User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  3

Thread: Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 DX II or Sigma 10-20mm f/.3.5?

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 DX II or Sigma 10-20mm f/.3.5?

For the life of me, I can't work out which one to get. Predominantly for star trails and landscapes. I know the Tokina DX II's main improvement is the autofocus motor in the lens, but I've got a D7100, so it doesn't really matter.

The Sigma is cheaper and has a bigger range than the Tokina, but I like the speed of the Tokina, especially for star trails.

I'm also eyeballing the Rokinon / Samyang 14mm f/2.8, but it's fixed to 14mm, and you can't use a screw on filter - the lens bulges out like a squeezed cane toad's.

Any suggestions most welcome.
    Last edited by seastorm; 19-03-2014 at 6:57pm.
    AKA Andrew P.
    Gear: Nikon D7100, Nikon D90, Nikon 18-105mm VR, Nikon 70-300mm VR, Sigma 150-500mm APO DG OS, , Sigma 105mm f/2.8 EX DG OS HSM, Tamron 90mm Macro Di, SB400 speedlight, SB700 speedlight, Nikon DR-6, Panasonic FH20, and all sorts of stuff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just went through the same dilemma. Primary use for me was star trails & milky way. Either lens will do star trails, the extra aperture on the Tok will make a fair difference if you want to do Milky Way though. Obviously the Sigma wins in the focal length department.. Apparently the Sigma 3.5 is softer than the 4-5.6 version. The DXII version of the Tok also has improved coatings on the glass in addition to the AF motor, and from what I saw the price wasnt that different anyway from the original version.

My old man has the 3.5 Sigma, and I ended up with the Tok. I've only had it for a few weeks but Im comfortable I made the right call. That and I picked it up for a ridiculous price which always makes one feel better about ones purchases

Cant say much about the Rokinon but if I was going prime I would be wanting a faster aperture.
    Last edited by bneum; 19-03-2014 at 7:48pm.
    Using Tapatalk

Photo Bizarro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had the same argument in my head about 18 months ago, but to be honest I was always leaning towards the Tokina. I've had it for over a year now and it is a great lens, which stays on my D90 most of the time. Having f/2.8 is a big advantage when shooting stars or handheld indoors. The focal length isn't a big issue to me - it stays at 11mm 98% of the time anyway. Having f/2.8 also enables you to experiment with some funky close focus wide angle bokeh!

When I was looking I was able to find the Tokina at very similar prices to the Sigma.
    My name is John.
    www.jrfraser.com

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tokina it is! Thanks for your comments, guys!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Seastorm

Thanks for the above discussion. I am in the process of deciding on a wide angled lens for my Nikon 7000. I love the specs and test results of the Tokina 11-16 or the 12-28 even. However I'm finding it difficult as to where to purchase one other than Ebay. Could you let me know if and where you purchased your lens from.

Cheers

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    CES, look at the site advertisers here on AP. That way you also support AP indirectly.
    Click on the button labelled "Sponsors" at the top of the page if they are not otherwise visible.

In your considerations about "which lens" give a thought (if you haven't already) as to whether you want a full frame compatible lens,
    or a crop factor lens.

And just one point about the Σ10-20 (both APS-C crop factor) lenses. There are two versions, and FROM REPORTS (hearsay, and anecdotes),
    the f/3.5 version is supposedly " a bit softer" than the f/4-5.6 version. I don't know for sure, though.
    Am.
    CC, Image editing OK.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "CES, look at the site advertisers here on AP"

Thanks ameerat42 - will look into the sponsors.

Photo Bizarro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CES View Post
    "CES, look at the site advertisers here on AP"

Thanks ameerat42 - will look into the sponsors.
    Specifically, I'd check out eglobal or digitalrev.

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CES View Post
    Hi Seastorm

Thanks for the above discussion. I am in the process of deciding on a wide angled lens for my Nikon 7000. I love the specs and test results of the Tokina 11-16 or the 12-28 even. However I'm finding it difficult as to where to purchase one other than Ebay. Could you let me know if and where you purchased your lens from.

Cheers
    Hi there, I picked mine up from Leederville Cameras in Perth. It's only a bit more than the prices on eBay, but I'm willing to support the locals now and again