Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Didn't see this one coming.

RIP Nikon Capture NX2

- - - Updated - - -

Updated.

It seems to be a very good replacement for View NX 2.

Nothing more and in some ways less.

- - - Updated - - -

It is actually a dog's breakfast of a program. Usefulness = a big fat zero.
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure if it's a replacement for CNX2, or ViewNX2?

It seems to be a more elaborate update for ViewNX2 rather than a replacement for Capture.

Some ok features in this one, exposure compensation of + or - 5Ev!

no dust clone tools, and no localised editing(ie. color control points and/or selection control points, gradients or nuthin!).

So far, after about 1/2 hour mucking about, it'll be a great replacement for ViewNX2.
    If it's a replacement for CaptureNX2 ... it's quite a disappointment.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Moderately Underexposed
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurking83 View Post
    Not sure if it's a replacement for CNX2, or ViewNX2?
    First paragraph says it all unfortunately -----

http://www.nikon.com/news/2014/0225_soft_02.htm

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OH!

Technically this is not a replacement for CNX2, as it's a major backward step in 'ability'.
    File handling is fast at least, much faster on my D800 files than CNX2.
    Many good features available, such as direct comparions between images, and before/after comparos .. etc.

Keywording is a major backward step, in this release, and the keywords I've added to images via Nikon Transfer2 are nowhere to be seen in NX-D either.
    Once they've added this ability, and localised editing tools, and cloning tools, and ......

As is, it'd make a great replacement for VNX2.

Add the missing features/tools currently available in CNX2, plus a couple of bonus features/tools as well, and we'll have a half decent CNX2 replacement.

The interface needs a bit of adjustment to your current mind set tho.
    It's very Lightroom-ish as is.
    The tool palette(on the RHS) is very RawTherapee in the way it operates(rather than LR), but overall, it has a LR feel about it.

Well!
    At least we now know that they haven't abandoned CaptureNX, even tho they've taken a small step backwards with it so far.
    We'll have to wait till 'the summer' to see what's going to happen in the long run.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The more I play with it, the more I like the way it works, and what it can achieve.

But with caveats!
    Compared to CaptureNX2, it's pretty much crap. The inability to dodge and burn a bit, and increase decrease contrast/colour/brightness levels in localized areas is infuriating!
    But compared to ViewNX2, it's a joy to use, as the vast majority of editing I do is done in View. Simple stuff like undo/redo NR, vignetting and so on.

Just did a batch of stuff in both View and CNX-D and CNX-D didn't require the use of CNX2, where a few of the 60 images via VNX2 needed to be sent to CNX2 for me to finish(or undo what Nikon seems to think is necessary!)

Anyhow, anyone else thinking of using CNX-D for serious stuff should note that Nikon even claims that any edits made via the beta version, may not be readable by any future version of this same software!
    So your use of this beta version(if you wish to accept) .. is only going to be for evaluative purposes for now.

We can only hope that Nikon see fit to complete the feature set in the final version, which includes backwards compatibility with NEFs edited in both VNX2 and CNX2 to begin with .. and then some of the other features and abilities that are deemed necessary nowadays in image editing software.

There's also word around the net that this software is based upon(of all things) SilkyPix!
    Now there's a small pile of software I would never deem fit for use on Nikon raw files!
    But in saying that, and if it's true .. it's nothing like the version of SilkyPix that came with one of my Tamron lenses recently.