Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  2

Thread: Canon 6D problem

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Canon 6D problem

Oh dear....
    My 6D is less than a year old and has developed a fault.
    I down loaded the SD card after a day at the Clipsal 500, and replaced the card back into the camera.
    When I switched it on the next day the message came up "No card in camera". Oh really?
    OK....I have checked out the card in another camera and it is fine.
    I have tried several other cards in the Canon and the same msg appears.

Reading a few camera chat sites, it seems that this is not an uncommon problem for this model and the 5D as well.

Anyone else had this happen?
    Last edited by acko; 04-03-2014 at 1:17am.
    Canon 6D
    Canon 40D
    16-35 L 2.8 11 USM
    24-105 L IS USM
    70-200 2.8 L IS USM 11

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Happens all the time with my 5D3. Fairly unscientific solution I use is is to blow into the slot and insert the card again. No, that isn't a joke. It works, but the problem is very annoying.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks...I have already tried that with some canned compressed air, but in my case it did not fix the problem. I think it might have to have a visit to Mr Canon.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    having a look around , could be that the card connectors are not touching the camera ones, with card inserted push a thin piece of card ( or similar ) behind card to see if it pushes the pins together. or it could be ( again found on another thread) if you open the card slot and use a toothpic to activate the switch with door open then insert card give it a wiggle to see if it makes a connection...ill keep looking around see if i find anything a little more scientific

- - - Updated - - -

Slide the switch on the card to locked. Insert it into the camera and switch on. The camera should say that the card is locked.

Switch the camera off, remove the card and slide the card switch to unlocked. Insert the card and see what happens
    long live

http://www.birdphotographyworkshops.com.au

Canon R7, and a lot of other bits and bobs

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmmm....tried all that, and no matter what I do it still comes up with no card in camera.
    Seems it just doesn't want to play.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I said blow into the slot, I meant with your breath, not a rocket-blower. The humidity seems to work. Blow fairly hard and sharply, like you're blowing out a candle.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    do a hard reset of the camera.

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/....php?t=1205511

and then once done, check for firmware updates as well.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Have you tried another card?

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark L View Post
    Have you tried another card?
    Yes...tried a couple that I know work and they make no difference.
    Anyway, I have been in touch with the supplier, and the camera is now all packaged up and waiting for them to send a courier to collect it.
    I will be curious to see how long all this takes.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just an update on the problem.
    The camera is now with Canon, back in Japan I think, and they have advised that it is indeed a manufacturing fault and will fix it (and return it) at no charge.
    I spoke to a 5D 111 owner who has had the same problem - maybe it's the fact that they use SD cards???

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by acko View Post
    Just an update on the problem.
    The camera is now with Canon, back in Japan I think, and they have advised that it is indeed a manufacturing fault and will fix it (and return it) at no charge.
    I spoke to a 5D 111 owner who has had the same problem - maybe it's the fact that they use SD cards???
    The earlier 1 Series cameras, pre-1DX use SD cards with no problems. Great to hear you got a result though. Still a PITA being without a camera. My 5DIII still has intermittant problems with recognising the SD cards though. Never had one not write though when it is finally recognised in the camera, and never had a problem with them in the 1DIII or the 1DII.

Fishy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It would be interesting to note if you had used a MMC and had the same problem? Warbler: sounds like your problem may get worse. Send it back for checking as it may happen later down the track and fail then you might be paying for it. And it sounds like canon know there is a problem but wait for someone to complain before taking action. good luck cheers Brian
    Cheers Brian.

Canon 7D Kit lenses EFS 18-55 IS EFS 55-250 IS EF28-90 Canon EF 2xll Extender Sigma DG150-500 OS Speedlight 420EX. 580EX

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine's well out of warranty now, and with only 80,000 activations too....

The Commander
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm - now I am scared - just bought a 5d3 in the last week. Have two buddies with 5d3, one about 8 mths on from purchase and the other maybe 18 mths and neither have had issues. I know Gav had to send his 5d3 back for the light leak through the top LCD fix so maybe there has been a fix applied that has been on the production line for a little while - heres hoping. :-|
    Please be honest with your Critique of my images. I may not always agree, but I will not be offended - CC assists my learning and is always appreciate

https://mikeathome.smugmug.com/

Canon 5D3 - Gripped, EF 70-200 L IS 2.8 MkII, , 24-105 L 4 IS MkI, 580 EX II Speedlite, 2x 430 Ex II Speedlite