User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  51
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art priced to kill everything, including OTUS!

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art priced to kill everything, including OTUS!

The pricing is finally revealed. Get in line for those interested in a high quality, fast prime for under $1k.

http://petapixel.com/2014/04/11/sigm...s/#more-133489
    Waz
    Be who you are and say what you mean, because those who matter don't mind don't matter and those who mind don't matter - Dr. Seuss...
    D700 x 2 | Nikkor AF 50 f/1.8D | Nikkor AF 85 f/1.8D | Optex OPM2930 tripod/monopod | Enthusiasm ...

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmm .. It's a wee bit more than I would have liked.

... but then again I'm a total cheapskate and usually want stuff for less than it could be worth!

Actually, if the performance is as good as they say(SLRGear that is, not Sigma themselves) .. then $1K is probably a half decent price .. even tho you could get a Nikon/Canon/etc equivalent lens for less than half that.
    I'm still tempted to buy in(again) tho.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess, if it performs as well as the 4,000$ Zeiss, then the price is truly remarkable...
    I am, however a practical photographer. If i need a sophisticated optical equipment to tell a difference between the 4000$ lens and the 50mm f1.4, of the common variety, then I really don't see the point of getting the expensive one.

Some suggest that Zeiss may now have to rethink their pricing policy... I disagree.
    People who pay $4000 for a 50mm lens dont buy it because they need it, they buy it because they can.

I am suspecting that Sigma may actually find it more difficult to find buyers.
    Most of those who live off photography will still choose a 400$ canon/nikon and those who can afford a 4000$ Zeiss will never buy a Sigma.
    “Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst" – Henri Cartier-Bresson
    **Commercial Link Removed by Admin**

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I don't have a 50mm but have a 35mm and since I have the 24 - 70 F/2.8 would I really want it. On a crop format makes the FOV approx. 75mm which does fall into the portrait length and F/1.4 could be handy but at that price I'd probably consider the 85mm F/1.4.
    So I don't think I would bother with it.
    Nikon, D750, D5000, 35mm f/1.8, 18-55mm & 55-200mm kit lens,
    Nikon 24-70mm f/2.8, Sigma 120-400mm, Sigma 150-600S, SB-910, Metz mecablitz 58 AF-2
    Manfrotto 680B Mono + 234RC tilt, 055XPROB + 804RC2.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmm.. $950USD... tempting.
    I'm a sucker for great optics even if the focal length proves to be less useful for me.
    I have a 150mm equiv that's not an easy FL to work with but time and time again I go back to the lens cos of the images produced.
    Maybe this lens will make me like the 50mm FL again.
    Nikon FX + m43
    davophoto.wordpress.com

Photo Bizarro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CandidTown View Post
    Most of those who live off photography will still choose a 400$ canon/nikon and those who can afford a 4000$ Zeiss will never buy a Sigma.
    I was wondering this same thing.
    My name is John.
    www.jrfraser.com

Account Closed at member's request
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You guys are missing one simple thing about the Zeiss. No autofocus. Given the number of amateur photographers that buy the 24-70 f/2.8, what makes you think they won't buy a $1000 50mm? I would. In fact, I'd happily buy a $2000 85 f1.4 Sigma ART if it was better than the Nikon 1.4, but I wouldn't spend $4000 on a Zeiss but I think it's exorbitant and the lack of autofocus is a killer for me. Try chasing a child with manual focus. I also don't think I'm an unusual buyer.

D750 Shines
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @ $US949 sounds good but in end terms here in Oz ,whats to be expected in price could be up to 50% mark up

Nikon D750,D500,Z6,Coolpix P7700
    Nikkor 300mm f/4E PF ED VR, Nikkor 16-35mm f/4 VR, Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8, Tokina 100mm f/2.8, Tamron 60mm f/2 , Tamron SP 24-70mm f2.8 VC Di, Nikon Z 24-70mm f/4
    FTZ adapator
    Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've just pre-orderd one from an Australian supplier at $950 so no price surprises. I bought the 35 1.4 Art & was stunned at its image quality & reports are this lens will be as good or better & for 60% of the price of a Canon 50 1.2L.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm still finding it hard to think of a Sigma lens as a product you'd buy because you wanted one rather than because you could afford one and you thought it might be nearly good enough. Given the consistent good reports of their 35/1.4, however, it seems that the leopard really has changed his spots, and we have to take Sigma seriously now.

The other thing that this points out is the woeful inaction on the part of Canon which has made this possible. (Possibly also Nikon - I don't follow the Nikor offerings, so I can't say if their recent-decade action has been as useless as Canon's or not.) For a ridiculously long time now, Canon have offered a mega-cheap plastic toy lens (50/1.8) which is much better than anyone has any right to expect but a cheap plastic toy lens nevertheless. Ignore that one. Secondly, Canon has an ancient 50/1.4 which is quite reasonably priced and has pretty good optical qualities but is nevertheless low-tech and low-sec - it doesn't even have a proper ring USM focus mechanism, surely a must in this sort of product. Finally, they have produced two absurdly expensive fast 50mm lenses, a 50/1.0 and then the current 50/1.2. The latter is hugely expensive and has very odd auto-focus issues which, in any cheaper lens, would be regarded as a deal-breaking design flaw. At this price, however, you are apparently supposed to regard it as a charming idiosyncrasy instead of an infuriating mistake.

