User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  2

Thread: What's a good but cheap macro ef lens for a canon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What's a good but cheap macro ef lens for a canon

Hi just wondering what macro lens I could get that's good but cheap. I'm just wanting to try something new thanks

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    good but cheap generally do not go hand in hand. But have a look for the Tamron 90mm f2.8 (make sure you choose Canon Mount when purchasing). You should be able to get one for about $300.00 and for years it was voted best macro lens. But remember it is only for crop sensor (APS-C) bodies **EDIT: new version can be used on FF bodies**.

Up from that $$ wise, consider the Sigma 70mm/Sigma 105mm. Both Macro, both f2.8

Then you could look at the Canon ones, like the Canon 100mm Macro, but then you are getting up around $1000.00
    Last edited by ricktas; 16-03-2014 at 4:23pm.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The canon 100 f 2.8 macro( not IS) can be got for a lot less than $1000. It is a very good lens. Fits both (APS-C) canon mount and the full frame.
    The age of entitlement isn't over, it's just over there where you can't get to it.
    When several possibilities exist, the simplest solution is the best.
    "There are no rules" Bruce Barnbaum, The art of Photography
    Graham

Serial Truant....
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the 100mm F2.8 Non IS Canon Lens, it's a nice lens but, from what I've seen, the Tamron 90mm F2.8 is every but as good.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Tamron 90mm is a damn fine lens, especially the new version that now has VC (image stabilisation) and can be had for around the $600.00
    Smoke Alarms Save Lives, Install One Today
    I shoot Canon
    Cheers, Mark

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I realise you asked about EF lenses but many non EF lenses can be easily adapted and can be much better value. Some can also allow the option of tilt/shift which can be useful.

The Nikon Micro-Nikkor 55mm F2.8 regularly sell for between $150-$200. The Micro-Nikkor 55mm F2.8 is still one of the sharpest macros ever made, even if it focuses in the WRONG direction (opposite to Canon, Contax, Yashica, Mamiya, Leica and many other brands). A Nikon to Canon EF adapter can be had for about $15 dollars.

http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/Lenses-/3...mplete=1&rt=nc

There are heaps of options once you are willing to give up AF. I use a Mamiya 120/4 A (a few hundred dollars) which is excellent, also a Yashica 55/2.8 (less than $200) which is nice but I mainly use lots of different enlarging lenses (from $10 upwards) on bellows.

At the end of the day, I don't think there is any such thing as a bad macro lens, they all seem to perform extremely well in their intended range.
    Last edited by jjphoto; 16-03-2014 at 11:52pm.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If budget is an issue and if you have a 50mm lens or you have the 18-55mm kit lens could buy a reversing ring for around $10
    Turn you lens around the other way and give that a go.
    If you decide Macro it is not for you, then all you have wasted is that small price for the reversing ring.

As written above the Tamron 90mm Macro lens is a great lens and there are plenty more options..

I shoot with Olympus Cameras.. Sometimes Canon and My iPhone SE 2020

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canon 60mm macro is quite good. Another cheap option is manual extension tubes - ~$10, or auto extension tube (~$150. They can turn your 18-55mm kit into ~1x macro lens. I have some auto tubes, they are decent quality from kenko brand. They can always be used on different lenses, they can be used on macro lenses for even more magnification if you end up liking it and buying a dedicated macro lens.
    1DIII, 5DII, 15mm fish, 24mm ts-e, 35L,135L,200L,400L,mpe-65mm
    Film: eos 300, pentax 6x7

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are after a cheap solution then I too recommend what Mary Anne said and try reverse mount. I would suggest using a old non af lens so that you can easily adjust the aperture. I use an old pentax mount vivitar 28mm lens which a bought for $20 years ago and a $12 macro slide rail and $10 extension tubes to stack macros like this .. still learning. This moth pic isn't cropped and done with less than $50 worth of macro gear.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by bes; 17-03-2014 at 7:14pm.