User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: What 3.5 years can teach you

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What 3.5 years can teach you

So I am currently setting up a private blog with pictures and updates of my kids so that I can stop posting to facebook so much, but long distance family and friends can still be updated. This is including uploading and backdating everything since my first was born. Recently I seem to have lost some photography motivation and I think it's due to feeling like I have plateaued in my learning. However, updating my blog, it's obvious I have come a long way.

The two photos are of the same kid, my eldest Flynn, taken roughly 3.5 years apart. The first is taken on my first "real" camera, a Nikon D60 and I remember putting so much effort into taking it and at the time, saw nothing wrong with it (probably partly due to mummy goggles) and the second was a quick snap with my D7000 on the way home from the grocery shops. No real set-up or anything, just a click as he walked past and no real processing except to switch to BW and sharpen. The difference, I think, is phenomenal.

Just wanted to share my progress

Sprinter shoot practice_50.jpg by JDFSandH, on Flickr

JKW_2148.jpg by JDFSandH, on Flickr
    *click*

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JDFSandH View Post
    Recently I seem to have lost some photography motivation and I think it's due to feeling like I have plateaued in my learning.
    Think this is not unusual. I reckon as you learn about photography you can become your harshest critic. Your photos get better but you expected more.
    As you've shown, revisiting what we used to think was good, can show us how much better we have become.
    Last edited by Mark L; 15-03-2014 at 9:09pm.
    "Enjoy what you can do rather than being frustrated at what you can't." bobt
    Canon 80D, 60D, Canon 28-105, Sigma 150-600S.

Austog Irregular Regular markdphotography's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A little self reflection is always good motivation. Sometimes life gets in the way of photography (and other hobbies) but it is a skill that will serve you well as the family grows up. A little patience and perseverance will go a long way. Agree with getting off Facebook and creating a blog (Wordpress?) will allow you to control what you post and have more time for photography instead of reading pointless info that friends think you may be interested in. Great work just to post this so it seems you have the patience and perseverance nailed just need to find a little more time when the blog is created.
    Cameras capture light, minds capture images.

Website Facebook

Account Closed at member's request
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Had the same thing. I had an old flickr account I used to upload photos to when I got my D50. I was horrified about the photos that I thought were awesome at the time.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was just shocked. I remembered the old photos but I had built them up as works of art in my head and it wasn't until I actually viewed them that I realised just how poor they were. Photos from my phone now, are better than my camera photos back then. I really need to make more of an effort now though. I do a 5km walk every 2 days to pick up groceries with my kids and we usually stop at the park for them to play and feed the ducks. The camera is often in the bottom of the pram, I just don't grab it out. I don't really have any excuse. Just too tired and distracted I think. We have cleared out the front of our house to make way for a nursery for our upcoming baby so am thinking I might just hang something on the wall I can use as a background and use the big empty space for a while to do some practise, either with kids or objects and play around with techniques. Hoping that learning something new might also inspire, instead of taking the same types of shots all time.

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JDFSandH View Post
    .... The camera is often in the bottom of the pram, I just don't grab it out. I don't really have any excuse. Just too tired and distracted I think. ...
    Maybe grabbing that camera well make you feel a little less tired and distracted for a few moments. If you keep you expectations of the results low, you have a better chance of surpassing those expectations.
    Also will give you a little distraction as you're hitting the delete key when you get home (just kidding).

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yah yah..last photo looking pretty professional...still love the first one too....captures a awesome little memory of your little man.
    Been here, not done that.

Member formerly known as : Lplates Glenda's Avatar
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Probably a good exercise for most of us to do. I remember looking at some photos I took during a trip when I first became interested in photography. I thought they were amazing at the time. Now I can look at them and immediately see all the mistakes. Good to know we are improving especially when you get frustrated when a shot doesn't quite work or you see someone's amazing photographs and forget how long they've been at it.

- - - Updated - - -

Probably a good exercise for most of us to do. I remember looking at some photos I took during a trip when I first became interested in photography. I thought they were amazing at the time. Now I can look at them and immediately see all the mistakes. Good to know we are improving especially when you get frustrated when a shot doesn't quite work or you see someone's amazing photographs and forget how long they've been at it.
    Glenda