12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by macmich View Post
    arthur
    thats where the steam cleaner comes in to it
    you steam clean the hard to move spots
    cheeras macca
    You guys! you really do make this cleaning hard work. I just chuck mine in the washing machine with some napisan (use more Napisan if you own Canon as it makes your white lenses nice and bright), then into the tumble dryer. Not only does it get cleaned, its smells nice and the grip is so soft, thanks to lemon fabric softener.

PS. Only use cold/warm water. If you use hot water your camera might shrink. Your D800 might become a point and shoot
    Last edited by ricktas; 28-02-2014 at 8:38am.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brigitte View Post
    Many thanks to all for your input. I love vacuuming but will give this a miss, sorry Greengrass.
    Just picked up the camera today, fantastic service, same day pick up and according to the picture supplied a great job as it was very bad. I think I figured out why it was so bad. The place we stayed in over Christmas had a fan going nearly 24hrs due to the heat and even though I went into another room the air was well stirred. Will change lenses in the car next time. Once again, thanks, Brigitte
    If you really do have an issue with dusty environments, get yourself a ziplock back big enough to fit your camera and the lenses. Put them both on the bag in the least dusty place you can find, zip it, then manipulate the camera/lens through the bag and change them. Do not leave them in the bag as it can create a moisture trap, and lead to fungus on/in lenses etc.

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Weather sealing
    regards, Kym Gallery Honest & Direct Constructive Critique Appreciated! ©
    Digital & film, Bits of glass covering 10mm to 500mm, and other stuff

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good advice Arthur and I am still using the Eclipse fluid and the pec pads you recommended to me a couple of years ago.
    It will be many years down the track before I will need any replacements of either of those two. Even cleaning both my camera sensors about every two months.
    As shooting macro at f/14 + sure brings up those dust bunnies so I have to do it more often than that at times.

I shoot with Olympus Cameras.. Sometimes Canon and My iPhone SE 2020

Ausphotography Veteran
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just ordered the cleaning kit from Cameracheckpoint! What a great site! Thanks Arthur for your detailed explanation, all makes sense to me.
    Last edited by Brigitte; 28-02-2014 at 6:03pm.

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good one!

seriously, if you can clean fragile glassware without breaking it(as I do) .. you can easily clean a camera sensor.
    They are much more resistant to breakage than (all the) crystal glassware I've broken over the years

But importantly. don't just clean for the sake of cleaning.

What I tend to do, either just every now and then, or if I notice a spot somewhere in an image:

Take a few exposures of a bland featureless scene at a couple of important aperture values.

* bland featureless scenes that are easy to find are: totally clear or full cloudy patch of sky! Use zoom if need be to concentrate the lens only on the featureless part.
    if the clouds have any form or definition, all this does is to make it harder to spot the spots. They're still there, just harder to see.

*Another useful low contrast scene is a well lit plain wall. White is better than coloured, only in that the dark spots are more obvious.
    Colours are ok, if you exposure appropriately tho.
    Don't worry about focus. in fact focusing can actually make it harder to see the spots.

* try to keep ISO to a minimum exposure is more important than blurriness or noise, but excessive noise(say ISO12800!) doesn't help much.

* exposure should be brighter than standard for best viewing results.

* if you notice any spots in a particular area of the resultant image, always remember that the image is inverted. That is, if the really hard to remove spot is in the lower left corner of the image on the screen(PC or camera, then on the sensor, the actual spot is in the upper RH corner.

Something that I've noted over the years. Newer cameras can be harder to remove stubborn spots.
    My really old D70s usually cleans up nicely with one or two attempts.
    The D300(less old) is slightly harder to clean in one or two shots, but not by much.
    D800E(pretty recent) usually needs 4 or 5 attempts at cleaning to a satisfactory result.
    I think it may have somethign to do with the coatings on the sensors filter(which is what you are actually cleaning).

They somehow feel 'more slippery' these newer sensors.

I only use the wet clean method, and never tried the sticky dab cleaning tools(yet) .. and so if you're cleaning kit is of the pecpad wrapped wet clean type, you may find some streaky residue after you initially wipe the sensor(on newer cameras).
    Never seen this on the old D70s, but see it all the time on the D800E. Again I reckon it may be the coatings.
    Don't worry about the streaky residue if you see any, it dries up in the end.

