User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: help please re retouching

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

help please re retouching

my MIL has asked me if I can retouch some photos for her - only trouble is they are scanned copies of newspaper photos - ie printed in the newspaper. Is anyone aware of any software that can do this sort of thing. I wouldn't have thought it possible. I use LR and pshop but I'm not aware if they can be used for this type of retouching. Any thoughts would be most appreciated.
    thanks
    Judy
    Canon 5DII, Tamron AF 28-300mm F/3.5-6.3, Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM , Canon EF 50mm F1.4 USM, Lensbaby Sweet 35, 580EXII, Manfrotto Tripod, CS3 & LR5
    http://www.pbase.com/judyd

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Photoshop can certainly do it and a quick Google search produces many tutorials and articles.

Aside from any possible copyright infringement of taking the photos from the newspaper, I would first manage the MIL's expectations of quality. My rule of thumb is that if you start with a poor quality image then you are usually going to get a poor quality result, even with good processing skills. A newspaper quality image further degraded by scanning is going to provide a good image for memories to put on Facebook and the like, but not so good if you want to enlarge and frame it.

That's not to say you should not try it, just manage the expectations.

Perpetually Bewildered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Judy have you thought about contacting the newspaper to see if you can get some prints directly from them? Would cost obviously, but would likely be a better result and less time consuming than retouching. State libraries, etc often have copies of newspapers on microfiche (or maybe more modern tech these days) so that might also be a source.

Cheers.
    Phil.

Some Nikon stuff. I shoot Mirrorless and Mirrorlessless.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fess67 View Post
    Photoshop can certainly do it and a quick Google search produces many tutorials and articles.

Aside from any possible copyright infringement of taking the photos from the newspaper, I would first manage the MIL's expectations of quality. My rule of thumb is that if you start with a poor quality image then you are usually going to get a poor quality result, even with good processing skills. A newspaper quality image further degraded by scanning is going to provide a good image for memories to put on Facebook and the like, but not so good if you want to enlarge and frame it.

That's not to say you should not try it, just manage the expectations.
    thanks so much fess67 I had no idea this could be done in ps - i now know a little more about halftones lol. and yes i've just sent off an email to the MIL with an example and suggesting that if its important she might try a professional retoucher.
    Judy

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by fillum View Post
    Judy have you thought about contacting the newspaper to see if you can get some prints directly from them? Would cost obviously, but would likely be a better result and less time consuming than retouching. State libraries, etc often have copies of newspapers on microfiche (or maybe more modern tech these days) so that might also be a source.
    thanks for this fillum - given the photo was taken in the 50's I'm assuming the MIL has been down that path but I will pass this on. thanks again
    Judy

Cheers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    photoshop elements 12 apparently has this feature in it and takes just a few minutes.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks MusKat