Thread: Nikkor 14-24 filters

Photo Bizarro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nikkor 14-24 filters

Hi guys,

I've been considering the purchase of a Nikkor 14-24 lens, and am aware that one of peoples' main concerns with this lens is not being able to use standard filters. I'm wondering if anyone around these parts has had any particular experiences with different filter configurations for this lens (or similar lenses)? Any pros or cons or things to be aware of?

I have done a bit of research and found these two articles quite helpful:
    http://www.ianplant.com/blog/2013/03....hyz3zu6O.dpbs
    http://www.naturescapes.net/articles...-14-24mm-lens/

John
    My name is John.
    www.jrfraser.com

Photo Bizarro
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No one?

I'm particularly interested in a CPL (yes I know about blue sky issues), but there only seems to be one available as far as I can work out - the Fotodiox WonderPana system.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use the Lee sw150 system. The holder isn't the best, I think the Lucroit holder is a better design due to the fact it completely blocks out all light from behind the filter, the clip on baffles in the Lee system are pretty much useless. As far as ND grad filters go, Lee is the best there is, that's the reason I went with this system.

I made my own baffle for the Lee holder:

http://www.lincolnharrison.com/blog/...custom-bafflle

With the modification I can now use 3 filters with no problems.

The CPL I use is the CaVision 6x6 CPL:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._Circular.html

The CPL is 4mm thick, a standard Lee ND is 2mm thick so you also need a set of 4mm guide rails:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...s_for_4mm.html

I only use the CPL when I'm shooting waterfalls, if you were to use it for seascapes while also using grads you might have an issue where the optimal position for the CPL leaves your grad filter at an awkward angle, in this situation you'd be better off not using a grad and instead blending exposures in post.

Lee don't make a bigstopper to fit this system but there is the Hitech Prostop 10 IRND filter:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._IRND_3_0.html

Who let the rabble in?
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use the Lee SW150 as well and agree that the baffles aren't the best, however, the system itself is nicely made. I may have to give Hakka's remedy for it (above) a go.

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't have the 14-24, but I do have the Sigma 12-24 instead.

Same issue of filter mounting, and I'm slowly going through some of the groundwork to make up my own filter holder system.

It'll take me a while yet to do, but one thing that is clearly obvious is that a CPL is going to be hard to do in conjunction with grad filters, as Hakka pointed out due to possible conflicting orientations required!

I'm pretty sure you can get large circular polarisers that should fit, but we're talking prices getting close to $1K!!

I used to have a bookmark of a supplier of polarising films .. large sized versions.

Can't find it now, but when I do(if I can) I'll post it up as a reference.
    The only problem with these polarising films is that you need to make up a good quality mounting frame for it to work, and from what I've read this isn't as straightforward as it sounds.
    But from memory the polarizing film was relatively cheap given the size of the films, so experimenting a bit may be worthwhile.
    (I just need to locate where I had that bookmark .. if I still have it)
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Photoholic
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On a side note I have a 14-24 that I use on my D700 and D800 without filters and this is a cracker of a lens , sharp and wide !!!
    Does a one legged duck swim in an eliptic circle

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the Lucroit filter holder ( quite well made) and use Formatt-Hitech filTers on it. As mentioned glass square polarisers are available to fit, but they do cost.
    Successful People Make Adjustments - Evander Holyfield

http://steveaxford.smugmug.com/
    About in the middle between Byron Bay, Ballina and Lismore
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the Canon 14mm and I never use filters with this lens. But, if I wanted to, I would use a drop in filter for which there is a slot at the back of the lens. Not sure if the Nikon has the same. It is a much cheaper way to go and should work ok.

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Axford View Post
    I have the Canon 14mm and I never use filters with this lens. But, if I wanted to, I would use a drop in filter for which there is a slot at the back of the lens. Not sure if the Nikon has the same. It is a much cheaper way to go and should work ok.
    Not on the 14-24 ... which is a strange move from them.

I remember years ago one particular wide lens I had the pleasure of seeing in the flesh(can't remember which model it was tho .. 20 odd years is a long time)
    it has this large lump on the rear and side of the lens for a built in filter system.
    Although having seen some of those lenses again in web based archives, it appears to be more along the lines of coloured filters(for B&W effects) and maybe an ND filter or something.

Rear lens based filters can be OK .. mainly for CPL or ND use tho. GND filters, what a lot of people may be looking into ... would be a lot harder to do in a rear lens mounted system.

Pentax has a 25mm f/4 lens for the 645 series with a drop in rear(or centrally) mounted system, which can also take polarisers too.
    Last edited by arthurking83; 24-06-2014 at 10:37pm.