Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: Filter Setup's - Lee v Cokin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Filter Setup's - Lee v Cokin

Hi all,

Looking to place an order for a Filter set, but before I do, I thought i'd get some advice on what's being used out there.....

As the title suggests, i'm comparing Lee & Cokin Z Pro gear - Both Lee & Cokin seem to read up ok, so any feedback on these would be great.

The holder & filters will be used on standard kit lenses, but most of the time will be used on my UWA Tokina 11-16mm. I understand that for the UWA Lenses, a particular adapter ring needs to be used...??

Thx in advance...

Thoma.
    Last edited by Thoma; 29-03-2014 at 11:36am.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Thoma View Post
    As the title suggests, i'm comparing Lee & Cokin Z Pro gear - Both Lee & Cokin seem to read up ok, so any feedback on these would be great.
    From what I've read, I think the quality of the Lee filters can be better - but it depends on which filters you get.
    Some people complain about colour casts with the Cokin filters, but in my experience, you only get a colour cast if you stack multiple filters.

Quote Originally Posted by Thoma View Post
    I understand that for the UWA Lenses, a particular adapter ring needs to be used...??
    I have the Cokin Z-Pro ND Grad kit, and you can avoid vignetting when using it on a UWA lens by reversing the filter holder before attaching it to the lens.
    Alternatively, you can disassemble the filter holder, then re-assemble it with two holders on the front, instead of three.

Here's a photo of the Z-Pro filter holder in its standard configuration, showing the three filter holders on the front, and the slot on the rear for attaching to the adapter.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thx heaps mpot. Well - Temptation got the best of me yesterday - I ordered this very kit from my local supplier, whom was happy to match online prices for both the kit & adapter rings.
    I'm happy to use single filters, so will most likely reverse the holder or reconfig the slots.

Thx again for the advice.

Thoma.

Ausphotography Regular basketballfreak6's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hey mate, bit late to the party i think, but from my experience i had a cokin 3 stop gnd soft, currently have a lee 3 stop gnd soft and a singh ray 4 stop reverse grad soft

out of the 3 i found the lee to be the most neutral, with or without stacking filters (tho i am someone that often stacks filters)

but right now my singh ray gets the most use, as during sunrise/set the brightest part is at the horizon, therefore the reverse grad i find most useful:

maybe something to look into down the line, hope that helps