* try not to wipe right to the edges of the sensor too hard.
    That is, don't think it's important to wipe the dust off the very edges of the sensor area. You may only drag more dust back onto the sensor, if you try to 'dig out' any possible dust at the beginning of the swipe motion.

And only try to wipe in one direction if you can too.
    Don't start from one side and then start from the other side. Again all you may end up doing is dragging any dust you just dragged from one side, over to the other side again and possibly leave spots across the sensor area again.

I'm just assuming from the link you posted:
    Don't use the blower(any blower) on the sensor directly. 9.9x out of 10, all you end up doing is blowing more fine dust spots onto the sensor.
    for blowing off the sensor, I only use canned air .. which is clean(filtered) air. A blower type device such as a blower bulb or rocket type blower must ingest air from the atmosphere in your work area. If you're not in a clean room, that air is almost certainly laden with dust particles, not to mention those already settled in the blower itself.
    Blowers are generally only useful for blowing out the mirror box area prior to locking the shutter open for sensor cleaning.

* OH! and makes sure your battery has high capacity remaining .. to be safe .. fully charged!

Note the difference in dust particles that the sensor may have too:

* small spots, usually are baked on, and won't wipe with a brush or blow off even with concentrated canned air! They're stuck, and either the sticky dab or wet clean will only remove them.
    * curly hairs(only way to describe them) looks like a curled up worm. These can usually fall off the sensor with the right technique. The sensor brush in your link is good for those dust particles. ( I also have one of them brushes). They can be safe to gently brush the mirror down too if need be. making sure to use zero pressure. Mirrors have fragile markings, coatings. I've to damage one with a sensor brush tho .. again common sense comes into play .. very gently.

Your camera has an optical viewfinder, and you see dust spots through it. They will be on the focusing screen, on the mirror, or both. If you clean either or both, and any spots are still visible in the viewfinder. it's almost certainly inside the matte screen. Hard to remove if you don't know how .. and can be fraught with damage if done badly.

Apologies for the long post. I once posted a quick howto on sensor cleaning(the copperhill way) or something ... to lazy to search and post a link for you.

if this sounds somehow complicated or difficult, really it's not. Just posting some info on what you may expect. For a first timer knowing what may happen is more comforting than the possibility of seeing a streaky finish in your images thinking you've damaged your sensor! Just clean it again.

* Damned I forgot to mention: if you are using Eclipse fluid, there may be a possibility that you need to shake the bottle well before use(I do this naturally before use now anyhow).
    I never used too, but as my bottles are now about 8 years old, I once found that no matter what I did I had steaks across the sensor after every wipe. It did my head in .. as it never used to happen, and then suddenly it did! turned out that something may happen to the Eclipse fluid over time, if it sits. I was under the impression it was supposedly 100% pure alcohol(which is good!), but I tried shaking it as a last resort, and bingo! .. streaks were all gone.
    And don't use a dry wipe. If you see streaks on the photo(which looks like scratching or something) .. don't be tempted to wipe them off(BAD!!!) Just do a wet clean again. They eventually go away. A possible reason for seeing streaks on one attempt and then not in another could be amounts of fluid used. I only ever use two drops on the tip of the pecpad .. never any more. Sometimes I use only one drop, but this in itself doesn't change the appearance of streaks, or not, on the photos.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Perpetually Bewildered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brigitte View Post
    I love vacuuming
    Well there's a sentence I never thought I'd see... I do lots of vacuuming but not because I love it - it's simply because of the fact that no woman has ever killed her husband while he was doing the vacuuming...

Cheers.
    Phil.

Some Nikon stuff. I shoot Mirrorless and Mirrorlessless.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^ words of wisdom. hahaha

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This has been a great thread and thanks to all contributors It's certainly given me the confidence to clean the spots off my sensor so have just ordered my own Essentials kit from our site advertiser.

cheers
    Belly

D850
    | D4s | D500 | Nikkor Glass

"and the mountains shall bring peace to the people"...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12