sony 16-50mm| Sony 55-210mm|Sony RX100
    www.carolelloydphotography.com

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Am I allowed to answer the question here because my choice of travel / 2nd, 3rd, 4th camera doesn't "zoom" or have an interchangeable lens system?

It does however have full manual control, no "scene modes" on the dials, offers extremely good quality raw images and fits in large pockets easily.

Cringe factor and coming out are the least of my worries because I enjoy using the technology we are offered and most importantly I am happy with the images.
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looking forward to your research results. I'm seriously thinking about a high end compact for my next trip. That said however, I do like the optical viewfinder or an EVF, which on the smaller models is hard to find.

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not I, either, for as Andrew said, my 2nd travel camera is also fixed lens.
    CC, Image editing OK.