Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  1

Thread: 'New' Adelaide Oval

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

'New' Adelaide Oval

Well for any AFL aficionados, both local and interstate this is the 'bee's knees'. I was fortunate enough to get an invite on a spare ticket to the Showdown today, which was the first AFL game to be played at this venue. The whole experience was helped by the fact that I am a Power supporter

The whole thing worked really well, public transport and everything. It's been turned into a beautiful stadium, if somewhat unfinished atm, they haven't installed any rubbish bins

Couldn't advocate for anyone buying a seat in the Eastern stand, as it gets absolutely smacked by the afternoon sun, so isn't great (and they are the dearest tickets), but the Southern and Western stands are great. Plenty of big screens to see all of the action. Nobody has to walk more than 40m to get to a toilet or a food/drink outlet - I did see queues at the F&D outlets, but there were no queues in the Ladies toilets - which says something!

I was up on Level 5 in the Southern stand and the view was great, however, there is very little room to manoeuvre oneself past other patrons to get to your seat, without feeling that you were going to go A over T, 'cos there's nothing to hang onto.

The view at night from the outside is superb, so there's def. some photo opportunities there, it's a totally different Adelaide Oval, quite interesting to look at, I'm sure some of our intrepid Adelaide photogs will get around to pictures of this development and the $M40 footbridge, which also looks quite magical at night.

So, there you go, if you live interstate and follow the AFL, it's worth the trip - my comments about the Eastern Stand don't count if it's a night game. There's access to nice restaurants or 'cheap and cheerful' after the game, plus free public transport. Melbs have probably been doing this for years, but this was a bit of a revelation for me - very enjoyable, and I don't like crowds, cheers Deb

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathy View Post
    .... Plenty of big screens to see all of the action. .....
    We've got a big enough screen at home to see all the action.
    Would love to go to a cricket test match there though. I'll look you up if ever I get a chance to go to one Deb.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It does look impressive from the outside, especially at night. Unfortunately my trips to Adelaide don't usually include much time to get the camera out.