User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  1

Thread: 24-105mm f4 IS to 24-70mm version 2. Is it worth upgrading?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

24-105mm f4 IS to 24-70mm version 2. Is it worth upgrading?

Hi fellow friends. As the title above, is it worth upgrading? is there any significant difference of image quality between these lenses?
    thanks

Ausphotography Regular basketballfreak6's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hey mate, i did that jump last year and here is my take...

definitely noticeably better IQ, i find images having more pop, which i put it down to better sharpness and contrast (i am particularly impressed at sharpness @24mm), i personally find my sigma 35 still just that bit sharper tho, for comparison sake, but that's in no way a knock on the 24-70 II, rather more praise at how good the sigma 35 is

distortion is much better controlled too, particularly at the wide end where 24-105 is very ordinary in that regards

auto focus is amazing on my 5d3, blistering fast and very accurate

but OTOH i do miss the IS on my 24-105, i don't care what others say about IS not needed at that focal range, i find it useful, also don't forget the extra 35mm of zoom you lose

i actually believe both lens can co-exist, but since i don't really make money from this hobby i can't justify keeping both lol

hope that helps

Ausphotography Regular Brian500au's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also made the move from the 24-105 to the 24-70 II. I think the first thing you need to decide is the purpose you are using the lens for. As a travel lens the 24-105 is hard to beat, but as a special purpose portrait lens I prefer the focal length and IQ of the 24-70 II hands down.

I use the 24-70 on both a 6D and a 1DIV and there is a noticeable difference in contrast and sharpness SOOC over the 24-105. I personally do not miss the IS in the latter lens - but I do find the 24-70 heavy if I have to use it as a travel lens. I have compensated in this area by using a lighter body when I travel (6D rather than the 1DIV).

Last thing you need to consider is the price differential. Only you can decide if a change over price of approximately $1500 is worth the upgrade.
    Last edited by Brian500au; 17-03-2014 at 3:33am.
    www.kjbphotography.com.au

1DxII, EOS R, 200-400 f4L Ext, 100-400 f4.5-5.6L II, 70-200 F4IS, 24-70 F2.8 II, 16-35 F4IS

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Aalex
    I concur with both Brian and bbfreak6.
    The 24-105 is very handy as a general/ travel lens with its extra 35mm zoom length,lighter weight and IS.
    If you are happy to trade off the extra 35mm, the lighter weight, f4 and IS for f2.8 and better IQ then do "the upgrade".
    However, if funding permits, keep the 24-105 and acquire the 24-70 (if you don't want to rent one). Try both in a range of scenarios
    and see if you want to flick one of them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The question is do you want to have faster lens and let go of the IS?

Do you shoot fast moving object? Then 24-70 f/2.8 will be the answer. If you take stills and need stabilisation to counteract the hand movement then stick with 24-105L.

Personally I sold my 24-105 and went for Tamron 24-70 f/2.8 VC (Image Stabilisation) because I need the faster lens in lower light and depth of field.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting thread , I have just joined this forum and decided to upgrade my 50d to 6d and have been trying to decide which lens of these two I should get , I'm off to the Amalfi coast in September . I am leaning towards the 25-105 as a walk around lens ? warren

- - - Updated - - -

Interesting thread , I have just joined this forum and decided to upgrade my 50d to 6d and have been trying to decide which lens of these two I should get , I'm off to the Amalfi coast in September . I am leaning towards the 25-105 as a walk around lens ? warren

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I recently upgraded to 24-70 mk2 it is my walk around lens lives on my camera in my opinion is as sharp as 70-200 ,but saying that the tamron version is as good so that would save you a few $ there are a few you tube compares.
    Photoshop CS4 and lightroom 2 (lI know a little bit but am learning )
    Constructive Critique of my images always appreciated
    Feel free to re work my images, just please let me know what you did, and how you did it so I can learn
    Stu .
    my website
    my gallery