For around ten years this unsatisfactory situation has been allowed to fester. All Canon had to do was make a new 50/1.4L: a modern, properly-specced standard lens for the keen photographer. But no, they are only interested is video wenkary, and photographers have been simply ignored. Fine: if Canon won't listen to its customers, we will all start buying Sigma lenses.

Well done, Sigma! I wish your new lens all the success it deserves.
    Last edited by Tannin; 12-04-2014 at 6:39pm.
    Tony

It's a poor sort of memory that only works backwards.

Ausphotography Addict
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tannin View Post
    Well done, Sigma! I wish your new lens all the success it deserves.
    Not to mention the useful docking system that makes it so much simpler to keep your glass at or near its best without sending it back! Another great idea, Sigma!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pre ordered mine the other day, seriously cant wait for it.. Already own the 35mm Art and know how tack sharp it is, so the new 50mm is going to be amazing..

Need to get a docking station now hehe.
    Photographer & Retoucher at L'Obsession Secrète

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some talk of this being an Otus eater!

According to DxO and DPR, it's not far off .. or in fact it is(in some ways).

The DxO link is to a three way between the Art, the older Sigma 50/1.4 and the Otus.
    DxO seem to think that the Otus is sharper all round .....

Yet, DPR's comparison shows that the Sigma is sharper in the centre wide open at f/1.4.
    DxO also says that the Otus is more consistently sharper across the frame, yet DPR's results show the opposite as the lens is stopped down a click or two(f/2.8 - f/4) and at about f/5.6 it's too hard to distinguish any difference between the two.

Nice one Sigma!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^ Probably the differences are because Dx0 is carp.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tannin View Post
    ^ Probably the differences are because Dx0 is carp.

For a more visual(albeit limited to test chart) reference/comparative, The Digital Picture has image references for both lenses captured via some 135 format Canon camera.
    Otus definitely looks sharper from the get go, but if you're pixel peeping such minuscule differences anyhow .. you shouldn't be using such a small format to begin with!

One thing is for certain irrespective of whether the Sigma is an Otus (b)eater!
    Even if it's not, it's bloody close enough to it, and has AF and cost less than 1/4 the price ... I'd say that is extremely high quality 50mm images @ f/1.4 are your priority in life, at twice the price of the Nikon eqivalent, and less than Canon's f/1.2 model .. this lens is nigh on spot on.

Actually one of the aspects that interests me more about this lens than just it's ability to render detail .. is the USB dock and the Optimization Pro software that allows you to tweak AF as you may wish too(if it's causing any issue).

I have the older Sigma 50/1.4, and while it's not a priority for me to update/change to the newer version, if I do, it'll be mainly due to the way that my version of the lens can misfocus more so at closer distances(more likely on the larger frame camera!) .. whereas at longer focus distances it's pretty much spot on.
    So if I set AF fine tune to account for closer distances, it loses a bit at longer distances.

But knowing my luck, if I got this new lens + USB dock, the lens will focus perfectly at any focus distance .. all the time!
    (and all my other lenses will subsequently all misfocus just to rub it in!)

On a side note: if Sigma ever offered a service option to allow installation of these modern chip types in older lenses, I'd do it immediately on my 50.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also have the 35mm and have already asked at a few local stores to see if I can preorder - but not as such - so will have to preorder online. Am really looking forward to it!
    D800 Nikon 70-200 VR II, Nikon 105 2.8, Nikon 24-120 f4,
    Sigma 85mm 1.4, Sigma 50mm 1.4, Sigma 35mm 1.4 DG HSM

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So I've just got the USB dock for Sigma & had bit of a play. On the 35 all I needed to do was move focus back at the 600mm range maybe 5mm which is proof that the initial factory settings are close to spot on straight out of the box. Infinity is hard to judge as the monitor resolution at 100% gets too pixelated to really chase any adjustments & I don't think it needs anything anyway. Going forward if I get any of the zooms the possibility are limitless.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Being the owner of Zeiss lens I want to contribute to this post. First of all Zeiss lens are not for all and still depends on how you shoot. If you are using a tripod and using live view on a stationary subject the Zeiss lens can be used for its quality and great color rendering etc but like someone said if you are chasing children you will miss the focus even though you have electronic confirmation in the viewfinder. Using the DOF scale on the lens again is tricky with children. I like using Zeiss lens for portraits when the subject is stationary and I can use live view for critical focus.
    Dwarak Calayampundi

Canon 5D Mark II, 7 D Lens Canon 24-105mm L Canon 16-35mm II L Canon 100mm Sigma 10-20mm Canon 50mm 1.8
    http://www.wix.com/dwarak/landscapes

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwarak View Post
    Being the owner of Zeiss lens I want to contribute to this post. First of all Zeiss lens are not for all and still depends on how you shoot.
    Got to agree with you!

Most people after consistently great image quality from a fast prime are going to head straight to the one with excellent resolution, good colours and autofocus.

Seems to be where the Sigma line is heading to be king of the pile at the moment -----
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rumour has a new Sigma 24/1.4 Art lens on the horizon as well.....They are on a roll.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using Tapatalk 2
    Matt
    CC always appreciated

My Website
    A Blog of sorts

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast