User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  5

Thread: Ilford Paper

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ilford Paper

After a good part of today trying to get a handle on LR I feel I am starting to get somewhere, how ever it didn't come without some reasonable degree of frustration not so much from LR but my system deciding to do it's own thing. but I think I've temporarily won a battle with it, so here's the next challenge along with trying to sort out Flicker account soon I hope.

I Purchased some Ilford Paper some time ago going out at reduced price (Smooth Fine Art, Galerie Smooth pearl, Gold Fibre Silk) and wondering what what genres', might be better suited to this style of paper as I would like to try and get the best use from them. At the moment I'm thinking Portraiture, but looking for ideas.

Thank you cheers.
    Nikon, D750, D5000, 35mm f/1.8, 18-55mm & 55-200mm kit lens,
    Nikon 24-70mm f/2.8, Sigma 120-400mm, Sigma 150-600S, SB-910, Metz mecablitz 58 AF-2
    Manfrotto 680B Mono + 234RC tilt, 055XPROB + 804RC2.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a pack each of Galerie Smooth Pearl and Gold Fibre Silk, which I probably bought on special, intending to use them for portraits or the like, but I've not had much luck getting decent prints with my epson printer despite having downloaded the correct icc profiles. I found it easier just to stick with epson paper.

If someone has an answer to the calibration issue I'd be grateful as the Ilford paper has a good range

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You really need to be a bit more specific on what you do and how you do it. To begin with, when you say you "have not had much luck getting decent prints", what do you mean by that? Are the colors wrong or is there another problem?

What type of ink do you use? Pigment or dye? Pigment inks may show some weird effects on Gallery RC papers in the blacks called "matting". In large areas, you may see some effects of this.

What printer? What software do you use for printing and what equipment do you use for calibration?

Those type of papers are not the easiest to work with, but with the information you have provided so far it could be as simple as printing on the wrong side of the paper. Check the Ilford website, there are quite a number of hints and instructions to get the most out of the paper.
    Ciao, Joost

All feedback is highly appreciated!

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For myself I have an Epson R290 Printer Inkjet and using Genuine Epson Claria inks, Epson software so must check out the Ilford site.

Thank you C4N.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Joost

Thanks for the reply.

The problem I have is that the colours look nothing like they do on my calibrated monitor.

My printer is an Epson 1410 with genuine Epson 81N inks.

I print through Photoshop (elements or CS6 depending on what I'm doing) or sometimes LR5.

I don't get any weird effects just incorrect colour, and I've download the icc profiles from the Ilford site

On Epson paper I don't have anywhere near that problem, just an occasional shot that isn't quite as on the screen
    Last edited by Boo53; 15-03-2014 at 4:04pm.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boo53 View Post
    Joost

Thanks for the reply.

The problem I have is that the colours look nothing like they do on my calibrated monitor.

My printer is an Epson 1410 with genuine Epson 81N inks.

I print through Photoshop (elements or CS6 depending on what I'm doing) or sometimes LR5.

I don't get any weird effects just incorrect colour, and I've download the icc profiles from the Ilford site

On Epson paper I don't have anywhere near that problem, just an occasional shot that isn't quite as on the screen
    Have a read of Damien Symonds tutorial on this http://www.damiensymonds.com/art_viewprints.html You might get some clues as to how to narrow it down.
    The age of entitlement isn't over, it's just over there where you can't get to it.
    When several possibilities exist, the simplest solution is the best.
    "There are no rules" Bruce Barnbaum, The art of Photography
    Graham