User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  5

Thread: Hardware Monitoring software

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hardware Monitoring software

Does anyone run hardware monitoring software eg. "Hardware Monitor" as I'm thinking I may try one but not sure if necessary.

PS, also wondering if it matters what order to load on software eg., MS office, Epson Printer software, View NX2 , LR4, or is it irrelevant.
    Last edited by ROA44; 23-03-2014 at 6:20pm.
    Nikon, D750, D5000, 35mm f/1.8, 18-55mm & 55-200mm kit lens,
    Nikon 24-70mm f/2.8, Sigma 120-400mm, Sigma 150-600S, SB-910, Metz mecablitz 58 AF-2
    Manfrotto 680B Mono + 234RC tilt, 055XPROB + 804RC2.

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm sure (???) I had one come on CD with the MBoard when I got it new, but I never did install it (???)
    If not, see if you can get one from the MB site.

PS to your edit:
    I don't think the order matters much with NTFS and later file systems, wheras once you'd load the "important" stuff first.
    The main thing is to keep the drive reasonably de-fragged.
    Last edited by ameerat42; 23-03-2014 at 6:24pm.
    CC, Image editing OK.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    There used to be some great 'gadgets' available for windows 7/8, but do to vulnerability issues Microsoft have discontinued the Gadgets.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/gadgets

I was using one that monitor CPU and RAM temps. Fan performance, and more, until MS discontinued them. Not sure of anyone has offered something similar now.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ameerat42 View Post
    I'm sure (???) I had one come on CD with the MBoard when I got it new, but I never did install it (???)
    If not, see if you can get one from the MB site.

PS to your edit:
    I don't think the order matters much with NTFS and later file systems, wheras once you'd load the "important" stuff first.
    The main thing is to keep the drive reasonably de-fragged.
    To add, do not defrag an SSD.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    This gets reasonable reviews. http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php I have not tried it

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you ameerat and Rick, fan speed monitor and speed software came with the ASUS G/Card so that's fine but saw one program called Hardware Monitor while looking up about overclocking, seems to be a popular one used while configuring systems during overclocking systems, but still trying to research at this point.

Also does LR4 have Nikon Raw codecs or do I still need to load View NX2.
    Last edited by ROA44; 24-03-2014 at 1:03am.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    LR4 has the Nikon codecs..for the cameras around at that time. Newer models are only ever supported with current releases of LR/PS etc.

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Of you have installed all OS and other software on the SSD, the general recommendation is to not defrag the drive.

Doesn't matter which order you load the software you want to eventually install.

ViewNX2 doesn't contain Nikon's NEF codec.
    Nikon's NEF codec pack is really more so for native Windows viewing(previewing) of NEF/NRW files. I can' think of any other software that uses this codec too. Most raw converter applications will have their own built in interpretation decoding software.
    That's why they will all have a slight difference in the way they display raw files.

HERE is the link to Nikon's raw codec for Windows. Note that this software does nothing, other than to allow Windows to display Nikon raw images up to a certain camera model(current latest model is D4s).
    You don't need to install this software, or any later version of it, just because a new camera is released.
    You'd install it if you got the latest new camera from Nikon AND you wanted to see your raw files via Windows Explorer .. or any other image viewing software that doesn't have a raw decoder built in.

I'd recommend not to install the hardware monitoring software. Even tho you probably have resources to burn, it still wastes some resources.
    I'm sure your hardware will be fine.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been using open hardware monitor and it seems to show everything I need.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you Arthur, I hadn't made up my mind whether to or not but curious regarding it.

Regarding View NX 2 will probably load it up as I've a long way to go with LR4