User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  5

Thread: Tassie Tips

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tassie Tips

I'm getting in very early here, but I'll have a quick trip to Tassie in late August (for a conference, I have no choice over the timing). The plan is to fly into Launceston - arriving around 1.30pm if we're on time - and stay there overnight. The next day (which will be a Sunday) we will make our way to Coles Bay for that night. Monday we will make our way to Hobart where we will be until we leave on Saturday morning. Tues, Wed, Thurs I may have time to do as I want, but I will not have a vehicle unless there are tours put on for those of us there as "plus ones". Quite happy to use taxis a bit within the city though. I'll be within walking distance of Salamanca place, that and Constitution Dock are places I intend to visit. On Friday we will be free, I think we will hire a car and head out on a day trip. It's all going to be weather dependent, but I'd appreciate any tips on places to look out for that aren't too far out of the areas we will be going, or any advice on routes to follow.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    go up Mt Wellington. Go to Richmond.

In Launceston go to the Gorge.
    Last edited by ricktas; 15-03-2014 at 6:10pm.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are certainly lots of opportunities around Hobart and south for short tours with interesting routes and destinations. A good place to look for inspiration and ideas is the Think-Tasmania web site. It is dedicated (obviously) to everything Tasmanian. The publishers put together a brilliant dossier of articles and photographs and also invite visitors to the island to add their experiences and photographs. I am sure you'll find this is a good place to get advice. I'm not sure if the link shown will work but copy the details into your browser.

http://www.think-tasmania.com/

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Rosso, I hadn't seen that website before, it looks like there's lots of detail in there. I've looked at the main tourism ones, but I'll take local knowledge over those any day especially when time is tight.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks Rick, I'm hoping to get up Mt Wellington and see snow for the first time. The Gorge looks good for Launceston, Richmond is added to the list now too

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was over there in Jan/Feb and had the best weather possible! It's going to be cold for you! Definitely go up Mount Wellington (one of the best things, photographically, I did) - I swear my fingers nearly fell off from being so cold though and that was in 'Summer', so good luck. Whilst in Hobart, go and see Strickland Avenue Falls and O'Grady's Falls, well worth it.

It's also well worth making the trip out to Huonville (40min out) and dropping in at Willie Smiths. Best cider I have had and a really cool place! If your in Huonville, you can drive out to Snug (can't remember how long that took, maybe an hour) and see Snug Falls too.
    Tim | Capturing God's Creation

Canon 7D | Tokina 11-16 F/2.8 | Canon 400 F/5.6 | Canon 50 F/1.8 | Manfrotto CF Tripod | Cokin Z GND Filters | Lowepro 400AW | GoPro Hero 2 | Kwik Camo

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Sarge, that all sounds good... especially the cider!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is, especially with a nice steak and chips!!

Enjoy your trip anyway...
    Last edited by Sarge; 15-03-2014 at 7:50pm.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    I was over there in Jan/Feb and had the best weather possible! It's going to be cold for you! Definitely go up Mount Wellington (one of the best things, photographically, I did) - I swear my fingers nearly fell off from being so cold though and that was in 'Summer', so good luck. Whilst in Hobart, go and see Strickland Avenue Falls and O'Grady's Falls, well worth it.

It's also well worth making the trip out to Huonville (40min out) and dropping in at Willie Smiths. Best cider I have had and a really cool place! If your in Huonville, you can drive out to Snug (can't remember how long that took, maybe an hour) and see Snug Falls too.
    he he. I live on Strickland Ave, I am about a ten minute walk to the falls. Often take my dogs up there for a play in the creek.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We visited snug falls yesterday, only a trickle of water coming over the falls but I imagine by August there will be more, It's a 2.1km walk return and is mostly uphill on the way out so gets the heart going and warms you up. Thanks for the heads up Sarge, we will be in Hobart today for a week and definitely will make our way to Strickland Ave falls, O'grady's falls and Mt Wellington.

- - - Updated - - -

We visited snug falls yesterday, only a trickle of water coming over the falls but I imagine by August there will be more, It's a 2.1km walk return and is mostly uphill on the way out so gets the heart going and warms you up. Thanks for the heads up Sarge, we will be in Hobart today for a week and definitely will make our way to Strickland Ave falls, O'grady's falls and Mt Wellington.
    Cheers Gayle & Colin

Give Life your Best Shot.
    http://flickr.com/photos/2blooms/