User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  6
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone using the Tamron 24-70mm f2.8 SP Di VC USD on a Nikon?

Still in the Circle of Confusion Cage's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone using the Tamron 24-70mm f2.8 SP Di VC USD on a Nikon?

I've recently acquired the Tamron SP 70-200mm f2.8 VC and I'm very impressed with it.

It is the first zoom lens in my kit, and if it's 24-70mm little brother is of the same standard, I think it could be my new walk around lens.
    The lower weight, 825g v 1470g, is a valid consideration as it the VC. The 70-200 VC works really well on a monopod, but I'd like the option of not having to use the monopod, plus the wider FOV is more suitable for my intended use.

All the reviews I've seen are quite positive, but there is nothing like feedback from a day to day user.

Any feedback on this lens most appreciated.
    Cheers
    Kev

Nikon D810: D600 (Astro Modded): D7200 and 'stuff', lots of 'stuff'

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have both of these lenses which I use with a d600.
    I have been pretty happy with them but my knowledge probably isn't good enough to give you the specific feedback you're looking for and unfortunately I haven't ever owned the Nikkor equivalents to provide a comparison.
    I might be able to provide you with comparative sample images between the two lenses if you have any specific requests.
    Rg
    Graham

Still in the Circle of Confusion
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gbradtke View Post
    I have both of these lenses which I use with a d600.
    I have been pretty happy with them but my knowledge probably isn't good enough to give you the specific feedback you're looking for and unfortunately I haven't ever owned the Nikkor equivalents to provide a comparison.
    I might be able to provide you with comparative sample images between the two lenses if you have any specific requests.
    Rg
    Graham
    Thanks Graham.

I guess I was wanting to know if anyone had any specific problems with the lens. If it's anywhere near the standard of the 70-200 I think I'll be more than pleased.

From what I've seen on various tests sites the image quality should be more than up to my expectations.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cage View Post
    Thanks Graham.

I guess I was wanting to know if anyone had any specific problems with the lens. If it's anywhere near the standard of the 70-200 I think I'll be more than pleased.

From what I've seen on various tests sites the image quality should be more than up to my expectations.
    Certainly no problems with the lens so far.
    The focus seems pretty fast and accurate and sharpness is good.
    The vignetting is less drastic than on the 70-200 but possibly the sharpness is a tad better on the 70-200.
    Disadvantage of course is the 82mm filter rings if you're already kitted up with 77's.
    I have used mine mostly for indoor sports (basketball) and it has performed well in the low light environment providing a nice wide field of view at 24mm.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, the 82mm filter mount is the only downside I can see.

I've already sent Ted's a price match request. I bought my 70-200 from them at quite a competitive price.

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My expectation has been exceeded with this lens.

82mm filter threads .. bit of a PITA in that you need another set of filters/adapters/etc, but in reality not an issue that would have been decisive in choosing the lens, or not.

I got a (cheap enough) CPL for mine from the last Melbourne photo show for just under $100. I've always wanted to try out Kenko's new Zeta range anyhow.

VC works well, and on the D800 is needed a lot more than most folks would tell 'ya you do at these focal lengths.

For comparison, I have the Nikon 24/2(which is a nice olde lens to play with every now and then) and the Tammy is overall a bit sharper and more contrasty in rendering compared the the old Nikkor. The Nikkor has a more subtle rendering which can also be nice too tho.
    The lens I 'replaced' in getting the 24-70VC was the older Tammy 28-75/2.8, which on Dx was pretty much OK, but on Fx it's weaknesses were far more obvious.
    Apart from size, where the 28-75 is about half that of the 24-70, I think the only other area where the 28-75 may have been nicer, is in it's bokeh.
    24-70 is not bad in this area .. I think it's probably better described as "ok".
    In some situations it does look a bit more nervy, I suppose, but I don't think I've ever noticed this sort of behaviour from the 28-75 tho.

The only occasional issue I have with the T24-70VC is not so much the size, and performance is better than I expected it was going to be.
    But my only occasional gripe is the design of the body of the lens.
    On the side of the body where the switches are to control VC and focus and whatnot, the small protrusion for this housing is oddly designed for use on some Nikon bodies.
    The protrusion that is the housing on some Nikon bodies is very close to where Nikon's 10pin port is located.
    (ie. this issue may only concern these Nikon body type users .. D600 is most likely not affected as it doesn't have the 10pin port).
    The issue is that some accessories that attach to the 10pin port won't fit between the lens and the port without removing the lens first.
    This is the only lens in my lineup(about 20ish ATM .. albeit a few strange ones in that collection) that is so affected and it's only because of this protruding housing design of that switch block.

Also note that this same switch block makes it a bit squeezier when pressing the lens lock mount release on the camera too. It's not a problem as such ... just a tighter fit compared to your normal routine.
    In nearly a year of owning this lens, I reckon it could be my best purchase so far.
    VC is handy and effective, while the lens can flare if you try hard, it's not a massive sore point(28-75 was tho!).
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your comprehensive reply Artie.

That was exactly the sort of feedback I was hoping for because I know how particular you are about your gear, except for your love of 'frotto heads and plates.

The gap in price between Ted's and 'Grey' is a bit bigger on the 24-70 than it was on the 70-200, but we are in negotiations. I know the 70-200 has had some big wraps by the various 'expert' testers, but I'm happy to report that it has exceeded my expectations.

Cheers

Kevin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Kevin,

I also have the Tammy on a D600. Great lens, AF is fast and accurate. My only whinge is that the balance isn't great (to me) on the D600. However if you've been strapping on a 70-200 I'm sure that won't both you. The width of the lens doesn't feel quite right to me. Not so much of an issue several thousand shots in, but at first it really annoyed me. The VC is brilliant and works as advertised. Lens hood is the usually take it or leave it petal style. When reversed on the lens, depending upon your hand positioning, zooming can be problematic so I often go without it.

