User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: 10 X 8 Format Cameras - anyone used one?

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

10 X 8 Format Cameras - anyone used one?

I have an offer to borrow a 10 X 8 large format film camera for a couple of months.

I have absolutely no idea how to use one, but I hear they produce phenomenal prints.

Does anyone know how hard they are to use? Could I learn this reasonably easily or would it be something that's really hard to get used to? Is there anywhere in Melbourne that would process that size film ?

"If you want to be a better photographer, stand in front of more interesting stuff.” — Jim Richardson

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remember using one in high school a zillion years ago!

I remember it was more fun than a technical exercise actually. The media teacher was nice, but not very technically adept.
    Perspective adjustments were something that caught our interest I remember and the film was B&W which we developed ourselves.
    I have no idea on the brand of camera and or lens, but it was a mono rail like device which twisted and rotated a lot and made for an interesting way to confuse yourself easily.

Apart from that particular day, I've never used one ever again .. but would love to get one(if money were available for it).

As for film development, Vanbar should have the resources to develop(well, they used too) .... they're not too far from you at the end of the freeway(in Fitzroy).

Alternatively, Prism Imaging in North Melbourne, near the cnr of Flemington Rd and Abbotsford St.

No idea on pricing, but I'm sure their sites will have some info for you.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Ausphotography Veteran
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for that - I have no idea of the brand of this camera either. I'll have a look at those places you mentioned and see if they still do this sort of thing, and if so how much.

Might be an interesting experience if nothing else!