User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  2

Thread: How to hold a camera

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How to hold a camera

Why does a person who's held a camera for over sixty years suddenly want to ask questions of experts on how to hold a camera? I'm now using a Canon SX50, and there's a nice bulge on the right hand side that seems to be just right for holding the camera and reaching buttons BUT buttons I don't want to press seem to get pressed with the "palm" of my thumb while I'm doing something else, and giving me surprises and problems.

The other day on the news I noticed a news photographer who seemed to be using her left hand to support or hold her camera by the lens. Granted it was a long lens, but it made me wonder whether that's the way to do it. On my Canon there is room for my left hand to grip the camera with the forefinger resting up on the flash unit. meaning the right hand is not taking all the weight. Thus the palm isn't pressing into any buttons. There must be a design intention, supposition, provision that I'm not automatically latching on to. Where does one find pictures of how people are holding this kind of camera? The only button that's hard to press in is the video one, though I suppose that's just as well. Accident prone people like some of us sitting in my chair would soon fill up the SD card.

Okay, thanks, what advice do you 'experienced-with-nice-cameras' people have to offer?

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always hold my cameras under the lens and with the heavier one I hold on to the Tripod collar .
    Shooting Vertical I hold on to the side, and when shooting macro one handed I hold on to the right side as I need my left hand to get that Insect into view.
    Does it really matter how you hold it as long as you get good sharp images Google Images *What is the correct way to hold a DSLR camera* plenty there.

I shoot with Olympus Cameras.. Sometimes Canon and My iPhone SE 2020

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've just seen a wrist strap that screws into the tripod socket at one end and loops through the strap attachment.
    http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Leath...881815914.html
    I find the shoulder strap more of a nuisance than anything, so maybe a wrist strap would be better.
    I found a camera bag I liked; the choice was very close but in the end I went for one where the top flap opened forward, so that one doesn't have to hold it up against the body to get the camera out. Slightly larger than necessary to allow for extra bits and pieces.
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/181322309...84.m1439.l2649

And I see that bird photographer Lillian Stokes definitely does hold the main weight of the camera with her left hand holding the barrel.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks Mary Anne. I'm reassured to hear you hold it under the lens. I don't seem to have a tripod collar. How it's held matters when the lower part of the hand, the palm under the thumb, presses buttons one didn't intend to press. With the weight of the camera being supported by that part of the thumb when the fingers are busy with zoom and shutter the buttons marked Disp, Menu and Func Set get pushed in. I will now consciously try to support the weight with the left hand holding the lens barrel. When you say shooting vertical you hold it on the side, do you mean you have your left hand below and your right hand on top? I have always just held it without science or forethought, as seemed natural or convenient, but that's no good if you keep bringing up functions you don't want that interfere with the shot you were about to take.

Thanks also for the effective search terms to find what I wanted - that looks good, and I'll browse that for tips. My search terms were not as targeted, or something. I put in Canon etc, so got lots of pictures of cameras and few of how people were holding them!

- Hah! The very first picture I looked at showed me a different and I am sure better way to hold it, not the way the news photographer was holding it but with the left finger and thumb held in a U-shape which supports the lens barrel rather than gripping it. I feel better already, and my camera soon will, too! Supporting the weight from below rather than gripping the barrel and possibly interfering with a couple of buttons on the left side of the camera body. I notice this woman holds her hand with the palm towards her rather than away from her, too. I'll scan the other pics now. Thanks again. I think I'm on my way!
    Last edited by Newses Bach; 08-04-2014 at 7:30pm.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That wrist strap might be the way for you to go if you are having problems, I thought your camera was a DSLR or a 4/3rds its not though a similar shape.
    No you would not have a tripod collar its only for heavy lenses, yours looks like a great camera though.
    I am glad that you have found a better way to hold your camera and you are getting all the info you were after, Happy Shooting

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm very delighted with all I've found out this afternoon and have lots of notes now. I'll go through a few more times and practice the various suggestions and get familiar with what to do under what circumstances. Very useful. It's a good thing you thought it was a DLSR so I found what I was after very quickly. Thanks again.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I scrapped the std straps many years ago in favour of wrist straps and a rapid double sling. I also use the left hand under the lens most of the time, or with short prime lenses under the camera body.
    Cheers
    Keith.
    Keith

Canon 400D Gripped, Canon 7D LCD Timer Gripped, Canon 70-200 f2.8L is ii. Canon 2X iii Extender, Canon 50mm 1.8, Sigma 150-500, Sigma 18-250, Sigma 17-50 F2.8, Sigma 10-20, Tamron 90mm Macro, Yonguno YN460 & 460ii Speedlights and a Hanimax TZ 1 Flash, Wireless Triggers ,LED Macro Ringlight, Extension Tubes, 3 tripods, 2 monopods, PS Elements 5 & 10, PSP9 and canon s/ware, various filters and other photographic paraphernalia all packed in a computrecker backpack. NEW:- Panasonic GX8, 45-150, 14mm F2.5. PSE 2018.