Overall very happy with the lens and what it's capable of. Bargain compared to the Nikon!

Brenden
    Olympus OM-D EM-1, 12-40mm f2.8, 45mm f1.8, Panny 25mm f1.7

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Brenden,

Thanks for looking in.

It all sounds good. The only minor nit seems to be the overall bulk of the lens body, but as Arthur said it shouldn't be a problem for us D600 users.

I suppose I should do the 200k round trip to Ted's at Erina Fair to have a look at it before I hand over the readies.

Cheers

Kevin
    Last edited by Cage; 23-03-2014 at 9:15pm.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Update......

Ted's at Erina Fair have ceased trading so I've just bought this lens from their online store.
    Last edited by Cage; 25-03-2014 at 6:27pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Kevin, I can't speak from my own experience but I have a friend who is gifted in photography (my opinion) and he does his reviews before purchase and bought the Tamron 24 to 70mm and instantly fell in love with it. Best lens he has ever bought according to him, why not buy the equivalent in the Nikon I wondered, well cost and weight came into play on that one. I checked around for best price, on line I have found that E Global had the best price for this lens at $849.00, that was at Xmas so not sure if it has gone up. He then purchased the Sigma 70 to 200mm and has now fallen in love with this one, I think I would break my wrists trying to carry around all the excess weight, so will stick with my small but humble lens for now. Hope this helps with your inquiry, sorry I can't speak on the technical aspects of it, oh by the way he has a Nikon D90.
    D7000, 18mm to 105mm Nikon lens & 18mm to 250mm Sigma lens.

To know what you know and to know what you don't know...is to know.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your input RubyKatz.

I've had the lens for a few weeks now and I've also fallen in love with it, as I also did with the 70-200mm.

For around half the price of the Nikon offerings the difference in output in minimal, if discernible at all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been happy with this lens. Deciding which way to jump on the 70-200's and if the Nikon is worth the extra cash.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gbradtke View Post
    Certainly no problems with the lens so far.
    The focus seems pretty fast and accurate and sharpness is good.
    The vignetting is less drastic than on the 70-200 but possibly the sharpness is a tad better on the 70-200.
    Disadvantage of course is the 82mm filter rings if you're already kitted up with 77's.
    I have used mine mostly for indoor sports (basketball) and it has performed well in the low light environment providing a nice wide field of view at 24mm.

I have a quick question?? Do you have sample images of indoor basketball photos... I also have a d600 and I just recently got the tamron 24-70 2.8 vc! I took it to my sons last game of this season and I stuggled with grain and not as sharp because of grain... something I dont struggle with on my nikkor 85 1.8! Im sure its user error... but i dont know what im doing wrong... or am i being unrealisitc in wanting (minimal grain) same results as my 85mm 1.8 or 50mm 1.8!

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by klctwin1 View Post
    I have a quick question?? Do you have sample images of indoor basketball photos... I also have a d600 and I just recently got the tamron 24-70 2.8 vc! I took it to my sons last game of this season and I stuggled with grain and not as sharp because of grain... something I dont struggle with on my nikkor 85 1.8! Im sure its user error... but i dont know what im doing wrong... or am i being unrealisitc in wanting (minimal grain) same results as my 85mm 1.8 or 50mm 1.8!
    Grain/noise is the result of high ISO, not generally the lens. Check what ISO you had the camera set to
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    Grain/noise is the result of high ISO, not generally the lens. Check what ISO you had the camera set to

I had it set with the same or lower iso trying to get rid of noise... but the lower I went the more it changed my shutter since I was using A mode like I always do and causing motion blur which I didnt want either... so I tried to keep it about the same... if I went higher on my iso it brought up my shutter speed which was great but then grain was even more evident )=

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had it set with the same or lower iso trying to get rid of noise... but the lower I went the more it changed my shutter since I was using A mode like I always do and causing motion blur which I didnt want either... so I tried to keep it about the same... if I went higher on my iso it brought up my shutter speed which was great but then grain was even more evident )=
    I've had my 24-70 for twelve months now and have never seen any grain or noise.

......since I was using A mode like I always do and causing motion blur which I didnt want either.....
    The only time I see any motion blur with this lens is when I hit the shutter button before the VC locks on. I almost always use single point focus and it is very apparent when the VC locks on as the focus area indicator stops moving.

With my D800 I've disabled the focus function via the shutter button and instead use the rear AF-ON button to focus, and from memory I'm pretty sure you can set the D600 to work this way using the AE-L/AF-L button. This way you can focus with your thumb, and when you see the focus lock, press the shutter with your index finger.
    Last edited by Cage; 14-03-2015 at 1:22pm.

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had it set with the same or lower iso trying to get rid of noise.....
    post some sample shots of both the tamron and 85/1.8 lenses for comparison.
    make sure to keep all exif intact in any images you post.

Like Rick said, you won't see any more graininess from one lens compared to another.

Also note tho .. the Tamron's focal length only goes up to 70mm, whereas the 85/1.8 is obviously an 85mm lens.
    If you're zooming in to the same view perspective for both lenses, you're obviously zooming in more with the 70mm lenses images than you are with the 85mm lens(for the same framing of the images).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Been using a Tammy 24-70 f2.8 as my everyday lens pn my D800E for a couple of years now. Great lens. Used it through London and Paris for everything.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Couple of shots...
    *removed - not a critique forum and not related to topic: admin*

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
    Last edited by ricktas; 05-08-2016 at 7:22am.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast