User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  2

Thread: Wireless or timer cables remote for canon 60d?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wireless or timer cables remote for canon 60d?

Hi All

I am interested in purchasing a Wireless remote for my canon 60d, wondering which one would be the best or most suitable for long exposures on landscapes! I was thinking the Giga T pro II from hahnel but unsure weather its a good pick or not??

Can someone help me out please, what experiences have you guys had with shutter release controls?

Thanks All in advance

Ragsy

- - - Updated - - -

That is suppose to say cable in the title lmao!!

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    have a look at our site advertisers: hypop phottix and protog.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Others may know better and can answer this. Please let me know if I'm missing something.
    For long exposures on landscapes, what's wrong with self timer and live view (to stop potential camera shake at start of exposure)?
    I do have a cable release. It, used with live view also works fine.
    Unless you want you in the photo, is there a need for wireless?
    "Enjoy what you can do rather than being frustrated at what you can't." bobt
    Canon 80D, 60D, Canon 28-105, Sigma 150-600S.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use a remote with cable with my 60D, enabling me to program all sorts of variations. Timer, incremental multiple exposures, (in Bulb mode) I can hold shutter open manually with the timer on remote telling me duration, also in Bulb mode enables exposures greater than 30 seconds on 60D etc. This was a non genuine Chinese import ebay special for like $15 that opens up a whole new world of creative photography that 60D can't do without a remote.
    If you want wireless, I ask same question as Mark L.
    Ray
    60D 5Diii

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Ragsy,

See here

I purchased the one I've mentioned in that thread, also allows for off camera flash and so on, but wanted it mainly for timed release for stacking shots, will allow you to do almost anything.
    They call me "Blue" it's a red head thing.
    "My Flickr Site"
    Canon Bodies - 1DMk2N + 50D - Lenses - 17-35mm F2.8 L - 24-70mm F2.8 L - 70-200mm F2.8 L - 300mm F4 IS L - Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 - Sigma 10-20mm - DJI Mavic Pro Platinum
    " I Never get tired of looking at our diverse country, even if its through the lens of someone else".
    CC is always appreciated.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just seen this post I have the Giga T Pro had I known earlier you could have borrowed it. Due to circumstances I've hardly had time to try it out s let me know how you go.
    Nikon, D750, D5000, 35mm f/1.8, 18-55mm & 55-200mm kit lens,
    Nikon 24-70mm f/2.8, Sigma 120-400mm, Sigma 150-600S, SB-910, Metz mecablitz 58 AF-2
    Manfrotto 680B Mono + 234RC tilt, 055XPROB + 804RC2.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark L View Post
    Others may know better and can answer this. Please let me know if I'm missing something.
    For long exposures on landscapes, what's wrong with self timer and live view (to stop potential camera shake at start of exposure)?
    I do have a cable release. It, used with live view also works fine.
    Unless you want you in the photo, is there a need for wireless?
    Hi mark thanks for your reply!

I would prefer wireless as i have been climbing over rocks at Merino cliff face whilst having my Tablet plugged into my camera, its a bit to easy to drop and the wireless would allow me to not have to worry about moving to far away from the camera so i don't pull it over! if that makes sense!

And, Yes the self timer either 2 sec or 10 sec is helpful but im planning on purchasing a ND 8 solid filter for my Cokin z series pro kit and i believe that longer exposures than 30 secs may be required. which means the camera to be on bulb mode with a remote timer!!

Ragsy

Serial Truant....
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use a Pixel TW-282 wireless timer remote, for astrophotography works perfectly. Available on ebay. http://www.pixelhk.com/Proshow.aspx?id=299 the range is fantastic, I believe the main unit will trigger multiple receivers although I don't think it's possible to buy the receivers as a single item. The transmitter can also be manually connected to the camera with an optional cord.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use the same, and works great for the price.

Quote Originally Posted by phild View Post
    I use a Pixel TW-282 wireless timer remote, for astrophotography works perfectly. Available on ebay. http://www.pixelhk.com/Proshow.aspx?id=299 the range is fantastic, I believe the main unit will trigger multiple receivers although I don't think it's possible to buy the receivers as a single item. The transmitter can also be manually connected to the camera with an optional cord.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Ragsy. Not sure if you've got this sorted yet or not, but I have a standard Canon RC6 that I use for bulb exposures. Simple to use purely for the shutter release, push to open shutter, push again to close shutter. On our 600D and 700D, there's a timer displayed on the screen so you know how long the exposure is taking. I had a practise run with a 30 min exposure for a star trail and it worked just fine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wireless=power=battery=flat at some stage (usually when the light is just right NOW!).

I use a wired remote Intervalometer - yes, it does have a battery for all the whizz-bang timing stuff, but the shutter release does not rely on the battery to trigger the shutter, and it can be locked on for the longer exposures.
    5D MkII Gripped | EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II | EF 24-70mm f/2.8L | EF 50mm f/1.4 USM | EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM | EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro | Extender 2x II | 580EX II & 430EX II Speedlites
    Wanted: The list is long.......so very long........(sighs)
    Oldies but still goodies: AE-1+Program | FD 28mm f/2.8 | FD 50mm f/1.4 | FD 70-210 f/4

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm with Bushbikie on this one.
    I have the Hanel giga Pro II, and it works really well, when the batteries aren't flat.
    The one in the Tx is the real culprit as it uses a small disk battery that has little charge and runs out often.
    I know manufacturers want to make these things small, but I would be willing to have a larger Tx on the top of my camera, than being forced to carry 2 or 3 expensive little batteries around with me all the time, when I have a hundred or so AA and AAA sized rechargeables.
    I do a bit of tripod work, but I use a wired remote as it just always works.............
    The cheap Chinese ones work really well too.
    All my photos are taken with recycled pixels.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom, is knowing not to serve it in a fruit salad.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the Hahnel Giga T Pro II, I did have a cable remote before moving to the wireless. One thing I always keep in mind when making a purchase is how will I be restricted by my equipment if I start doing a new style of photography or change my processes etc. For the price and quality of the product, I think it's great value too. Batteries do last a very long time, I've had my 18mths and still haven't changed them.
    I chose the wireless because I felt if gave me more flexibilty with my camera. Long exposure selfies was a fun experiment where I was 10 meters from the camera. Light painting was also another time it was useful. Using the timer is ok, but I'm forgetful and have left the timer on and missed a few shots.

Serial Truant....
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Regarding the flat battery scenario, I've had no issues with batteries in the Pixel wireless remote, I do carry spares but have yet to need them. Last year I used the pixel wireless remote over 9 very long nights at Queensland Astrofest with 100% reliability and zero battery changes. Most exposures were in the 5-10 minute range so the remote was running almost constantly and in the case of the receiver operating at temperatures as low as zero degrees C, often at ranges of over 40 metres.

The receiver on the Pixel TW-282 uses a CR-2 lithium battery and is rated for (standby time) 400 hours use, the transmitter uses 2x AAA's and is rated at "Standby time more than 4 years" according to the manual. What that means in real terms I'm not sure but my units are still functioning on the original batteries after 12 months standby and around 70 odd hours continual use. Both units have low battery icons on the LCD displays.
    Last edited by phild; 27-07-2014 at 11:26am.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got the Hahnel Giga T Pro 2 as well, and the beauty of it is that you can use it as a wired remote OR a wireless remote with the 60D. If you're going to be more than arm's length away from the camera, then all you need is a longer cable to plug between the remote and the camera - you don't need to have the receiver in the hot shoe.

I've also "installed" Magic Lantern on some of my memory cards, and although I haven't used it much yet, I do believe there might be a timer and bulb function built-in. If I'm wrong, I'm sure someone will correct me.
    Nick T.

Canon EOS 60D; Canon 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM; Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM; Canon "Nifty Fifty" 50mm F/1.8 II; Canon 100mm f/2.8 IS USM Macro; 2x Sigma EF-530DG Super flashes; Manfrotto 190XProB + 804CR2

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phild View Post
    I use a Pixel TW-282 wireless timer remote Available on ebay.

I can only recommend that remote as well! Works like a charm!